International Thai driving license driving in Japan

I drove on an International licence from Britain in Japan for several months, and in Thailand for several months on an international licence from Japan. I is my (unverified) impression that the international licence scheme requires all countries to respect the licence wherever it comes from. Having said that the Japanese test is very difficult and in no way comparable to the Thai test.

• Confused 1

I don't know about Thailand but in Europe they issue three different models of international driving licenses. 1949 and 1968 if I am not mistaken, the older one only works for Somalia or so. Japan is 1949 model, but e.g. Korea 1968.

• Thanks 1

No such thing as international license. What you have is a permit which is basically a translation of your license. The signatories to the international driving permit will have to accept them. It appears Japan is one of them. 

• Agree 2

From website for Tokyo Metro Police Dept:

IDP in Japan

"Only International Driving Permits (IDPs) issued by a signatory to the 1949 Geneva
Convention in conformity with the Convention’s provisions are recognized as valid
for driving in Japan. An IDP on the other conventions or treaties, including the 1969
Vienna Convention, is invalid even if it is issued by a signatory to the 1949 Geneva
Convention."

Previous poster did allude to the different conventions,

There are three international conventions about IDPs (1926, 1949 and 1968), but if you're interested in driving in Japan, focus on the 1949 Geneva Convention. Japan only recognises the IDP format from this Convention. Japan doesn't accept IDPs from the 1968 convention.

My IDP from Thailand is 1968 convention (So maybe you cannot drive in Japan)

The convention is written on the front of the Thai IDP

Edited by Satcommlee

On 7/15/2024 at 11:21 AM, Satcommlee said:

Previous poster did allude to the different conventions,

There are three international conventions about IDPs (1926, 1949 and 1968), but if you're interested in driving in Japan, focus on the 1949 Geneva Convention. Japan only recognises the IDP format from this Convention. Japan doesn't accept IDPs from the 1968 convention.

My IDP from Thailand is 1968 convention (So maybe you cannot drive in Japan)

The convention is written on the front of the Thai IDP

Thank you