Is Thailand using NPT or BSP pipe thread?

ExpatOilWorker

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that the straight threads are BSP and tapered are NPT.

Both BSP and NPT are Slightly tapered, the thread angle is just 5 degrees different.

A lot of bathroom fittings come in NPT, but I think most water piping is done in BSP.

2018-03-15_14-38-11.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Both BSP and NPT are Slightly tapered, the thread angle is just 5 degrees different.

A lot of bathroom fittings come in NPT, but I think most water piping is done in BSP.

2018-03-15_14-38-11.jpg

Up to 1 inch they fit together, bigger sizes not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, degrub said:

Ask a local plumber ?

Do you have a metal thread match gauge ?

I asked the building manager and maintenance team. Their answer was that it is thread tamadar, aka normal thread 😊 😃

Nope, I don't have a thread gauge and it is also hard to measure before I cut.

Worst case, I will be out of water for a day or two.

41 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Both BSP and NPT are Slightly tapered,

No, both can be tapered or parallel, BSPT or BSPP vs NPT or NPS.

Historically I would think that Thailand would be British Standard Pipe rather than National Pipe. 

After all they are still selling imperial nuts and bolts.

Every chance that in your photo there is a mix of straight and tapered, but would think your right in it being BSP threads.

Don't think I have seen a straight pipe nipple here, but would think the sockets on the brass valve are straight.

• Agree 1

Some time ago I also wanted to know. And I looked at valves and pipes in HomePro. And I looked at information about the thread. They showed the size, like 1/2", but no information at all about the thread.

And they had different threads, I bought a couple for testing.

So, even if you know what you want, that doesn't mean you will be able to identify the parts in a shop.

TiT

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I also wanted to know. And I looked at valves and pipes in HomePro. And I looked at information about the thread. They showed the size, like 1/2", but no information at all about the thread.

And they had different threads, I bought a couple for testing.

So, even if you know what you want, that doesn't mean you will be able to identify the parts in a shop.

TiT

I use ANA ball valves from Global House and they are BSP thread. Thai pipe fits them ok so also BSP, although they just call it PT. NP thread is a different pitch so won't fit.

There is a bit of flexibility, you can put a taper male into a taper or parallel female. What is a bit of a problem is a parallel male into a taper female.

If I am buying anything unfamiliar I nip round to the pipe section and try a pipe fitting.

• Like 1