What Thai dishes are the lowest calories?

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you can find a complex carbohydrate which is better than bamboo, I will eat it. Almost zero carb content. Very high fiber content. I am reasonably sure Thais eat it to offset the constipating effects of rice.

Here's what bamboo has:

• Vitamins B6, E and K
  • Potassium, copper, manganese and zinc
  • Fiber, protein, low calorie, polyphenols ( antioxidants )

If you're at your desired weight, why worry about complex carbs now? Eating in moderation almost anything is okay. I eat oatmeal every day, and always have eaten Millet Rice, Oat Bran Flakes and a few others which aren't too high and still keep my weight down, even though I'm not working out nearly as much yet. Bamboo is low as is many salad greens. My girlfriend has constipation a lot because of the rice so I try and get her to not only drink more water but eat greens, although she's not really (yet) into foreign food.

16 hours ago, Chetzee said:

what brand yoghurt has no sugar ?struggling to find one .....

Here's an Asean link...........https://aseannow.com/topic/1052810-yogurts-sugar-free/.

43 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If you're at your desired weight, why worry about complex carbs now? Eating in moderation almost anything is okay. I eat oatmeal every day, and always have eaten Millet Rice, Oat Bran Flakes and a few others which aren't too high and still keep my weight down, even though I'm not working out nearly as much yet. Bamboo is low as is many salad greens. My girlfriend has constipation a lot because of the rice so I try and get her to not only drink more water but eat greens, although she's not really (yet) into foreign food.

Here's an Asean link...........https://aseannow.com/topic/1052810-yogurts-sugar-free/.

I am just below the desired BMI of 25. Genetically, my forebears have all been heavy-boned. No-one in my family has ever had osteoporosis. When I had a bone density scan a year ago, the technician said I was at the top end of the scale. No jokes about my skull, please.

Being a the high end of BMI, I feel I have to watch what I eat much more carefully than most. In Thailand, sugar goes into damn near everything.

Dairy Home organic yoghurt ( 450 gm tub ) is labelled no added sugar. Presumably it still contains lactose.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

My girlfriend has constipation a lot because of the rice so I try and get her to not only drink more water but eat greens, although she's not really (yet) into foreign food.

Get her onto dragon fruit very low on calories but high on helping constipation as is green papaya, as used in somtum.

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

We are talking about low calorie diets.

Carbs and calories are closely related. Each gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Carbs and calories are closely related. Each gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories.

Not exactly.

Olive oil and nuts, for example, are very calorie dense, but not carb heavy at all. Even nuts have a low glycemic index, due to being mostly fats and fiber. They aren't filling though so you end up having to eat more calories to be satisfied. 

On the other hand, potatoes and porridge oats are very carby but they rate high on the satiety index, meaning that you don't need to eat much of them to be full and stay full, in fact boiled potatoes rank #1 on the satiety vs calorie index. 

Not saying it would be healthy to live off boiled potatoes only, but you would lose a lot of weight and not feel hungry.

28 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Not exactly.

Olive oil and nuts, for example, are very calorie dense, but not carb heavy at all. Even nuts have a low glycemic index, due to being mostly fats and fiber. They aren't filling though so you end up having to eat more calories to be satisfied. 

On the other hand, potatoes and porridge oats are very carby but they rate high on the satiety index, meaning that you don't need to eat much of them to be full and stay full, in fact boiled potatoes rank #1 on the satiety vs calorie index. 

Not saying it would be healthy to live off boiled potatoes only, but you would lose a lot of weight and not feel hungry.

IIRC a British dietitian during WWII was asked to come up with a diet which would best provide the minimum requirement of 1200 calories, plus nutrients, to sustain life of the population, due to U-boat blockades.

Her recommendation was a mix of whole grain bread, potatoes and cabbage.

Given her aim was to get the best bang for the calorie buck, your satiety argument doesn't seem to have much validity.

Would that be peeled or whole boiled potatoes?  Much of the nutrients are in the skin.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Given her aim was to get the best bang for the calorie buck, your satiety argument doesn't seem to have much validity.

It's a fact. It's not my argument. It's science.

You are also missing the point: boiled potatoes fill you up longer in relation to their calorie density compared to other foods (e.g. nuts, olive oil, butter, mayo, bacon, sausage, etc. etc.)

The point isn't that potatoes are low in calories - that's not what I said - but they satisfy your hunger longer in relation to the calories they have.

Try using your brain when you read.

P.S. Then you go on to mention money vs calories in WW2, which doesn't refute what I said, in fact it supports what I said: you don't need to eat a lot of potatoes to feel full. 555+

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You are also missing the point: boiled potatoes fill you up longer in relation tot heir calories compared to other foods (e.g. nuts, olive oil, butter, mayo etc. etc.)

The point isn't that potatoes are low in calories - that's not what I said - but they satisfy your hunger longer compared with the calories they have.

I once asked a doctor the best way to lose weight.

He said get up from the table before you feel full.

When I walk past a Maccas or KFC, it seems to me the most obese people are the ones ordering fries. The largest stack.

Just now, Lacessit said:

I once asked a doctor the best way to lose weight.

He said get up from the table before you feel full.

When I walk past a Maccas or KFC, it seems to me the most obese people are the ones ordering fries. The largest stack.

1 burger and water is an ok meal. Especially if you say no sauce. Meat, salad and bread is not bad.

18 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You are also missing the point: boiled potatoes fill you up longer in relation to their calorie density compared to other foods (e.g. nuts, olive oil, butter, mayo, bacon, sausage, etc. etc.)

The point isn't that potatoes are low in calories - that's not what I said - but they satisfy your hunger longer in relation to the calories they have.

Try using your brain when you read.

P.S. Then you go on to mention money vs calories in WW2, which doesn't refute what I said, in fact it supports what I said: you don't need to eat a lot of potatoes to feel full. 555+

I ate an 600g steak. Did not fill me up. 300g steak and potatoes would be better.

23 hours ago, maesariang said:

I ate an 600g steak. Did not fill me up. 300g steak and potatoes would be better.

Exactly, the 600 gram steak is 1600 calories and didn't fill you, whereas the satiating 300 gram steak n potatoes would be around 1000 calories (if you had 2 medium sized spuds)