Cambodia visa extension Question

I plan to spend 45 days in Cambodia later this year to fulfill the requirement of spending fewer than 180 days in Thailand in order to avoid being a tax resident ihere for this year, as I brought in a fairly large amount of money this year that I don't want to pay taxes on. I understand that I can get a 30-day visa on arrival in Cambodia. I also understand that this visa can be extended for another 30 days inside of Cambodia. Can anyone (who has done this) confirm that this is possible? And if it is possible, how and where can I do it? And is there anything that I need to be aware of in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Yes a one time 30 day extension of tourist visa  is  possible and almost any travel agent can do it for you. 

If you are going to get a tourist visa can get it  online.  Costs about $5-6 dollars more but saves a whole page in your passport and time on entty.

You can also get ordinary (non-tourist) visa on arrival and then get longer (up to 1 year) extension for retirement if aged over 55y. This allows mutiple entries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Great Sheryl. Thanks so much.

I will just need to extend my original visa for 30 days (to make it from mid-November until the end of the year). So I think I will just go for the tourist visa on arrival (as I still have a lot of empty pages in my passport).

Will I need to show a return ticket when I arrive there - or to board my flight to go there? I plan to arrive in Phnom Penh, but I don't know where I will fly back to Bangkok from - either Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. So I would rather not book my return ticket before I go there, if possible.

Speaking of which, can you say anything about how to divide my six weeks in Cambodia between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap? What are the pros and cons of each place, mostly regarding food and accommodation? Does one of the places have notably better restaurant options than the other? And/or better/cheaper accommodation options?

Thanks again very much Sheryl.

I have not heard of people being asked to show return ticket if traveling from Thailand but technically IATA database says you need it if you don't already have a visa. If you want to be completely surdle of no hassle get an e-visa. Extremely easy to do. 

Siem Reap these days has more range in restaurants and accommodation.

If you will be there after the end of the rainy season a visit to one of the islands is worthwhile. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have not heard of people being asked to show return ticket if traveling from Thailand but technically IATA database says you need it if you don't already have a visa. If you want to be completely surdle of no hassle get an e-visa. Extremely easy to do. 

Siem Reap these days has more range in restaurants and accommodation.

If you will be there after the end of the rainy season a visit to one of the islands is worthwhile. 

Thanks again very much, Sheryl. I will heed your advice and apply for the e-visa. And if that somehow fails (which I don't expect), then I will go for the visa on arrival as a back-up. Then after a month in the country, I will renew the visa for a further 30 days. I am already looking forward to the trip. Thanks for making it easier.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 5:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Good info, thank you!

On application they have lines for airline / bus ticket and hotel info but looks like they are not mandatory for e-visa.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/application