Telephone Or Adapter For Voip

princealbert

These may seem really simple questions but i am no techy and would really appreciate any advise.

Ok so i am almost there with my broadband connection. (allegedly Thursday)

I prefer to use handset opposed to headset. (old habits die hard)

Do i need to buy a voip phone or adapter for my present telephone ?

Either way any recommendtions on what and where ?

If a voip adapter can i use with my present cordless phone ?

Many Thanks

Hey Marc,

Old habits die hard, and are <deleted> expensive, when it comes to VoIP. The adaptor and/or handset combo will probably cost something around 100 EU.

If you have a laptop (as I do) you can buy a cheesy looking little earbud with mini boom style mic that plugs into the mic/in and audio/out. Costs about 200 B at IT City (Panthip Plaza). The savings will pay for about 3 years worth of phone calls on Skype.... :o

McG

Hey Marc,

Old habits die hard, and are <deleted> expensive, when it comes to VoIP. The adaptor and/or handset combo will probably cost something around 100 EU.

If you have a laptop (as I do) you can buy a cheesy looking little earbud with mini boom style mic that plugs into the mic/in and audio/out. Costs about 200 B at IT City (Panthip Plaza). The savings will pay for about 3 years worth of phone calls on Skype.... :o

McG

Hi Mark

I have a nice Labtec headset/mike i used to use for conversations on msn messenger when back in the UK, is this any good ? or will this also need an adapter also ? but really do want to use a handset.

Eh 100 EU ?? how much in baht ??

That headset/mic combination should work perfectly. No other hardware needed. Just download the software, and you should be good to go.

McG

Thanks for that McG

Dont like to spend money where i dont have to.

Probably just had too many years pressing buttons and gonna be another habit i must break.

That headset/mic combination should work perfectly. No other hardware needed. Just download the software, and you should be good to go.

McG

Thanks for that McG

Dont like to spend money where i dont have to.

Probably just had too many years pressing buttons and gonna be another habit i must break.

Of course you can buy a USB connected wireless handset, with backlit buttons, call forwarding, all the gizmos. But it will cost you dearly. For those who are multi-tasking wizards, who like to stride about the room while talking, gesticulating madly in the air, then I say by all means spend the money. It took me a while to get used to being glued to my laptop during a call, but now no problem.

BTW, if you have difficulties setting up the audio, Blinky Bill recently posted an excellent tutorial (specific to Skype) for adjusting settings.

I had no problem with my laptop, using the Windows default audio settings, but IF you have difficulties, PM me and I'll send you the link.

McG

These may seem really simple questions but i am no techy and would really appreciate any advise.

Ok so i am almost there with my broadband connection. (allegedly Thursday)

I prefer to use handset opposed to headset. (old habits die hard)

Do i need to buy a voip phone or adapter for my present telephone ?

Either way any recommendtions on what and where ?

If a voip adapter can i use with my present cordless phone ?

Many Thanks

If your computer has bluetooth you can get a wireless bluetooth headset and once your voip call is connected you can wander around the room talking. Depending on the construction materials your living space is made of, you could possibly wander to another room and keep on talking. Even if your machine did not come with bluetooth, you can get a bluetooth usb dongle [hold the dongle jokes :-) ] that would give the machine bluetooth capability. Keep watching, voip phones are starting to take off and the prices should be falling in the next few years. Good luck.

If your computer has bluetooth you can get a wireless bluetooth headset and once your voip call is connected you can wander around the room talking. Depending on the construction materials your living space is made of, you could possibly wander to another room and keep on talking. Even if your machine did not come with bluetooth, you can get a bluetooth usb dongle [hold the dongle jokes :-) ] that would give the machine bluetooth capability. Keep watching, voip phones are starting to take off and the prices should be falling in the next few years. Good luck.

Just so happens i have a dongle that i use to transfer photos and video from my mobile phone, will this be compatable with all bluetooth headsets ?