Bitcoin Mining Operation Busted in Ratchaburi for Illegally Draining Community Power Supply

IMG_4782.jpeg

File picture for reference only.

Authorities have raided an illegal Bitcoin mining operation hidden in the heart of Ratchaburi City after it was discovered that the operation was siphoning electricity, causing power shortages in the local community. More than 900 Bitcoin mining machines were found on-site, though some had been removed prior to the raid.

The operation was led by Police Lieutenant Colonel Chumpol Sukphakdee of the Ratchaburi City Police, along with District Security Chief Jamnong Chanwong, District Officer Yosapon Chaibunlawat, and officials from the Provincial Electricity Authority. Acting on a warrant issued by the Ratchaburi Court, the team searched a house in Moo 6, Don Tako Subdistrict, Mueang District, Ratchaburi.

The investigation was launched after residents reported frequent power outages and damage to their household appliances. Upon further inspection by electricity officials, it was suspected that someone had been illegally drawing electricity, leading to an insufficient power supply for the community.

Authorities identified a house functioning as a factory, but initial attempts to communicate with those inside were unsuccessful. A local resident informed officials that the house might be operating as a Bitcoin mining farm. This led officials to request a search warrant.

Upon entering the premises, which was secured with a heavy lock, officers found a large amount of equipment, including over 900 Bitcoin mining machines. However, it was noted that some machines had already been removed, corresponding with reports from residents who observed several men and vehicles removing items from the property at around 03:00 earlier that day. It is believed that the owner of the mining operation had begun to relocate the equipment before the raid.

Further investigations are ongoing as authorities work to trace the individuals responsible for the illegal activity.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-25

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

I've had my AC on all day - should I be worried that the authorities are going to raid my house ?

Is using a lot of electricity a crime here ?

Is mining of bitcoin a crime here ?

The owner was clearly tipped off - but just a little too late !! 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've had my AC on all day - should I be worried that the authorities are going to raid my house ?

Is using a lot of electricity a crime here ?

Is mining of bitcoin a crime here ?

The owner was clearly tipped off - but just a little too late !! 

They were stealing the electricity. If you set up a btc mining op and tell the aot there wouldn't be a problem.....just a huge electric bill.

Siphoning off electricity is much better for your btc mining op.$$$$$$

• Agree 1

On 8/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Of course they will if you try to waste electricity illegally 

On 8/25/2024 at 4:41 AM, Georgealbert said:

Upon further inspection by electricity officials, it was suspected that someone had been illegally drawing electricity, leading to an insufficient power supply for the community.

On 8/25/2024 at 5:42 PM, stoner said:

They were stealing the electricity. If you set up a btc mining op and tell the aot there wouldn't be a problem.....just a huge electric bill.

Siphoning off electricity is much better for your btc mining op.$$$$$$

I misunderstood the meaning when the phrase 'illegally drawing electricity'....     But, IF steeling electricty with a 'tap-in' to a non-metered source, then thats fully understandable.

(wrongly so) I initially understood that they may have just had very high usage (and very high bills) causing the problems which the MEA decided was illegal.

2 hours ago, User One said:
On 8/25/2024 at 2:45 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Of course they will if you try to waste electricity illegally 

How does one 'waste electricity' illegally ? is there legal and illegal waste of electricity ?

My Wife has the AC on at about -10 Deg C in the bedroom, then wraps herself up in duvet suitable for an Arctic winter !!...     that's illegal use and should be stopped in my book !!! (as I pay the bills).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I misunderstood the meaning when the phrase 'illegally drawing electricity'....     But, IF steeling electricty with a 'tap-in' to a non-metered source, then thats fully understandable.

(wrongly so) I initially understood that they may have just had very high usage (and very high bills) causing the problems which the MEA decided was illegal.

Mining btc is quite lucrative when you don't pay power :)

• Agree 1