Leaving Thailand, Question About Bangkok Bank SMS notification service

Hi, I'm leaving Thailand and I'm taking all my money out of my BKK bank....when I opened the account they set up this service where I pay 30 Baht a month for the daily balance SMS notifications.  I tried calling them once to turn this feature off but they said I had to go into a branch to do it.  I was just wondering what will happen if theres no money in there for them to take, I think I'd like my account to stay on good terms in case we return another time.... I'm guessing I should pop into the branch before I leave?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 7:54 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You'll be lucky.  With no funds in it, and being dormant, the account will soon be closed.  Don't waste your time going to the branch unless you're going to leave something in the account and make the occasional transaction.

Yeah I doubt I'll transfer anything to it. I know with my Kasikorn bank that I left it for quite some time a few years ago and they never closed it but BKK might be different.

Doesn't matter as we won't be coming back for a long time, I just didn't know if it would go in the red or something. I might still go into the branch and inform them I'm leaving 

I tried doing it at the ATM as it allows you to cancel some sms noto's there but I tried all and it didn't work

It's actually a real PITA, I went out today and the branch near Icon Siam was closed for some reason....and you can't cancel via Phone...what should I do..I don't care about the account I just wondered if it will go in the red or something when they try to deduct 30 baht each month

I don't really have time to mess around, flying in 3 days

I might just call them again tomorrow and ask

Edited by SteveJames
  • Confused 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:52 PM, SteveJames said:

Hi, I'm leaving Thailand and I'm taking all my money out of my BKK bank....when I opened the account they set up this service where I pay 30 Baht a month for the daily balance SMS notifications.  I tried calling them once to turn this feature off but they said I had to go into a branch to do it.  I was just wondering what will happen if theres no money in there for them to take, I think I'd like my account to stay on good terms in case we return another time.... I'm guessing I should pop into the branch before I leave?

Two things. The SMS notification service is actually 15 baht per month 😊 and IF you have an ATM card you can cancel the service via ATM or their Telephone service.  If you are being told to go to a branch, then it appears that you don't have an ATM/Be1st card.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NowNow said:

If you do have an ATM card, then click here: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Account-Alert and scroll down to Enroll Now... to choose your cancellation method.

My sms service for my Be1st Card / Savings account takes 30 baht a month for SMS every evening telling me my balance, I tried to cancel it by phone a few months ago and they told my wife that we'd have to go in to the branch. I'm not here to debate the fee anyway, maybe my service is different because I get texts for transactions and a balance everyday. Mine takes 30 baht every month on the 20th anyway, I've had the account over 4 years.

* If you would like to change your mobile phone number or cancel service, select “Update mobile no.” or “Cancel service” and follow the on-screen instructions, then press “Confirm”.

<Thanks but I tried 2 different ATM machines and followed the instructions and it wouldn't cancel.....I tried all the options...

I might just leave it, they can cancel my account if they want, I don't see why I should go running around for them,I went today and they were closed...we're not planning on coming back to Thailand for at least a year

Edited by SteveJames

2 hours ago, SteveJames said:

My sms service for my Be1st Card / Savings account takes 30 baht a month for SMS every evening telling me my balance, I tried to cancel it by phone a few months ago and they told my wife that we'd have to go in to the branch. I'm not here to debate the fee anyway, maybe my service is different because I get texts for transactions and a balance everyday. Mine takes 30 baht every month on the 20th anyway, I've had the account over 4 years.

* If you would like to change your mobile phone number or cancel service, select “Update mobile no.” or “Cancel service” and follow the on-screen instructions, then press “Confirm”.

<Thanks but I tried 2 different ATM machines and followed the instructions and it wouldn't cancel.....I tried all the options...

I might just leave it, they can cancel my account if they want, I don't see why I should go running around for them,I went today and they were closed...we're not planning on coming back to Thailand for at least a year

When you state that "it wouldn't cancel", do you mean that you pressed the Cancel Service option, but nothing happened? 

But strange that you are being charged 30 baht per month.

Here, even in 2018, it was 15 baht per month: https://aseannow.com/topic/1043489-15-baht-a-month-taken-from-bank-account-every-month/

Could it be that they are charging you for two accounts? 

Edited by NowNow
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NowNow said:

When you state that "it wouldn't cancel", do you mean that you pressed the Cancel Service option, but nothing happened? 

But strange that you are being charged 30 baht per month.

Here, even in 2018, it was 15 baht per month: https://aseannow.com/topic/1043489-15-baht-a-month-taken-from-bank-account-every-month/

Could it be that they are charging you for two accounts? 

I press cancel and then it shows my account number like ***0**123 and says do you want to cancel for this account? and I click confirm, it takes a while processing then returns with something like "account is not registered on this service" ....  but I definitely get a SMS everyday in the evening with my balance or whenever I make a transaction.  And I definitely get charged 30 baht every month on the 20th (for 4 years). I never get charged 15 baht

I only have 1 account, opened in 2020

image.png.e81e343f383584a16ba11d76af29d4f4.png

20 Jul 2024 20:01
Commission/Annual Fee

20 Jun 2024 20:01
Commission/Annual Fee

20 May 2024 20:01
Commission/Annual Fee
Edited by SteveJames
just adding I only have 1 account

11 hours ago, SteveJames said:

I don't care about the account I just wondered if it will go in the red or something when they try to deduct 30 baht each month

Savings account cannot go into the red...they get closed if they're not being used and do not have enough balance to cover transactions.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Savings account cannot go into the red...they get closed if they're not being used and do not have enough balance to cover transactions.

Hopefully they just close it then, I just want to tie up all lose ends - I'll be able to moniter the account from abroad (I just didn't want any surprizes)