Discovery of 'Dark Oxygen' from Deep-Sea Metal Nodules May Prompt Rethink of Life's Origins

Social Media

image.png.6fb97d7e3740119eaea3a6648f401d1d.png

In a groundbreaking discovery, scientists have identified a previously unknown source of oxygen production on the seafloor of the North Pacific Ocean. Researchers working in the Clarion-Clipperton Zone (CCZ) found that metallic nodules scattered across the ocean floor can produce oxygen in complete darkness, without the aid of living organisms. This phenomenon, termed "dark oxygen," challenges existing beliefs about the origins of life on Earth and the processes that contribute to oxygen generation.

The metallic nodules in question, roughly the size of potatoes, are located on the abyssal plains of the Pacific Ocean, which are flat regions of the seafloor lying between 10,000 and 20,000 feet (3,000 to 6,000 meters) below the surface. These polymetallic nodules are primarily composed of oxides of iron and manganese but also contain valuable metals such as cobalt, nickel, lithium, and rare earth elements like cerium, which are essential for electronics and low-carbon technologies.

Scientists discover 'dark' oxygen being produced more than 13,000 feet  below the ocean surface

Andrew Sweetman, a professor and leader of the seafloor ecology and biogeochemistry research group at the Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS), led the study. Initially, Sweetman and his colleagues were skeptical of their findings. "When we first got this data, we thought the sensors were faulty, because every study ever done in the deep sea has only seen oxygen being consumed rather than produced," Sweetman said. However, consistent results from their instruments confirmed that they had discovered something unprecedented.

Published on July 22 in the journal Nature Geoscience, the study reveals that the small metallic nodules found in the CCZ produce oxygen through a process known as seawater electrolysis. In this process, seawater splits into oxygen and hydrogen in the presence of an electric charge. The charge likely originates from the difference in electric potential between metal ions within the nodules, causing a redistribution of electrons.

The implications of this discovery are profound. Until now, scientists believed that Earth's oxygen was naturally produced primarily through photosynthesis and, to a lesser extent, through the oxidation of ammonia—though the latter process produces minimal amounts that are quickly consumed. The detection of oxygen production 13,000 feet (4,000 meters) below the surface, in the absence of light, necessitates a reassessment of our understanding of oxygen generation and the conditions that may have facilitated the emergence of aerobic life on Earth approximately 3.7 billion years ago.

"For aerobic life to begin on the planet, there has to be oxygen, and our understanding has been that Earth's oxygen supply began with photosynthetic organisms," Sweetman explained. "But we now know that there is oxygen produced in the deep sea, where there is no light. I think we therefore need to revisit questions like: where could aerobic life have begun?"

The study's findings also raise concerns about the environmental impact of mining polymetallic nodules. These nodules, which may be essential for deep-sea ecosystems due to their oxygen-producing capabilities, are increasingly targeted for their valuable metal content. Sweetman and his team initially set out to evaluate the potential impacts of mining these nodules on the seafloor ecosystem in the CCZ, an area spanning 1.7 million square miles (4.5 million square kilometers) between Hawaii and Mexico.

Using special experimental chambers, the team measured oxygen concentrations at multiple locations within the CCZ. Contrary to expectations, which suggested a decline in oxygen levels with increasing depth due to the absence of light and photosynthetic organisms, the data revealed steady oxygen emissions from the seabed. This unexpected finding underscores the potential ecological significance of these nodules and the need for careful consideration of their role before proceeding with mining activities.

"Through this discovery, we have generated many unanswered questions, and I think we have a lot to think about in terms of how we mine these nodules, which are effectively batteries in a rock," Sweetman stated. The presence of dark oxygen not only challenges long-held scientific theories but also highlights the need for responsible stewardship of deep-sea resources to preserve the delicate balance of these ecosystems.

Credit: Live Science 2024-07-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I am disappointed that these, so called scientists, failed to understand a few basic electrical/chemical rules regarding the generation of electricity from ionic interaction. 

It happens everywhere around us. Where do you think our internal nervous system gets it's electricity from. 

The sea is a source of sodium which, on the periodic table, is not so far from lithium.

Add a few more elements and you will generate a current flow hence electrolysis.

with cobalt, lithium and rare minerals some unscrupulous countries/companies/people are surely going to find a way to mine this resource. i just hope that if they do it doesnt result in some natural disaster that scientists havent accounted for. they didnt know it was there and the world went on... maybe better to leave well enough alone. unfortunately, if there is a buck to be made, it aint gonna happen

This unexpected finding underscores the potential ecological significance of these nodules and the need for careful consideration of their role before proceeding with mining activities.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

About the oxygen:

Another point to consider is that, at a depth of 3,000 metres the pressure is about 298 atmospheres which is a princely 4,380 psi

So the oxygen would be extremely compressed as it is produced. I am surprised that electrolysis works under those conditions.

I am guessing there must be quite a significant amount of energy to split water at that depth.

In the original article I didn't see any figures or estimates of amounts of oxygen produced or the amount of power to produce it.

16 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

they didnt know it was there and the world went on... maybe better to leave well enough alone. unfortunately, if there is a buck to be made, it aint gonna happen

I entirely agree with this

• Like 1

No mention of exactly what these nodules are comprised of, their age, and what is thought to be their origin?

Important things to know first.

Mankind is already destroying everything on land and polluting the seas, unfortunately now they will destroy the sea life even more. All for greed. Humans are the worst thing that has happened to earth.