Foreigner and Thai woman get into heated argument on BTS (video)

Thais know how to swear to at farangs saying it is rude but she will use it when needed happens everywhere.The train was not full people have to get closer too allow more people in,that woman is not special  and for her to have more space,she must let people crowd her and let others on the train too.Simple push up like everyone else does and more people can travel.what did she expect on a crowded train in bangkok

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 10:30 PM, Bday Prang said:

whether he is an american citizen or not is irrelevant  so the "best of your knowledge" is neither here nor there,  where does it mention that the guy desrcibed in the OP is an  American citizen.?    It does not,  I'm from the UK.  When I hear Jackie Chan speak English I can clearly detect the American influence in his speech  mixed up with his natural chinese accent.  It would appear you are either tone deaf, hard of hearing, or just looking for an argument, probably all 3   Try again

Jackie's English is very good but his accent is NOT American. That is the point.

I'm responding to this ridiculous notion that according to this story, the man looked Chinese but spoke in an American accent. In other words, he was probably one of the millions of Chinese-Americans.

On 7/14/2024 at 4:41 PM, Dogmatix said:

Both behaved badly but the American should not have used the F word in my opinion. Telling her that she didn't understand English (when her English is very good) and didn't realize that the F word is not rude was childish and racist.  So on balance he was worse than her. 

Her English isn't that good. It's about average for a Thai person.

I realize he may have been a bit out of line but she clearly didn't want to listen to what he had to say.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:05 PM, Evil Penevil said:

Foreigners, whether tourists or on any type of visa,  are indeed guests in Thailand because they are NOT Thai subjects and therefore DON'T have a right to live in, or even visit, the country.  Foreigners are allowed to enter and remain in Thailand at the discretion of the Thai government and by extention, the Thai people.  If Thai authorities say to a foreigner "You can't come in," or "It's time to go," or "Don't ever come back," that's entirely within their purview as representatives of the "host." 

The analogy between a houseguest and a visitor to a foreign  is actually an apt one.  If you can't abide by the "house rules"  regarding a guest's behavior, then you shouldn't accept the home owner's hospitality.  You can't expect the host to change his lifestyle, daily routine, preferences, whatever, to suit you.  That's just common sense and basic manners.

Same-same with a country.  Thailand has long-standing and firmly established customers, traditions, culture, religious practices, etc.  You don't have to agree with them, but if you're going to live here, you have to respect the Thai way of doing things and adapt to it.  Thailand's 72 million people aren't going to change to please you.

Whether it is luck, skill or the hand of Buddha,  I've never had any problems adapting to Thailand.  During all the years I visited or lived in Thailand, I never got into a violent dispute with a Thai male or female, nor did I ever think any Thai expected me to lick his feet.  If had encountered such hassles, that would have been the day I decided to leave and never return.

But it's also clear if you look down on Thais and regard them as "third-world people," you will indeed encounter problems.  You're better off sticking to coutries where you feel the people treat you as an equal.

That's the case in ANY country, in theory at least.

No, only the government can decide whether a foreigner can come and stay or not. Thai citizens who don't work for immigration have no say in the matter.

Just like we in the west have no say when it comes to whether we want to be replaced through mass immigration. No one asked for our permission. No matter what our opinion is, and how unpopular mass immigration is, it continues because governments do what they want, irrespective of what their citizens want.

It's the same in Thailand. The government allows masses of foreigners to come in as tourists and some of these become expats. The Thai people have no say in this. I'm pretty sure a lot of Thais don't want 40 million tourists a year, nor do they accept the presence of millions of migrant workers. Yet every year there are more tourists, more expats and more migrant workers.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:41 PM, novacova said:

100% American, from the north mid-west by his accent. Probably most likely not of Chinese descent. 

You need glasses and to do a simple Google search. Jackie Chan is Chinese born and clearly Asian. His accent is NOT American. Yes, perhaps there is a hint of an American accent but it's still largely Chinese. His English is of course, very good. 

On 7/14/2024 at 12:04 AM, Confuscious said:

A few years ago, when they had nothing to eat and no jobs because of COVID, they were very happy to get free lunchboxes and free drink water from the foreigners.

Now, barely 2 years later, they hate the same foreigners who feeded them and want them kicked out of the country.

NEVER FEED A SNAKE BECAUSE WHEN IT SEE AN OPPORTUNITY IT WILL KILL YOU!!!!

Foreigners cooking food for Thais, even during Covid and for free, is illegal and we know how that went down. Foreigners were threatened with deportation.

On 7/14/2024 at 7:13 AM, FruitPudding said:

I learned their language to intermediate level. I can even read a bit.

Largely a waste of time, to be honest.

So many better things I could do with my time here that would benefit me more: exercise, read novels,  do chores, work a side job, do my hobby, spend time with loved ones, watch TV, go for a massage, relax, take a nap, etc etc

How do you watch Thai TV if you can't understand Thai? How do you go for a massage if you can't speak Thai?

If you want to live here, learn the language. Same as Afghan refugees do when they migrate to Sweden. They learn Swedish (OK, not all of them, but surely many of them do). 

If you can't speak Thai, you'll never be able to communicate effectively with those you live amongst. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2024 at 8:53 AM, Dr. Zorg said:

I hate travelling by Sky train during rush hour.

I hate getting stuck in traffic during rush hour.

There you have it: Catch 22.

I don't like either but I'd prefer the second one. Sitting in the comfort and privacy of my own car is far superior and preferable to being stuck in a metal box with thousands of sweaty strangers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

I don't like either but I'd prefer the second one. Sitting in the comfort and privacy of my own car is far superior and preferable to being stuck in a metal box with thousands of sweaty strangers. 

Yes.

But in your private metal box you will be stuck for hours, no end in sight. 

In BTS, at least you know how long it's going to last.

48 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

How do you watch Thai TV if you can't understand Thai?

Who watches Thai TV? I would find it irritating. It's so primitive.

How do you go for a massage if you can't speak Thai?

Who speaks to their masseuse?

If you want to live here, learn the language.

I am at intermediate level in Thai. It's enough for me.

Same as Afghan refugees do when they migrate to Sweden. They learn Swedish (OK, not all of them, but surely many of them do). 

Isn't Sweden the rape capital of Europe now because of refugees?

If you can't speak Thai, you'll never be able to communicate effectively with those you live amongst. 

You are really jumping to a lot of assumptions here. 

I communicate more than enough with the locals. I don't desire any deep conversations in Thai,  nor do I think I'd find any.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, Lorry said:

Yes.

But in your private metal box you will be stuck for hours, no end in sight. 

In BTS, at least you know how long it's going to last.

Depends. It's almost never that bad unless you're heading into the city on a Friday afternoon. 

On 7/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, FruitPudding said:

Who watches Thai TV? I would find it irritating. It's so primitive.

Who speaks to their masseuse?

I am at intermediate level in Thai. It's enough for me.

Isn't Sweden the rape capital of Europe now because of refugees?

You are really jumping to a lot of assumptions here. 

I communicate more than enough with the locals. I don't desire any deep conversations in Thai,  nor do I think I'd find any.

Point 2 - I do. 

Agree with you on point 4 only.

Point 5 - that's a strange one. One would think that the more you can speak the local lingo, the better.