Has Thailand over achieved while next door, Cambodia is complacent?

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

No Grab or Bolt? $40 is steep

Yes indeed. Grab, Bolt , local Passapp tuk-tuk's etc. are not allowed to meet passengers outside "Arrivals" - Chinese regulation (they own the airport). One is expected to use one of their taxis or minibuses. There is an infrequent airport bus service, 4 journeys per day! HOWEVER you can book a taxi, car, tuk-tuk etc in advance whose driver/agent will meet you at arrivals and convey you to the vehicle in the visitor's carpark. If you have a pre-booked hotel, it will advise you of, and arrange transportation for you. Some arriving passengers will share a taxi to help reduce the cost. Please note, there is also a toll to use the new road into the airport. You cannot avoid.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. Grab, Bolt , local Passapp tuk-tuk's etc. are not allowed to meet passengers outside "Arrivals" - Chinese regulation (they own the airport). One is expected to use one of their taxis or minibuses. There is an infrequent airport bus service, 4 journeys per day! HOWEVER you can book a taxi, car, tuk-tuk etc in advance whose driver/agent will meet you at arrivals and convey you to the vehicle in the visitor's carpark. If you have a pre-booked hotel, it will advise you of, and arrange transportation for you. Some arriving passengers will share a taxi to help reduce the cost. Please note, there is also a toll to use the new road into the airport. You cannot avoid.

Sounds grim. Can use Grab etc easy in Thai airports now.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, BangkokReady said:

You genuinely believe that Cambodia has fully recovered from the Khmer Rouge?

That's ridiculous.

Japanese have totally rebuilt their country.

How long does it take?

UK was devastated from German bombs.

We rebuilt.

On 7/10/2024 at 6:23 PM, susanlea said:

Can I take a rental car across border???

I don't know ..I am driving my own car.

8 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Japanese have totally rebuilt their country.

How long does it take?

UK was devastated from German bombs.

We rebuilt.

Both those countries were free and had assistance from people acting in good faith and niether suffered as much as Cambodia. Cambodia is run by very bad people and most of the tourist money never goes to locals. They don't really compare at all.

I'm surprised you don't know this if you've spent any time in Cambodia.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Both those countries were free and had assistance from people acting in good faith and niether suffered as much as Cambodia. Cambodia is run by very bad people and most of the tourist money never goes to locals. They don't really compare at all.

Then the people need to rise and rebel like they had to do in the UK .

Better to live like a lion for a day than a sheep for a lifetime.

By the way,I have been building toilet blocks, with my own money, in the countryside of Cambodia as women were getting raped in the fields when they went to do their ablutions.

What have you been doing?

Edited by Scouse123
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

People have got to help themselves sometimes.

I have given money to tuk tuk drivers and taxi drivers, like probably you and many others here have for service provided.

The first thing they do with the money is go get sloshed with their mates.

Kids and wives are way down the agenda.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I live in Cambodia and have done so for the past 4 years.  In respect to "tourist money never goes to locals" I totally disagree. Here in Siem Reap, probably the busiest and most popular destination, thousands of tourists provide incomes for many Khmer people working at Angkor Wat with its Archaeological Park, other tourist attractions (botanic gardens, aquarium, museums, Kulen Mountain, silk farm & village etc.) bars and restaurants throughout the city (Pub Street for example), hotels and guest houses, souvenir and related businesses, transportation such as tuk-tuk's of various types,  tour guides, and so on, and so on keeping thousands of local people in regular employment. The only money that goes to the Cambodian Government is in taxes such as VAT and excise duty (alcoho, cigarettes, gasoline etc.) and income from Government owned establishments.

Yes, Cambodia has been run with an iron fist by the Hun family and its political party CPP (Cambodian Peoples Party) for many years. Hun Sen is no longer PM and his son Hun Manet has the honour. Hun Manet was educated in the USA and the UK, unlike his father. Hun Sen is now 71 years old and President of the Senate. There are faint glimmers on the horizon (such as two additional political parties in Parliament) and who knows what will happen when Hun Sen passes away. (ref. Google)

HRH King Noradom Sihamoni is a Constitutional Monarch and very rarely gets involved in politics. He promotes art and culture in Cambodia.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

By the way,I have been building toilet blocks, with my own money, in the countryside of Cambodia as women were getting raped in the fields when they went to do their ablutions.

What have you been doing?

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

You doing charitable things in Cambodia doesn't suddenly make you not wrong about what you said.

🙄

27 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

In respect to "tourist money never goes to locals" I totally disagree.

Well, actually, I totally disagree with this statement also, since that wasn't what I actually said. 🙄

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, actually, I totally disagree with this statement also, since that wasn't what I actually said. 🙄

I was quoting what you said - read your post again!!

No further comment from me.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I was quoting what you said - read your post again!!

You absolutely weren't. Read your post again.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

No further comment from me.

Lol. Imagine being completely wrong then noping out like you said something smart.🙄

On 7/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, BangkokReady said:

You genuinely believe that Cambodia has fully recovered from the Khmer Rouge?

That's ridiculous.

It was 1975-1979. That is now 45 years ago, if you take 1979 as the overthrow of the Khmer Rouge when Vietnam made a stand, invaded, and sorted them out.

A load of those Khmer Rouge monsters are still in Cambodian government today.

Only the people can remove them.

However, most of the young population of Cambodia weren't even born.

It's time to move on and get past it.

They can't sit forever making a living selling books on the tragedy that happened.

Even now, if you mention Hun Sen, they all want to whisper as they are terrified of him.

Anyway, that's me done.

No further comments on it.

I love the Cambodians and my heart goes out to them genuinely.

I am back there in two weeks, yet again taking a group of friends, Thai and Malaysian.

16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

You doing charitable things in Cambodia doesn't suddenly make you not wrong about what you said.

🙄

Don't agree.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Have a good day.

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

It was 1975-1979. That is now 45 years ago, if you take 1979 as the overthrow of the Khmer Rouge when Vietnam made a stand, invaded, and sorted them out.

A load of those Khmer Rouge monsters are still in Cambodian government today.

Only the people can remove them.

However, most of the young population of Cambodia weren't even born.

It's time to move on and get past it.

They can't sit forever making a living selling books on the tragedy that happened.

Even now, if you mention Hun Sen, they all want to whisper as they are terrified of him.

Anyway, that's me done.

No further comments on it.

I love the Cambodians and my heart goes out to them genuinely.

I am back there in two weeks, yet again taking a group of friends, Thai and Malaysian.

So you admit you're wrong and just say that it's the people's fault for not overthrowing the government?  An odd response.

Edited by BangkokReady

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Don't agree.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Have a good day.

Well, you're wrong regardless of whether you do nice things for Cambodians.

But I hope you have a nice day also.

18 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So you admit you're wrong and just say that it's the people's fault for not overthrowing the government?  An odd response.

Nope.

Not wrong.

Only the people within can make the changes of government.

It's a dictatorship, what can outsiders do?

Just now, Scouse123 said:

Nope.

Not wrong.

Only the people within can make the changes of government.

It's a dictatorship, what can outsiders do?

They haven't recovered, that's why what you said is wrong.  The fact that it might be "their fault" for not staging a revolution is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They haven't recovered, that's why what you said is wrong.  The fact that it might be "their fault" for not staging a revolution is irrelevant.

So you advocate selling books to foreigners on the 1975-1979 era, when most of them were not born, and children begging in bars and not going to school because their parents find this method a means of survival more profitable, because that is what is happening.

It's like the milk scams where the Cambodian woman approaches you and says she doesn't want money but could I buy her milk powder for her baby, they rent these babies, they are not even their babies, and as soon as you walk away, they are selling the milk powder back to the shops.

They need to get educated, get to school and build up Cambodia, not sit on the floor saying' Poor old me '

It's that kind of thinking holding them back.

Sure, it's not easy, but you have to start somewhere.