Apartment Lease Terms are they hard set?

I am using Fazwaz to view apartments before I arrive in Thailand.

I notice that a lot of listings are for 6 months to a year.

Is that a hard set issue with most places?  I am thinking of staying 3 to 5 months in Thailand possibly.  Will the rent price go up significantly?

Are there places available on a month to month basis in case I decide I want to stay in different places like BKK, Udon Thani, Chang Mai?

Why don't you make a shortlist and then ask Fazwaz if any are negotiable over lease duration - my guess would be a resounding "No!"

Even if you can find a place then the rent will go up significantly, particularly if your proposed stay in within the November to April season.

I spend half of my time in Thailand (two ninety-day visits) and I rent my apartment a year at a time with full payment up-front for exactly these reasons.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

Is that a hard set issue with most places? 

Yes, with most places. 

7 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

I am thinking of staying 3 to 5 months in Thailand possibly.  Will the rent price go up significantly?

Yes

I've found most 'Landlords' and agents to be flexible ' on the ground' here in Thailand.  Generally they think in terms of monthly, six monthly and yearly rental rates but you may be able to negotiate 3-5 monthly rates depending on supply and demand.  As mentioned by others less flexibility if you're commencing in the high season ,Nov- March/April, in a popular tourist location

14 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

Is that a hard set issue with most places?  I am thinking of staying 3 to 5 months in Thailand possibly.  Will the rent price go up significantly?

Are there places available on a month to month basis in case I decide I want to stay in different places like BKK, Udon Thani, Chang Mai?

6 months will be hard to find.

You can look serviced apartments which give you the flexibility you want. But it is a price issue.

Serviced you need to bring nothing but yr personal stuff. It's furnised, equipped, gets cleaned.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:33 AM, kingofallasians said:

facebook groups   short term lease or take over

regular agents want 1 year, as they get their 1 month...

landlord does not want to pay agent more then once a year...

sorry for asking offtopic, but does anyone notice some thai apartments are starting to decline foreign tenants?

back in the day i could just walk into those 4000B small apts and even move in on that day, but 2 apts ive been this month,

they declined cus im a foreigner. (oman to be exact)

I heard from a mate that the immigration rules that was set around 10 yrs ago? requires the landlord to report detail of any foreigners in their premises or face some hefty fine.

In the case of condos which are individually owned, its quite hard to track down instead of whole apt owned by a single private party.

what you tink?

Plenty of month to month in Bangkok. Building will have a for rent sign hanging. Not the greatest neighborhoods. Working class Thai's don't often sign long term leases, it's pay every month. Not on the property listing websites, those seem to be mostly agents listing for commission.

Stay in a guesthouse and look for the apartment buildings with Thai lettering on the outside. They are usually hidden behind nicer condo buildings (not on the main street).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my guestimation built upon having to search for two condos in two years is that landlords and agents want a full year commitment. Sone ads will say six months, but I'd expect not only rent to be much higher but probably keep your deposit as well. My advice would be to look at serviced apartments. Don't bother with the local flats (4500-6500) for many reasons especially if you can't speak Thai. Moreover, they will want year/s commitment. From their perspective they need to clean the flat, have it vacant, hire an agent again, TM30 hassle for you (many apt managers will be unfamiliar). In general, short term rentals are a total hassle for everyone except the renter. Expect to pay more. If you do go with a real cheapie be certain the door is very secure and you are a minimum of three floors above ground level. As you wish to move about I can't think of a worse idea than renting a condo six months. The energy it takes to find good places is quite a bit. Someone mentioned guesthouses and I'd second that. They will discount by week/s usually as well. I dislike Abnb and therefore not recommend but that's an option obviously

Edited by BobDobbs
add
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

In my guestimation built upon having to search for two condos in two years is that landlords and agents want a full year commitment. Sone ads will say six months, but I'd expect not only rent to be much higher but probably keep your deposit as well. My advice would be to look at serviced apartments. Don't bother with the local flats (4500-6500) for many reasons especially if you can't speak Thai. Moreover, they will want year/s commitment. From their perspective they need to clean the flat, have it vacant, hire an agent again, TM30 hassle for you (many apt managers will be unfamiliar). In general, short term rentals are a total hassle for everyone except the renter. Expect to pay more. If you do go with a real cheapie be certain the door is very secure and you are a minimum of three floors above ground level. As you wish to move about I can't think of a worse idea than renting a condo six months. The energy it takes to find good places is quite a bit. Someone mentioned guesthouses and I'd second that. They will discount by week/s usually as well. I dislike Abnb and therefore not recommend but that's an option obviously

Agreed. When I move around I invariably end up in substandard places (ironically, places that I'm happy to leave). That would be while paying for what I would consider a nice place for me on a long term lease.

I need to pay more to get that same standard I want in a short term place.

These vloggers who travel around saying how cheap accomodation is are staying in small substandard accomodations that they would never commit to for a year.

If you do it on Abnb the places that are affordable to your budget won't have the necessities you are used to. I have stayed in many places where I need to by stuff like dishes, floor fans, etc that I am used to having. Then when I move I can't carry it all with me, so need to buy stuff again at the next place (or pay more for a nicer accomodation).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

These vloggers who travel around saying how cheap accomodation is are staying in small substandard accomodations that they would never commit to for a year.

I don't disagree but see it a bit differently

From what I've seen in my limited view of TikTok these folk just outright lie about the prices they pay for condos. They must rent on Airbnb (often before arrival), rent in the most scammy, trendiest places in most touristy area, share the amenities (which no one wants). I also question whether any at all have an actual lease. Their prices seem to have little basis in reality and often they don't reveal the actual size and location (price). One kid constantly lies about his us400 condo and b30 5km moto rides. Ironically, this kid goes shopping, buys fruit and junk food and it's all well overpriced apparently not from Tesco, Makro, Big C. Open markets never. I recall one video of him perhaps paying double for a watermelon thinking it was a fabulous value. It's just click and comment bait. You can tell the way they spend money none will have any staying power over a few years. None have figured out a real strategy for staying long term despite being in 20-30s.

Edited by BobDobbs
  • Like 1