Free Schooling

My wifes sister have a daughter, but no money to support a higher education in Thailand. I am of course talking about thai people now, not falang....

I am asking for account this family. Do you guys know if there is any chances to go to university and by any chance get the fees for free, not have to pay them...????

If you guys know anything about this would really be great ... I am just trying to help out here...

glegolo

9 hours ago, BakedPanda said:

They finance it and the students pay back later in installments.

Thank you for your reply.. Yes I know that. in my extended family there is a daughter who do just that i.e. loan money from "Thailand/university" for the fee about 21.700 baht per semester plus also 3.000 baht for food each months. Have to pay back later at employment..

But I was wondering if there is a scheme where they can have the education for free.....

19 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

My wifes sister have a daughter, but no money to support a higher education in Thailand. I am of course talking about thai people now, not falang....

I am asking for account this family. Do you guys know if there is any chances to go to university and by any chance get the fees for free, not have to pay them...????

If you guys know anything about this would really be great ... I am just trying to help out here...

glegolo

Sorry, all I know is that my Thai Stepdaughter has entered Maejo University here in Chiang Mai and my Wife is paying the fees when they come due.

On 8/23/2024 at 1:14 PM, glegolo18 said:

I have heard that there may be scholarships available, but they can be competitive. Also, we have to use application help from https://edubirdie.com/personal-statement-writing-service this great one recommended by my friends. They help us write personal statements.

glegolo

There are scholarships for Thai students. She should apply and seek financial aid options at universities. Good luck!

Edited by Minnierogers

On 8/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, Callmeishmael said:

Her local Ratchapat University will probably be fairly inexpensive.  If they live near Bangkok, Ramkamheng University was founded as a 'peoples' university and is also pretty affordable. 

If the student is smart, it is better to go to a good university and get a student loan. It will pay itself back when they get a much better paid job after university. They have a long time to payback the debt.

As noted, some full and part scholarships are available at many universities for highly intelligent students.  Students loans are also possible.

But, apart from the university fees, there are accommodation and living costs, and many degree programmes require students to go on work placement (for which they are generally not paid)  for 3-4 terms/semesters during the degree.  Generally these placements are not close to the universities and the students have to pay all costs.

8 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

and many degree programmes require students to go on work placement (for which they are generally not paid)  for 3-4 terms/semesters during the degree.  Generally these placements are not close to the universities and the students have to pay all costs.

Would you mind telling me a university in Thailand that has its students spend 35-50% of their study time off campus working without pay. Lived and taught here at the university level for a long time and have never heard of this in any faculty at any university. A Thai BA or BS takes 8 semesters of study.

14 hours ago, marin said:

Would you mind telling me a university in Thailand that has its students spend 35-50% of their study time off campus working without pay. Lived and taught here at the university level for a long time and have never heard of this in any faculty at any university. A Thai BA or BS takes 8 semesters of study.

A large newish university in southern Thailand which is physically located about 20 kms outside the provincial capital.  The undergraduate degree programme I was referencing is in hospitality and tourism.  I stated " 3-4 terms/semesters during the degree" - with 3 terms per academic year, with 4 academic years for the degree implies, at most, 4 terms over a 12 term degree, which is 33.3%.

Although most Thai universities use semesters, some run some programmes on a term basis.  However, the graduate (Masters) courses I have taught into have been run in intensive 3-week blocks.

With respect, maybe you should check the medical programmes at all the universities you taught at; to my knowledge, and from observation, all medical students - doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. - are required to do numerous placements during the course of their studies.

Just now, JimHuaHin said:

With respect, maybe you should check the medical programmes at all the universities you taught at; to my knowledge, and from observation, all medical students - doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. - are required to do numerous placements during the course of their studies.

The university I worked at for 30 years has a medical school, none of this is done. Yes they have to intern and serve a residency but its part of any medical schools curriculum. 

I taught in the hospitality faculty and all students were required to do a 7 week internship during the summer session. You are correct that this is an unpaid position. Unless requested the students can continue to stay in university housing or at home with their parents while they do it. If requested they can be place where they want, say Phuket or Chiang Mai. There they would have to pay for their own accommodation.