Are foreigners taken for granted in Thailand?

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Bob ,and his latest Thai bashing ,he really hates Thai's ,first thing in the

morning ,his first thought ,should I post about dissing Thai's or get my

first drink of the day ,......

regards Worgeordie

How do you know that he is not a teetotaler?

8 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

It isn't any foreigner or any Thai - one example or even many hundreds cannot be generalised to everybody.

When I read the title, I thought maybe this is from Bob, looking to denigrate all Thais and to infer all associated foreigners are gullible enough to fall for the ungrateful Thais.

Also, I have noticed there isn't any "middle ground" with you - Nightmare or Paradise

I have been in Thailand for more than 20 years and in a few different places and, while reading and hearing about some peoples experiences, I certainly do not deny there are those who take advantage and those who let them!

Where I have lived for 7 years now, my life is 95% around Thai people and am satisfied that most of them are not of the characters you write about in your post!

I would say the percentages of good versus bad people, nationally, is pretty much the same here as anywhere else. but  just like everywhere else there will be significant variations in the proportions of each group that one may come into contact with, depending , to a large degree, on one's location, but one's own persona can also have a significant effect.  Most Thais are simply trying to scratch out a living like anybody else,  lets not forget they have no welfare system to fall back on and no nanny state to support them ,

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How do you know that he is not a teetotaler?

You need to read some of his older posts , he's always talking about been pissed , even seems proud of the fact.

regards worgeordie

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You need to read some of his older posts , he's always talking about been pissed , even seems proud of the fact.

regards worgeordie

Thank you, but I may just take your word for it.

They have 40 million visitors a year. 

The vast majority are annoying Indian and Chinese tourists. Bless them for putting up with the probably two worst types of tourists any country could entertain. 

I've seen a hotel receptionist almost reduced tears and pulling her hair out at some of the worst annoying Indian tourists checking in, no grasp of queuing, demanding upgrades, shouting, screaming.

I've seen Chinese tourists empty a buffet in 10 seconds, to the complete horror of the food staff trying to accomodate everyone. 

On 7/30/2024 at 8:12 AM, Celsius said:

What channel? I am in the mood for some schadenfreude.

There used to be a guy called "the good farang" on YouTube. He was in a relationship with a Thai woman who seeker to hate him and would become abusive when drunk, but he seemed complelty oblivious.

He seems to have disappeared now, though.

On 7/30/2024 at 8:03 AM, CharlieH said:

"People do because they wanna do" ! They don't do it for gratitude.The fact that you're able to help others should be enough (for most). 

A nice idea, and true in many cases (charitable donations, for example), but most people at least expect an acknowledgement and a thank you for doing somehting to help another. It's just the polite thing to do.

If you go out of your way to help a friend or family member, and their reaction is one that suggests contempt and entitlement, most people would find that unpleasant and might not want to help that person again in the future.

1 hour ago, ArnieP said:

Plenty of racism and Thai bashing on these forums. If posters find so much wrong with Thailand why do they stay here?

Because the good outweighs the bad and they're just venting and not "Thai bashing" and you need to stop being so negative?

• Agree 1