Pegboard suggestion

recom273

I was looking to put up a pegboard in my workshop - back in the UK they would be sheets of mdf with holes drilled in them. 

I have been looking around and on Lazada, the choice is a bit slim. I bought one tile to test out, it turned out to be a copy of ikea skadis, but the dimensions were a little out, meaning I would have to design and 3D print my own bins and hooks. 

Just wondering if anyone else uses pegboard and found an economical solution? 

Have you tried image search in of the shopping apps?

You can search, i.e. with the Lazada app, but pointing your camera on a picture with what you want.

Sometimes that works well.

Because I would not be surprised if there are many different names for the thing you are looking for.

2 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I searched for this years ago at all the furniture supply shops around Chiang Mai (specialty plywoods, MDF, Formica, etc). Never found it.

I have seen it in CM.  I'm not sure where but most likely was one of these: homepro or index living mall.  

@wimpy

I dont know why I didn’t think of this before ..

Make my own, draw up a grid, there is an American standard for the spacing, there are even downloadable jigs for the holes. A nice piece of mdf can be found and I’m away. 

13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

@wimpy

I dont know why I didn’t think of this before ..

Make my own, draw up a grid, there is an American standard for the spacing, there are even downloadable jigs for the holes. A nice piece of mdf can be found and I’m away. 

Are the hooks available here? I believe pegboard is usually made from Masonite, which is quite a bit harder than MDF.

Edited by wimpy

3 hours ago, wimpy said:

Are the hooks available here? I believe pegboard is usually made from Masonite, which is quite a bit harder than MDF.

Plenty of designs if you have a 3D printer.

Yes, you are probably correct, I have been researching and some DIY ones are 5mm mdf, some plywood. 

I dont think I would hang my whole workshop on one, just light stuff - the alternative tile system I picked up was plastic, held to the wall with 4 screws. I could see it bowing out under pressure. There is a metal tile but had square holes and if I was to cover 3m it would be costly.

https://www.printables.com/model/676187-plywood-pegboard

Here is a home made one, with his collection of peg designs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

Plenty of designs if you have a 3D printer.

Yes, you are probably correct, I have been researching and some DIY ones are 5mm mdf, some plywood. 

I dont think I would hang my whole workshop on one, just light stuff - the alternative tile system I picked up was plastic, held to the wall with 4 screws. I could see it bowing out under pressure. There is a metal tile but had square holes and if I was to cover 3m it would be costly.

https://www.printables.com/model/676187-plywood-pegboard

Here is a home made one, with his collection of peg designs. 

Pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...