Non-Immigrant Visa(O-A) Renewal

Hi,

i have a Non-Immigrant Visa O-A 50+ for one year valid from November -23. 

I stayed 5 months and now im looking to do same thing this coming autumn/winter. 

I know, or i think,  it is possible to renew this visa if in Thailand. Do anyone know if i can renew it from Europe? I had a look at the Thailand Online Visa-site but i could not find anything. 

Is it possible to use a Visa Agent to do it for a small charge? Or do i still need to be in Thailand to do that? 

Or is it easier just to go though with a new VISA (still some work with doctors certificate and so on)

Or now, with 60 days - is there any problems with doing two shorter (1-2 days) visa runs if im planing for 5 months? That way i would not have to do the 90days check-in i guess?

Grateful for all input

Assuming it is valid till Nov 24 you can re enter Thailand before it expires and get up to another 12 months entry  as long as you have an approved health insurance plan that covers your stay. If you only have 6 months health insurance coverage you will only get 6 months permission of stay. You cannot extend from abroad and once expired it is dead. If expired by the time you are travelling you should be fine doing 2 visa exemptions (+extensions if you want and also assuming your country qualifies for visa exemptions - most/all European countries do) with short cross border trips. Alternatively 1 tourist visa and 1 visa exempt with an extension gives 5 months.

Edited by oliverphoenix2
clarity!
  • Thumbs Up 2

How about you LOOK on the eVisa PDF they sent you when you got the visa issued and read the valid until or must enter before date?

That visa is good for unlimited entries for the validity (a year from the date of issue) and each entry gets you stamped in for a whole new year (or as long as your mandatory insurance is valid for up to a year) 

If it was valid FROM Nov 2023, you have until Nov 2024 to enter the country and get a NEW year entry stamp.

You will need to carry a new year of the mandatory 100K USD health insurance to get another year entry stamp but shouldn't have any issue showing up before the VISA itself expires and getting stamped in

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Tod and Oliver,

thanks for your reply. 

This is good news, thanks. 

Can i ask about the health insurance;

Will i need to show proof of this when passing immigration at the airport and it will be done at once, the new one year stamp (if so - is it just to go trough normal immigration or do i need to sort this out in some other way at the airport).

Or do i enter Thailand on normal 60day visa and then i need to sort it out with immigration in, for exemple, Bangkok? 

Grateful for your time and help

Your OA visa expiry is Nov. 2024 I assume. If you exit and re-enter Thailand before visa expiry Nov. 24 you will get another 12 months entry providing your current health insurance  is valid for 12 months at the time you re-enter Thailand otherwise you will be stamped in to the expiry of your health insurance. Yes on arrival with an OA they will ask to see your health insurance. 

To kill off the OA leave prior Nov. 24 and return AFTER the OA visa expiry date with a tourist visa or exempt and the extensions you can get from them, or return with a 90 day Non O e-visa from home country and continue 1 year extensions on the Non O, no health insurance required, will need a Thai bank account.   You may need health insurance to apply for the Non O e-visa in home country not sure now what they are doing with that, I used my existing valid insurance from my killed off OA and got the Non O for my return a couple years ago. 

Edited by CANSIAM

Greetings

Have a similar situation and hoping for some insight.

Currently out of the country and returning 1st of October.

Am on a OA visa with expire date March 5 2025. My current health insurance has an automatic renewal of 12-31-2024 (have had the policy for 4 years always renews last day of the year) 

Question: When I re-enter in October is my allowed to stay going to be limited to 12-31-2024?

If this is the case do I then return to immigration with my new policy and have my stay extended?

Thanks for any assistance.

22 hours ago, dinger said:

When I re-enter in October is my allowed to stay going to be limited to 12-31-2024?

yep, you should get stamped in until the current insurance you have expires (just like it says on your PDF eVisa) 
and
when you get the new policy you EXIT/RE-ENTER the country to get a new year entry stamp (or as long as your new insurance is valid for up to a year)

• Agree 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:05 PM, CANSIAM said:

Your OA visa expiry is Nov. 2024 I assume. If you exit and re-enter Thailand before visa expiry Nov. 24 you will get another 12 months entry providing your current health insurance  is valid for 12 months at the time you re-enter Thailand otherwise you will be stamped in to the expiry of your health insurance. Yes on arrival with an OA they will ask to see your health insurance. 

To kill off the OA leave prior Nov. 24 and return AFTER the OA visa expiry date with a tourist visa or exempt and the extensions you can get from them, or return with a 90 day Non O e-visa from home country and continue 1 year extensions on the Non O, no health insurance required, will need a Thai bank account.   You may need health insurance to apply for the Non O e-visa in home country not sure now what they are doing with that, I used my existing valid insurance from my killed off OA and got the Non O for my return a couple years ago. 

It would appear that the OP is currently not in Thailand:

On 8/8/2024 at 12:31 AM, Koala123 said:

I stayed 5 months and now im looking to do same thing this coming autumn/winter. 

Provided that his home country's (European?) embassy in Bangkok is one of those which still issues income confirmation letters/affidavits for IMM purposes, the easiest course of action open to him IMHO would be to return to Thailand AFTER his current non-OA visa has expired in November or whenever, whereupon he would be able to enter the country on the basis of a 60-day visa exemption which he could then convert to a 90-day non-O visa for retirement at his local immigration office in accordance with the following link:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

In this way he would then be able to avoid the need to faff around with mandatory health insurance requirements!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

It would appear that the OP is currently not in Thailand:

Provided that his home country's (European?) embassy in Bangkok is one of those which still issues income confirmation letters/affidavits for IMM purposes, the easiest course of action open to him IMHO would be to return to Thailand AFTER his current non-OA visa has expired in November or whenever, whereupon he would be able to enter the country on the basis of a 60-day visa exemption which he could then convert to a 90-day non-O visa for retirement at his local immigration office in accordance with the following link:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

In this way he would then be able to avoid the need to faff around with mandatory health insurance requirements!

Yes correct he's currently in home country with a valid OA. As you said return after OA expiry date to kill it, arrive on exemption and convert...   

Edited by CANSIAM

On 8/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, dinger said:

Greetings

Am on a OA visa with expire date March 5 2025. My current health insurance has an automatic renewal of 12-31-2024 (have had the policy for 4 years always renews last day of the year) 

Question: When I re-enter in October is my allowed to stay going to be limited to 12-31-2024?

If this is the case do I then return to immigration with my new policy and have my stay extended?

Yes if you arrive October 1, 2024 you will be stamped in to your health insurance expiry date 12-31-2024 not March 5, 2025. I'm not sure on the 2nd question, you may have to start a new extension on your OA a month or so before 12-31-2024 with your new auto renewal insurance and get the full year or very close to a full year. 

On 8/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, dinger said:

Greetings

Re-entering Oct 1st 2024, you will only be stamped in until the expiry date of your Insurance, 31st December 2024.

Just prior to 31st Dec, you will have to exit the Country and re-enter with your new Insurance policy and will be stamped in for 1 year until 31st Dec 2025.

Note after 5th March 2025 your O-A visa will expire and if you intend to leave and re-enter the Country again between 5/3/25 and 31/12/25 you will require a re-entry permit.

Usually, any Insurance would be synced to the first entry date of a valid O-A visa.

Edited by Liquorice
Typo

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

OP, read this guy's post carefully.

It's good advice 

All depends on how long you plan to live ongoing in Thailand.

If indeed extensions based on retirement ongoing then killing off the non O-A is good idea

On 8/9/2024 at 5:39 AM, dinger said:

Greetings

Sorry for not completely understanding, let me re ask my questions.

Previously I was on a Non -O ( marriage) visa

Earlier this year I converted to Non-OA (retired) still valid until March. When I changed visas never I was never asked about insurance. I happen to have health insurance (foreign company) completely unrelated to any visas, just something I carry.

I am currently out of the country and returning in October what will I be required to provide to immigration to enter on my current visa.

Thanks for the help

23 minutes ago, dinger said:

Sorry for not completely understanding, let me re ask my questions.

Earlier this year I converted to Non-OA (retired) still valid until March. When I changed visas never I was never asked about insurance. I happen to have health insurance (foreign company) completely unrelated to any visas, just something I carry.

I am currently out of the country and returning in October what will I be required to provide to immigration to enter on my current visa.

Thanks for the help

I think you are not on a OA visa but a yearly extension for being retired. and your last visa was a non immigrant 'O' visa, which has long expired, if that is the case you do not need insurance,

as you are out of Thailand you should have a re-entry permit issued by immigration, if so you should be stamped in until March, if you do not have a re-entry permit, then you will have to start the process over again. and entry on a visa exempt entry which at the moment is a 60 days permission to stay stamp.

Edited by steve187
make text clearer

1 hour ago, dinger said:

I don't know if you will be asked to show Health Insurance upon entry, but i would think not. I believe typically for a Type-OA visa, the check to prove one has Health Insurance is done when one applies for the Visa.  I am VERY surprised you obtained a Type-OA and was not asked to show your foreign health Insurance.  IMHO that was a major omission not to check, by the Embassy office where you applied (I am assuming the reason for the visa is for "retirement' and not for 'marriage to a Thai' ).

Note thou, my experience is that while foreign health insurance may be accepted by Thai embassies around the world in getting a Type-OA visa, ... once one is in Thailand, and one is trying to obtain a one-year extension (on permission to stay in Thailand on the Type-OA visa) it is a TOTALLY different story, and typically foreign health insurance is NOT accepted. Instead one has to obtain health insurance from the Thailand branch of a health insurance company to obtain an extension on a Type-OA visa.

It was that (being forced to go for health insurance from the Thailand branch of a Health Insurance company (and not able to use our superior and in some cases (such as mine) subsidized foreign Health Insurance)) resulted in many of us (foreigners) deliberately leaving Thailand in a way to invalidate our Type-OA visas, and re-entering Visa exempt, and applying then for a Type-O Visa.

From my perspective, the main advantages of a Type-OA visa is to get it once (which if managed carefully can give up to almost 2 years), but never extend it. Rather get the Type-OA visa from outside of Thailand (using one's foreign Health Insurance) and then if one plans to stay in Thailand permanently,  once in Thailand obtain a Thai bank account (obviously not applicable to OP as the OP likely already has a Thai bank account).  That way one can later easily apply for a Type-O visa and have a bank account.

Currently, those entering Thailand visa exempt, who don't have Thai bank accounts, find it very difficult to open a Thai bank account (an agent is almost essential now to open a bank account for those who are in Thailand visa exempt).  Without a Thai bank account one can not obtain a Type-O visa while in Thailand.  But if one has a long stay visa (such a Type-OA), it is much easier to open a Thai bank account.

EDIT: Note the above assumes the visa's are being obtained for reason of "retirement".  If one has a Thai spouse (and the visa justification is for reason of 'marriage to a Thai'), then there is no Health Insurance requirement for a Type-OA visa, and that could explain why you were not asked for such. Do you have a Thai spouse?

Edited by oldcpu

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

I think you are not on a OA visa but a yearly extension for being retired. and your last visa was a non immigrant 'O' visa, which has long expired, if that is the case you do not need insurance,

as you are out of Thailand you should have a re-entry permit issued by immigration, if so you should be stamped in until March, if you do not have a re-entry permit, then you will have to start the process over again. and entry on a visa exempt entry which at the moment is a 60 days permission to stay stamp.

You are correct. I have a reentry stamp that is good until March. I will be reentering the country in October. So just trying to figure out if I need to purchase a Thai based insurance to reenter.

Thanks for all the help.

22 minutes ago, dinger said:

You are correct. I have a reentry stamp that is good until March. I will be reentering the country in October. So just trying to figure out if I need to purchase a Thai based insurance to reenter.

Thanks for all the help.

no compulsory insurance is required

7 hours ago, dinger said:

You cannot convert to a Non O-A visa, only apply for a new one at a Thai Embassy/Consulate, not Immigration.

I suspect you were previously on an extension based on marriage and simply changed the 'reason' for the current extension to retirement.

You have a re-entry permit, no compulsory Health Insurance required.