How reliable are public transportation options compared to owning a car in Thailand?

On 8/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, Conan The Barbarian said:

I'm planning to buy a car in Thailand but I'm wondering if it's worth it. How is the maintenance and traffic? If anyone owns a vehicle here, please share your experiences and advice.

When it's pissing down with rain or the air is full of smog, I wouldn't want to be waiting at bus stops , plus I trust my driving a lot more than any Thai, especially if I had kids.

• Agree 2

On 8/6/2024 at 3:54 PM, josephbloggs said:

As a single guy in central Bangkok I probably wouldn't bother

As a single guy in central Bangkok and here for the beautiful girls (with respectful jobs) and travelling, I would be devastated without my car. Having one enables me to visit existing and potentially new girlfriends whenever I want, wherever in Thailand they live. Also gives me the freedom and convenience to visit the many different, amazing locations around the country. Also handy to throw the bicycle in the back when exploring the islands. 

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

A friend visited golf courses all over the place and he bought a car to conveniently get there and back. That sounded reasonable.

Think of what he'd save by stopping trying to knock a ball into a hole with a stick.   5555

On 8/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, Conan The Barbarian said:

I'm planning to buy a car in Thailand but I'm wondering if it's worth it. How is the maintenance and traffic? If anyone owns a vehicle here, please share your experiences and advice.

I could not survive in Thailand without my own vehicle 

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

As a single guy in central Bangkok and here for the beautiful girls (with respectful jobs) and travelling, I would be devastated without my car. Having one enables me to visit existing and potentially new girlfriends whenever I want, wherever in Thailand they live. Also gives me the freedom and convenience to visit the many different, amazing locations around the country. Also handy to throw the bicycle in the back when exploring the islands. 

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

That is a truck not a car -555

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Think of what he'd save by stopping trying to knock a ball into a hole with a stick.   5555

Think what he would save it if kept his stick out of the hole 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, flexomike said:

Think what he would save it if kept his stick out of the hole 

Agree , he is leaving more than a footprint driving around polluting the enviroment in his desires for friendship.

13 hours ago, flexomike said:

That is a truck not a car -555

Wrong!!!

Here's official proof that in ASEAN (and of course everywhere else) pick-ups are categorised as a car -  definitely not as a truck - 555

"With regard to the regional best-selling cars ranking and cumulative sales up to May 2024, the leadership is still in the hands of the Toyota Hilux, produced in Thailand, ahead of its competitors with 74,691 units sold (-18.1%), followed closely by the Isuzu D-Max with 53,752 cumulative sales (-30.6%).

'

https://www.focus2move.com/asean-best-selling-cars/#:~:text=With regard to the regional,cumulative sales (-30.6%).

22 hours ago, Nemises said:

As a single guy in central Bangkok and here for the beautiful girls (with respectful jobs) and travelling, I would be devastated without my car.

You are doing it wrong.

I was a single guy without a job and found a woman with a car.

Now we live 5 seconds from a BTS station, yet due to spoils of she chauffeuring me around I can't even imagine mingling with smelly loso Farang inside BTS. It just brings the bad memories of what kind of life I lived before.

A pickup truck?

ugh

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I always had a car back home. And I never had a car in Thailand. I don't need one and IMHO it is more headache then useful - at least for me.

I live in the middle of Bangkok. Mostly I use my own motorcycle. Sometimes I use motorcycle taxis and seldom I use taxi cars.

If I have to transport anything I prefer taxis. Just pick one and go. And at the destination go out, done. No parking problems, ever.

And it is easy to take a motorcycle one way and a taxi, with something to transport, the other way.

A friend visited golf courses all over the place and he bought a car to conveniently get there and back. That sounded reasonable.

Lived in Samut Prakon for a year   all the MC/taxi you wanted plenty of busses and the BTS was a 3 min walk ,,