Health Advisory: Thai Milk Tea May Lead to Kidney Stones

7474187246_b58fa5eb14_b.jpg

The Thai Department of Health has issued a health advisory to fans of Thai milk tea, warning them about the risk of kidney stone development due to high quantities of sugar, calcium, and compounds in tea leaves.

In a Facebook post, the Health Department cautioned daily consumers of milk tea about potential health hazards linked to their preferred drink. It mentioned that consistent intake of Thai milk tea may result in kidney stone formation.

When urine minerals crystallize, they form kidney stones. These can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a ping-pong ball. These stones can block the urinary tract and can cause severe pain and potentially even lead to kidney failure, said a Health Department representative.

Thai milk tea, often linked to weight gain, also carries a hidden risk - kidney stones. The goal of the message was to raise awareness about how the well-liked cold milk tea could trigger serious health complications.

Several components in Thai milk tea can fast-track the development of kidney stones. For example, fructose, a type of sugar present in milk tea, is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, burdening the kidneys and increasing the risk of stone formation. Moreover, some milk teas contain high calcium levels due to their milk content. The kidneys excrete excess calcium, which can solidify, creating stones.

Tea leaves also contain oxalate, another contributing component for stone formation. Oxalate can combine with calcium to form calcium oxalate stones, a common type of kidney stone.

To lower the risk, the Department of Health suggests multiple measures for milk tea enthusiasts. They recommend decreasing sugar intake by choosing less sweet or sugar-free alternatives and drinking plenty of water can dilute urine and diminish mineral crystallization.

Switching to low-fat milk, skimmed milk, or soy milk can also reduce calcium intake. Consuming potassium-rich fruits and vegetables, like bananas and tomatoes, can further lower the probability of stone formation.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-06

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Department of Health has issued a health advisory to fans of Thai milk tea, warning them about the risk of kidney stone development due to high quantities of sugar, calcium, and compounds in tea leaves.

M missus will be devastated... her daily fix could be bad for her.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, john donson said:

just oxalates... in tea, spinach...

if you have it with REAL milk, it can bind and you poop it out

but here they use fake palm concentrate crap 

Oxalates can cause kidney stones.  Now look at a food list that contain oxalates. 
OMG!  And people start freaking out. 
However those foods, including teas, which contain oxalates also contain other substances like essential vitamins and minerals, and other chemicals which help the body to fight disease.  The key to this isn't avoidance, it's moderation.  And I agree with john donson - that fake palm concentrate that is passed off as evaporated milk is utter crap.  I tend to avoid "milk tea" because it doesn't have any real milk in it.  If you want real milk tea try an Indian restaurant.  I like mine hot.

07a3057ccac14a5331ebf8f2efe3c5ed-3447096360.thumb.jpg.f37095971d933e94c68652e037b58138.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I'll be alright then, IMO one of, if not the worse, tasting drink in Thailand Yuk.

You'll get no arguments from me on that.  Agreed - nasty stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Watching Thai peoples craze to drink all these super unhealthy drinks makes me wonder if any of them have any idea of what they are doing to their health!! Seems like the government gives a damn about educating the people about the danger of sugars and trans fats! I guess it is the food industry paying the politicians to "look the other way" while they are killing the population!!! 

Somewhat off topic ...

I read once about a woman that had both given birth and passed a kidney stone. 

She said the passing the kidney stone was much more painful than giving birth to her baby. 

I have never given birth (even though I am a man) to a baby, I can attest that passing kidney stones are painful.   And such tiny things they were, barely visible!

6 hours ago, harryviking said:

Watching Thai peoples craze to drink all these super unhealthy drinks makes me wonder if any of them have any idea of what they are doing to their health!! Seems like the government gives a damn about educating the people about the danger of sugars and trans fats! I guess it is the food industry paying the politicians to "look the other way" while they are killing the population!!! 

The "food" industry poisoning the people for profit is not a phenomenon unique to Thailand. 

McDonald, Nestlé, Mars, Pepsico ... where exactly are these from?

15 hours ago, harryviking said:

, the Department of Health suggests multiple measures for milk tea enthusiasts. They recommend decreasing sugar intake by choosing less sweet or sugar-free alternatives

Switching to low-fat milk, skimmed milk, or soy milk     Typical Government spew....  

Low fat and skim milk is loaded with sugar   ..  soy is GMO poison  and especially bad for men