Major Medical Emergency Travel Insurance Recommendations

I have booked a flight for the Philippines and am planning on going to Thailand, Cambodia, and maybe Japan.

I am looking for Medical Emergency Medical Insurance.  Just to cover major medical in case I break my arm, have a heart attack, or get in some accident.

Can anyone recommend me some good decently priced options?  What companies are good?  If I need regular medical attention I will just go to to someone local and pay out of pocket.

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

How many days travelling? Activities planned to do? Motorbike, passenger of motorbike taxi, diving?

Four months?

I'm in the United States and am considering going with Berkshire Hathaway Travel Insurance.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kingofallasians said:

I'm going for four months, is the price usually $1000 usd?

Last time I had travel insurance it was 140 euro a month, but that insurance company do not insure Us citicens. Have you tried some of the comparizon pages, or best in "test" ? 

However 140 euro a month, running until I cancelled it, and my age 54 at the time

8 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

I'm going for four months, is the price usually $1000 usd?

Well I do not know your age but a mid 60's person who chose not to insure flight would be $270 for four months/123 days of $100k medical coverage & 500k Evac thru their iTravelInsured Travel Lite plan  

If you wanted say $250k medical coverage it would be roughly $600 on their iTravelInsured Travel SE plan

This is to insure US citizen but not while in US & using Thailand as main destination

Edited by mania
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, kingofallasians said:

I am looking for Medical Emergency Medical Insurance.  Just to cover major medical in case I break my arm, have a heart attack, or get in some accident.

According to a Travel Insurance site I was looking at (can't remember which one) a broken arm is considered to be something very minor which nobody need worry about insuring for as they could pay 'out of pocket'! It would be a stroke, heart attack or an accident rendering you unconscious and/or immobile that would be of concern. The option of whether to include medical evacuation (MedEvac) pushes up the premium. MedEvac cover would obviously be most advantageous for those of us entitled to free medical treatment in our home country. Something to check for are exclusions for 'hazardous activities'. Claims can (and do) get refused where someone was intoxicated. As a yardstick, blood alcohol above the drink-drive limit would preclude a claim. Hire of motorcycles is often a very bad idea, especially for people who don't hold motorcycle licences in their home country.

at the end of the day you know in your own heart that whatever you are told on here there is no way you are going to avoid doing what everybody else has had to do.  That being wasting what could amount to hours of ones life scouring the internet for the best price .  So instead of wasting even more time on here, you might as well just resign yourself to it and crack on with the task