Old Thai Coins May Be Worth Millions; Collectors Urged to Check

image.jpeg

FILE - Courtesy: Intergold

Collectors of old Thai coins are in for a potential windfall as certain coins, including 1 baht, 5 baht, and 10 baht coins from specific years, could be worth significant amounts of money, sometimes even reaching millions of baht.

Yesterday, a TikTok user shared valuable information, highlighting the need for collectors and the general public to scrutinise their collections. In the video, the user revealed that a 1 baht coin from 1986 (2529 B.E.) can fetch between 200 and 500 baht. This revelation has set off a wave of excitement amongst collectors.

Delving deeper into the details, the video further explained that 5 baht coins from 1997 are particularly sought after, with collectors willing to pay between 4,000 and 7,000 baht.

However, the user advised caution as some coins have been tampered with by altering the numeral ‘5’ to a ‘4’ through filing. It's crucial to inspect coins closely for any signs of such modifications to determine their authenticity.

Equally intriguing is the demand for 10 baht coins from 1988. With only 62,000 of these coins minted, they command prices ranging from 700 to 1,000 baht. Yet, the rarest and most valuable are the 10 baht coins from 1990.

These coveted coins can fetch an astounding 500,000 to 1 million baht due to their rarity, with only 100 coins minted and just over ten known to exist in Thailand.

There is also a 10 baht coin from 1998, but its value is relatively modest, priced between 50 and 500 baht.

The TikTok user reiterated the importance of vigilance, urging collectors to examine their coins meticulously for any alterations that could affect their value. This recent surge in interest underscores the hidden treasures that might be lying unnoticed in coin collections across the country.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-27

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I wish I had the time to examine every single coin which passes through my grubby fingers/

My missus takes care of that for me...

My wife was excited after going through her old coins from her deceased father's and her own old coin collection. A number of them matched those in the Tik Tok video to worth "hundreds of thousands" . She and her adult son took them to a well known coin shop somewhere here in Chiang Mai.  The owner had great laugh of all the people bringing in coins because of Tik Tok.  He said he had hundreds of them for display but of minimal value and didn't want any more.  As I told my wife before, unless a collectable item, eg, coin, is spotless, has not been in circulation, and many other factors, they are not valuable.  They had a good laugh about the situation, He wished the tik tok fans would quit coming in.  (No I don't know where this shop is).

• Haha 1

My wife has a large pot of coins in her wardrobe, for years I've been using it as a slush fund for small purchases, she hasn't noticed yet!

On another note she says her gold collection is also in the wardrobe I've not been able to find that!

😁😬😂🐘🚀

In 1990 my daughter was playing with other children around this coconut tree.  I walked over and found a 1 satang coin.  Date was still visible.  I have it here somewhere.  Little round coin with a whole through the center.  It is 34 years older than when I found it.