Trying to help out...

Last weekend a Thai lady (& her extended family) showed up to my pizza joint with a guy in a wheelchair. The first thing she told my wife was that she had heard about American pizza on FB and came here for some help. This is when I got into the picture.

Karl is 77 and from Maryland. He arrived in Thailand about four years ago and soon after arriving suffered a mild stroke. The wife says that he has steadily gotten worse and now she doesn’t know what to do. He can’t walk nor control any of his body functions.

He can’t really talk other than single words, but he could shake his head (yes or no) (sometimes) to my questions. I asked if he needed my help and he said yes. I then asked if I could contact the embassy for him and once again he nodded yes. I could see the pain in his eyes as he struggled with communication.

His wife said a couple years back he forgot his passwords to his email, phone and bank accounts, so she has been taking care of him. She doesn’t know much about his family if any back in the states. Karl has one main bank account here and he signed a form awhile back to withdraw money. The wife took the document to the Bangkok Bank and was told that the signatures did not match and refused to hand over any money.  

As of today, Karl is currently in the government hospital in Phitsanulok and is unable to pay for medical treatment. I contacted the US embassy and they said they would look into the matter. Any other suggestions?

karl.jpg