Enter on Thai Passport leave on non-Thai passport : Is this allowed ?

Hi All,

So my teenage son (Age 17) flew into Phuket from London a couple of days ago, he left London on his British Passport, got to Phuket showed his Thai passport which had just expired.

Immigration allowed him in on his Thai passport and made a note in it ...

We are in the process of getting a new Thai passport but there's been a couple of complication (Thai Id, Parental Control etc)

He flies back out to England in one week, which means his EMS posted passport might not get to him in time.

Will he be allowed to leave on his British passport? I would imagine YES but just wondered if any one has experiences of this...

Many thanks in advance to all helpful comments !

Cheers BBJohnny

My wife received her renewed Thai passport in 3 days via RT post. This was from Khon Kaen

It should be ok to enter on Thai passport and leave on same passport, they will give you the old one back. book your flight on UK passport. If Thai IMM asks for a visa to the UK during exit, he can show the UK PP. They have seen this several times.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

he has to leave on same passport, as he has no entry stamp in Uk passport, should have entered on UK passport

replacement passports are issued and sent quickly

Yeh agreed but he's 17 and has flown much solo !

Passports get delivered 3-5 Business days according to the Thai form which is cutting it fine!

Do you know for a fact 100% he has to leave on the same (ie Thai) passport...?

(Or actually the new replacement one)

2 hours ago, Khyron said:

My wife received her renewed Thai passport in 3 days via RT post. This was from Khon Kaen

It should be ok to enter on Thai passport and leave on same passport, they will give you the old one back. book your flight on UK passport. If Thai IMM asks for a visa to the UK during exit, he can show the UK PP. They have seen this several times.

Noted Thanks....

there are expedited same-day pickup option from Cheang Wattana, you can go and have your photo taken and submitted at any passport office before 11, but they're all sent by EMS from Chaeng Wattana, for same day pickup you just have to go pick up from Chaeng Wattana in the afternoon, the fees are 3000 baht, instead of the usual 1000

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Passports get delivered 3-5 Business days according to the Thai form which is cutting it fine!

Thai citizen can't leave Thailand on an expired passport, he'll have to get the new one

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He must exit on his Thai passport as he entered on it. Last year my daughter 25 came in an expired Thai passport, while holding a valid US one. The IO advised her to enter on the US passport as she would have a valid passport to leave on. She knew we were taking her from the airport to the passport place on  CW which we did that day. 4 days later a new Thai passport was delivered and she left on that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

there are expedited same-day pickup option from Cheang Wattana, you can go and have your photo taken and submitted at any passport office before 11, but they're all sent by EMS from Chaeng Wattana, for same day pickup you just have to go pick up from Chaeng Wattana in the afternoon, the fees are 3000 baht, instead of the usual 1000

Noted Thanks ....(but we're in Phuket currently)

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

Thai citizen can't leave Thailand on an expired passport, he'll have to get the new one

Yes we are getting a new one... the question was can he leave on his British Passport IF the new Thai passport doesn't arrive in time...

(London Flights and Hotels already booked)

2 hours ago, marin said:

He must exit on his Thai passport as he entered on it. Last year my daughter 25 came in an expired Thai passport, while holding a valid US one. The IO advised her to enter on the US passport as she would have a valid passport to leave on. She knew we were taking her from the airport to the passport place on  CW which we did that day. 4 days later a new Thai passport was delivered and she left on that. 

Yeh they never asked if he had a 2nd passport and he was on his 3rd flight over 24 hours so a bit jaded ...

8 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Yes we are getting a new one... the question was can he leave on his British Passport IF the new Thai passport doesn't arrive in time...

(London Flights and Hotels already booked)

No he can't.

2 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Noted Thanks ....(but we're in Phuket currently)

Not sure how they're organized at Phuket, but in Bangkok Passport offices, after you're done with submissions and photo taken and after you've paid for the passport, you have to go to the Thai Post counter to pay for the postage, presumably they make the envelope/label with your details on, put it together with your application, and at the end of the day and send to Chaeng Wattana to meet your freshly printed passport after which they're sent out, 2-3 days at most,

but if they have to send the mailing label/envelope from Phuket to Bangkok and to back, 5-7 days is quite likely 

• Like 1

He needs to live in the same passport he came with.!! otherwise according to his Thai passport he never left. 

My wife leaves the US, on her US passport, enter Thailand on her Thai, leaves Thailand with her Thai and then again enters the UD with her US passport.

Your sons problem s essialy solved. All he need to do is get an Emergency travel document.

That's what my wife did when her Thai passport was expired but needed to travel. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Not sure how they're organized at Phuket, but in Bangkok Passport offices, after you're done with submissions and photo taken and after you've paid for the passport, you have to go to the Thai Post counter to pay for the postage, presumably they make the envelope/label with your details on, put it together with your application, and at the end of the day and send to Chaeng Wattana to meet your freshly printed passport after which they're sent out, 2-3 days at most,

but if they have to send the mailing label/envelope from Phuket to Bangkok and to back, 5-7 days is quite likely 

GULP Thanks !

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

He needs to live in the same passport he came with.!! otherwise according to his Thai passport he never left. 

My wife leaves the US, on her US passport, enter Thailand on her Thai, leaves Thailand with her Thai and then again enters the UD with her US passport.

Your sons problem s essialy solved. All he need to do is get an Emergency travel document.

That's what my wife did when her Thai passport was expired but needed to travel. 

Yeh thats a great idea, never though of that, we'll process the Thai passport tomorrow and also check about if/where we can get his Emergency Travel doc. Many thanks...

Actually I'm sort of answering my own Question here BUT ....

10 years ago My Ex decided to keep my son's Thai passport and not renew my daughters Thai Passport.

The kids were living with me so I though I'd test the waters and flew with my son to KL and back the next day on his British Passport, Phuket Airport Immigration weren't happy but allowed it. I did the same the next month with my daughter. So after that they were technically here on British Passports and I got them one year Ed Visas.

(When I got Sole Parental Control a few months later I then renewed their Thai passports and they've used them to enter/leave Thailand ever since).

Hence I think I'll push/pay for fast EMS post back with the passport from Phuket.

Plan B Emergency travel doc but not sure if one can get in Phuket,

Plan C head to Phuket Airport and ask Immigration if my son can leave on his British passport....! 

Plan D delay UK flights...

And put a reminder for 5 year time for new Thai passport for son !

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Where did your wife get her Emergency Travel Doc ? Was it locally or Bangkok ? Many thanks...

45 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

10 years ago My Ex decided to keep my son's Thai passport and not renew my daughters Thai Passport.

The kids were living with me so I though I'd test the waters and flew with my son to KL and back the next day on his British Passport, Phuket Airport Immigration weren't happy but allowed it. I did the same the next month with my daughter. So after that they were technically here on British Passports and I got them one year Ed Visas.

(When I got Sole Parental Control a few months later I then renewed their Thai passports and they've used them to enter/leave Thailand ever since).

Hence I think I'll push/pay for fast EMS post back with the passport from Phuket.

Plan C head to Phuket Airport and ask Immigration if my son can leave on his British passport....! 

For 30+ years my wife had been getting 5 year passports, but the last time, my BIL went with her and asked the clerk if a 10 year was available. 3 days later a 10 year PP was in the mailbox. May want to ask for one if they offer it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Where did your wife get her Emergency Travel Doc ? Was it locally or Bangkok ? Many thanks...

We เot it while outside Thailand online from the Thai consulate,but I am sure you can get it at your local Thai passport renewal office. 

This is the one where we live in Khon Kaen, form your name I assume you are in Bangkok 

If you can't find  yours, give this one a call and i am sure they will give you a number to call for your area , Have a thai speaking person call if you have one, they tend to be more helpful .

02-572-8442 Call Center 24 ชั่วโมง

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/3-4-67-19?cate=5ddbe42115e39c4768007e1d

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Khyron said:

For 30+ years my wife had been getting 5 year passports, but the last time, my BIL went with her and asked the clerk if a 10 year was available. 3 days later a 10 year PP was in the mailbox. May want to ask for one if they offer it.

Noted Thanks...

16 minutes ago, Khyron said:

Thai passports are automatically 10 years now.. (but still only 5 years if renewing under 20 years old).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

We เot it while outside Thailand online from the Thai consulate,but I am sure you can get it at your local Thai passport renewal office. 

This is the one where we live in Khon Kaen, form your name I assume you are in Bangkok 

If you can't find  yours, give this one a call and i am sure they will give you a number to call for your area , Have a thai speaking person call if you have one, they tend to be more helpful .

02-572-8442 Call Center 24 ชั่วโมง

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/3-4-67-19?cate=5ddbe42115e39c4768007e1d

Great thanks, yeh I'll ask tomorrow when applying for the Passport, Ps We're in Phuket...

1 minute ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Great thanks, yeh I'll ask tomorrow when applying for the Passport, Ps We're in Phuket...

Make sure you have , the flight ticket showing the departure date and if they cant renew the passport by that day to issue you the emergency travel document because  XYZ reason , (got get back to school, emergency at work, illness in the family etc, )  Best option is to have the passport renewed of course , ask that when the new passport is ready if someone else can pick it up for your son and ship it to him or bring it to him at a later time. 

• Like 1

I have two passports. Arriving in a country on one passport and leaving on the other passport is not usually a problem, I have done it many times to avoid long immigration queues. Eg. arriving in the UK where there are mobs of people in the slow moving foreign line, and usually many people of colour who seem to get closer inspections, I usually go in on a my second passport. I don't think it is illegal.

I haven't done it in Thailand. Here, they mark your incoming passport with a date mark that indicates your max possible length of stay. If you try to go out on a different passport you will not have this date mark that verifies that you have not overstayed. I think in Thailand if you use this strategy, your son will have to explain the situation to the I/O. My experience of the officers is that they will not be too understanding but presumably your son can speak Thai. The other thing that occurs to me, is that someone once told me that children over a certain age (16 I was told) are not allowed dual nationality and must pick one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, retarius said:

The other thing that occurs to me, is that someone once told me that children over a certain age (16 I was told) are not allowed dual nationality and must pick one. 

Dont add that one for Thailand as its not true. But for example in Japan you may not, you must choose one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

googled it and it said if he tried to leave on a different passport than that which he entered, he could be fined!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

You can now get a ten year passport, a little extra charge,wife did it last year can't remember the cost, I don't think it was more than 1000 baht more, possibly less

• Like 1