Arrived in Thailand w/ 90 day non O visa

My original plan was to convert to a marriage visa after arrival. My wife and I just sold our house in the U.S. We have maintained our house in Rayong during our ten year absence. My Bangkok bank account is a non issue because I have maintained it for more than 15 years. ALso there are more than adequate funds for a retirement or marriage type visa.

I origninally considered a marrige visa because there is no retirement for health insurance. However, I now understand that since I will be converting my non-O in Thailand,

Medical insurance is not an issue. Also the hoops one has to jump through to obtain a marrige seem considerably more with pictures, home visits ETC. In the past I always held a retirement type visa. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, rucus7 said:

ALso there are more than adequate funds for a retirement or marriage type visa.

Your thread title indicates that you entered Thailand with a non O.

Based on what.... marriage or retirement? 

You need to have 800k in the bank account for 2 months prior to application of extension for retirement and 400k in bank for 2 months for extension based on marriage. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, rucus7 said:

Based on visiting Thai family. The funds required are a non issue.

Then extend for retirement. As long as you have no problem keeping 800/400/800k in the bank at all times it's the easy solution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, rucus7 said:

Based on visiting Thai family. The funds required are a non issue.

It's not only about funds.

Think you will find that you entered with visa based marriage you cannot obtain first extension of permission of stay based on retirement.

Immigration may allow it as less work for them.

Best advice is to apply for non O for reason same as extension.

In subsequent years change based on is not an issue. 

• Like 1

Not sure which Immigration office you will be using but I would advise that the Jomtien office responsible for change of Visa types was not the most friendly.  Very aggressive and rude to my wife and really pushed me to use a 'fast track' service to get the Retirement extension instead of marriage; being stubborn I refused but should have things sorted very soon.  As advised by another poster it is better to stick with the Extension for Marriage if that is what the original Non-O was issued for.

The extra paperwork is not difficult as you need to visit your local Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 stating you are still married and it shouldn't be issued more than 3 months ago.  Pictures of you and your wife in various locations of the house is simple, as is the hand drawn map to your house.

The major issue to consider that the bank account used to support the application must be in your name only.  This causes problems should you pass away without a watertight will and even then your wife may have problems accessing the money quickly.  

Happy to explain more of my experience with the process, just send me a private message.

On 8/16/2024 at 2:23 PM, rucus7 said:

My original plan was to convert to a marriage visa after arrival. My wife and I just sold our house in the U.S. We have maintained our house in Rayong during our ten year absence. My Bangkok bank account is a non issue because I have maintained it for more than 15 years. ALso there are more than adequate funds for a retirement or marriage type visa.

I origninally considered a marrige visa because there is no retirement for health insurance. However, I now understand that since I will be converting my non-O in Thailand,

Medical insurance is not an issue. Also the hoops one has to jump through to obtain a marrige seem considerably more with pictures, home visits ETC. In the past I always held a retirement type visa. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Retirement non O is the way to go