Sleepy Driver Causes Accident in Songkhla, Killing 3, Injuring 2

image.jpeg

In a devastating turn of events yesterday, a severe traffic accident on the Songkhla-Natawee Road in southern Thailand has claimed the lives of three individuals, including the driver believed to have caused the accident by falling asleep at the wheel. This grievous incident also left two others with serious injuries requiring immediate hospitalization.

The collision, which occurred in the late afternoon, involved a head-on clash between two pickup trucks: a black Isuzu D-Max and a bronze Nissan Navavara.

According to surveillance footage and skid marks at the scene, it is suspected that the driver of the Isuzu, a woman traveling alone, succumbed to fatigue and veered across the central reservation into oncoming traffic.

The scene described by authorities painted a picture of destruction, with the fronts of both vehicles severely damaged.

Emergency services, including responders from the Chanong Sub-district and Nitimittaparb Rescue Foundations, were quick to the scene, extricating trapped victims and rushing the injured to the nearest hospital.

The deceased have been identified tentatively based on the vehicle registrations and initial investigations, though their names have yet to be released pending family notifications.

The two passengers in the Nissan, who survived the impact, are currently in critical condition, with local hospitals providing updates on their recovery progress.

Authorities are urging drivers to ensure they are well-rested before undertaking journeys and to take regular breaks to prevent such tragedies.

The local police chief emphasized the importance of road safety awareness and mentioned that an investigation is ongoing to further understand the dynamics of the crash and assist in future preventive measures.

This heartbreaking incident serves as a grim reminder of the dangers of driving while fatigued, urging the community to take heed and prioritize safety to avoid further loss of life on the roads.

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Geezus,  just goes to show the damage caused two moving vehicles coming to a sudden stop. 

Enough to knock your fillings outta your teeth. 

Nasty result, I feel for those on the recovery path... It's gonna take time. 

Seatbelts ?  We will never know but what i do know is that every Thai that gets into my Car has no intention of putting on a Seatbelt until i tell them that if they don't wear one they will not be travelling in my Car !

• Agree 2

Seat belts!!! I have been in taxis ( briefly ) were the driver had a belt T piece shoved in the opposite connector to stop the clanger going off and his belt and both of the rear belts had been removed from the car, this highly intelligent “dummy” sorry driver considered himself far more clever than anyone else, because he drove every where at 160Kph so all the accidents were behind him.

On 7/9/2024 at 3:08 AM, webfact said:

it is suspected that the driver of the Isuzu, a woman traveling alone, succumbed to fatigue and veered across the central reservation into oncoming traffic

I suspect that she was using her best friend - her mobile phone.