Curved roof tiles vs flat

We are currently planning a new house to.be built and looking at all the newer building's and they all see to have flat tiled roofs.

Our current house has the curved type and was wondering if we should go for the flat style roof tile as they do look more modern .

I have searched and found the curved tiles have a better run off when there are heavy rain's and the flat roof tiles have a higher probability of rain getting through ,causing leaks.

Anyone using flat roof tiles and how have they been?

Much prefer the look of the flat tiles ,

Not looked into the cost of both yet.

Edited by kwak250
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I have searched and found the curved tiles have a better run off when there are heavy rain's and the flat roof tiles have a higher probability of rain getting through ,causing leaks.

I am sure both are fine if they are properly installed.

The problem, as usual in Thailand, is to make sure you have someone with knowledge and patience to install this properly... 

I would never use roof tiles.  Rolled steel for us.  Step into the 21st century.

Rolled steel, insulated, stronger, cheaper, lighter, can walk on and simply all around better.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would never use roof tiles.  Rolled steel for us.  Step into the 21st century.

Rolled steel, insulated, stronger, cheaper, lighter, can walk on and simply all around better.

Thanks I will look at this but someone in our family had a house built that had a rolled steel roof and when it rained heavily it was very noisy .

They had roof insulation but might have been a cheaper quality than what you have fitted.

Edited by kwak250
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Thanks I will look at this but someone in our family had a house built that had a rolled steel roof and when it rained heavily it was very noisy .

They had roof insulation but might have been a cheaper quality than what you have fitted.

We don't really hear the rain, any extra anyway, unless we go outside, then hear it on the veranda or carport.  Carport mostly, as not insulated, though would probably hear anyway, and the veranda has a ceiling.

Thickest insulation BlueScope offered, plus the ceiling has rolled insulation (R+37 ?) on it.  Both for heat, not sound.  

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Looks like a barn but that is ok i guess.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

We installed flat tile 17 years ago,not had one leak so far.

Flat tiles weigh a lot less and therefore the roof construction can be lighter and thus will be cheaper.

What i did notice over the years is that we now have some type of mold on the tiles

but it does not effect anything,just looks a bit darker then before.

• Thanks 1

Start peeking at roofs while out & about driving, and you notice a lot of steel roofs about.  People moving away from the 'traditional' look, as simply too practical, with added plus of better & cheaper.  And looks just fine, not that people actually pay attention to one's roof.

ours ...

image.png.2e3b87153ceb9aadc7cdf9777dcf87ca.png

some local ones ... 

image.png.4607837978ece06769fa4d73469700e2.png

image.png.26c6fdeede9dbeb60befcada307600c1.png

Definitely going to go for flat tiles 

Told by a few builders not to use the rolled steel as like I have experienced its so noisy .

Might use it for the car port but probably won't 

Last time I went to my nephews house and it rained very heavily we had to shout to hear each other.

Even the dogs were scared.

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

Definitely going to go for flat tiles 

Told by a few builders not to use the rolled steel as like I have experienced its so noisy .

Might use it for the car port but probably won't 

Last time I went to my nephews house and it rained very heavily we had to shout to hear each other.

Even the dogs were scared.

I must be going deaf then, as not hearing it.   Won't be because there's possibly more profit in tile.  They'll also need more steel to hold the heavy tiles up.  Or they simply don't do, as old school, which would concern me more.

Good Luck.

Maybe we'll have a good long downpour, and I can make a vid, inside to veranda to inside, then out to the carport.  Carport of course you'll hear.

When in the bedroom at night if a downpour, I'll ask, 'Is that rain ?  That's how little I hear'  Sometimes have to turn the AC off to hear it.  Not the ding ding ding, you are imagining of water on tin roof, but massive amount of water on the roof, and sounds not much different, if any, than on a tile rood, IMHO

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

The first house we owned had a flat tile roof.  It leaked in a half dozen places and it was a nightmare trying to, first, figure out where the leaks actually were, and then try to stop the leaks.  It wasn't just our house.  The whole project had the same kind of flat tile roofs and some others also had leaks.  While we lived there, several people we knew had their entire roofs replaced, with new flat tiles to keep the same look of the project.  Some of these homes still leaked--which was so frustrating for the owners after spending the money for a new roof.

Our current house and the new one we are building in a different housing estate have curved tile roofs and, so far, no leaks.  Fingers crossed.  We have an insulated metal roof on our long terrace roof.  My spouse thought it might be noisy when it rains but it isn't.  I think the insulation helps, plus it is also finished with a regular drywall ceiling.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

The first house we owned had a flat tile roof.  It leaked in a half dozen places and it was a nightmare trying to, first, figure out where the leaks actually were, and then try to stop the leaks.  It wasn't just our house.  The whole project had the same kind of flat tile roofs and some others also had leaks.  While we lived there, several people we knew had their entire roofs replaced, with new flat tiles to keep the same look of the project.  Some of these homes still leaked--which was so frustrating for the owners after spending the money for a new roof.

Our current house and the new one we are building in a different housing estate have curved tile roofs and, so far, no leaks.  Fingers crossed.  We have an insulated metal roof on our long terrace roof.  My spouse thought it might be noisy when it rains but it isn't.  I think the insulation helps, plus it is also finished with a regular drywall ceiling.

Thanks this was something I have worried about and we currently have the curved tiles and never had any problems. 

Think I will go for the curved again as I will always be worrying and don't want that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

When in the bedroom at night if a downpour, I'll ask, 'Is that rain ?  That's how little I hear'  Sometimes have to turn the AC off to hear it.  Not the ding ding ding, you are imagining of water on tin roof, but massive amount of water on the roof, and sounds not much different, if any, than on a tile rood, IMHO

You must have a different grade rolled steel than what I have heard.

If you asked "Is that rain" where I have been that had that type of roof you wouldn't be heard.

You definitely wouldn't even know if the ac  was on or not.

Our designer who is doing the house plans only and already said we should try lots of different quotes for building from other companies said if you are on a tight budget use rolled steel but said its noisy as hell which was my experience .

Like I said you must have some different grade but I won't be using that .

Tiled looks so much nicer but for the car port maybe if its far enough away from the house.

Edited by kwak250

OP's mind seems to be made up, but for others, contrast of rain noise on carport, entrance foyer, veranda, bedroom.  May need to turn volume up to my voice level when in bedroom, or not if open in YT

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2