Prachuap Khiri Khan ranks 4th for Malaria infections in Thailand

image.jpeg

The Provincial Public Health Office has convened a task force to expedite malaria eradication efforts, aiming to monitor the situation closely and effectively control the outbreak.

On July 3, 2024 at the Ratchapakdi Meeting Room of the Prachuap Khiri Khan Provincial Public Health Office, Mr. Somkid Jantamrot, the Governor of the province, assigned Mr. Kittiphong Sukhpakul, Deputy Governor, to chair the malaria eradication task force meeting. In attendance were Mr. Samran Pengsawat, Deputy Provincial Public Health Doctor, heads of government departments, civil servants, and other related parties.

Thailand has reported 8,236 cases of malaria this year, a slight decrease of 0.28% compared to the same period last year. The provinces with the highest numbers of cases are:

Tak: 3,605 cases (46.2%)
Kanchanaburi: 1,034 cases (12.6%)
Mae Hong Son: 886 cases (10.7%)
Prachuap Khiri Khan: 855 cases (10.3%)
Ratchaburi: 455 cases (5.5%)

By Online Reporter

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-07-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Not unexpected. There is a considerable amount of jungle in that area so will get more chance of getting Malaria

That is only relative, incidentally, my understanding was that Malaria was dying out in Thailand and Dengue was much more prevalent.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:53 PM, Peterphuket said:

That is only relative, incidentally, my understanding was that Malaria was dying out in Thailand and Dengue was much more prevalent.

Dengue is a form of Malaria

27 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Complete different, you can get vaccinated against malaria, but then you are not protected against dengue.

You can get tablets for Malaria but Dengue you cant because it is a combination of several forms of Malaria.

According to -

https://www.makatimed.net.ph/blogs/malaria-vs-dengue-how-are-they-different/

- the only common factor between the two is that they are both spread by a mosquito bite, albeit from different types. Malaria is spread by an infected female Anopheles mosquito, whereas dengue is spread by the Aedes mosquito.

Also, malaria is an infectious disease caused by a parasite, while dengue is a viral infection.

There is a vaccine available for malaria, but it is limited in its use - mainly to children. Refer -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_vaccine

The tablets referred to by Photoguy21 are prophylaxis. They work by killing the malaria parasite present in the bloodstream. In other words, they only work when you are infected with the malaria parasite. It doesn't stop you from getting malaria (you have to stop an infected mosquito from bitig you to do that), but by killing the parasites in your bloodstream, it reduces the chances of developing full blown malaria.

Refer also -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_prophylaxis

Dengue is NOT a combination of, or a variation of, any form of malaria. There is no specific cure for dengue. However, according to -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever 

- there are two types of dengue vaccine that have been approved and are commercially available. Again with limited uses.

Just to reiterrate, dengue is completely different to malaria.

Getting back to the article, it would be helpful to know the percentages of the types of malaria in Thailand, as there are 5 species of Plasmodium that commonly infect humans. The 3 most concerning are P. falciparum (responsible for the vast majority of malaria deaths), P. vivax, and P. knowlesi (a simian malaria that spills over into thousands of people a year).

For many years I went to Hua Hin for a month 3 times every year but stopped going there because every room, shrub, stagnant water feature outside houses and the drains were  infested with mosquitos that came out in clouds around 6 or 7pm everyday, it is the only place in Thailand were I always bought mosie spray and applied it to the room and the door and door frame as I went out in the evening.

The city council would make a valiant attempt to fumigate the drains around the city from time to time but I think that was more to exterminate the rat population.

I wish the city officials every success in dealing with this problem but I feel that it requires a much more extreme and concerted effort along with greater public education to bring the problem under control especially now that the city is about 10 times larger than it was when I used to go there.