Family Struggles with Uncooperative Bus Owner Following Fatal Accident in Thailand

snoop1130

Tour_bus_in_Thailand.jpg

The family of a man left dead and a child permanently disabled after a tragic road accident are struggling to receive compensation from the tour bus owner involved. The owner allegedly transferred his assets to dodge legal responsibility.

Naphatsawan Kat Klinnin shared on Facebook the difficulties her family has been dealing with since the dreadful collision when a tour bus hit their van from behind. The accident happened on January 19, 2020, on Rattanathibet Road in Nonthaburi, Thailand around 8pm.

Four family members were seriously injured, including Naphatsawan, her young children, and her father-in-law. Tragically, her father-in-law died shortly afterward, and her son was left with irreversible injuries.

Naphatsawan's family initiated a lawsuit against the responsible parties, including the bus driver, his wife, a limited partnership, and an insurance company. However, the defendants failed to appear in court.

The family's attorney was able to negotiate for a lower compensation amount, but the defendants failed to make any payment from the first installment.

Naphatsawan discovered the tour bus owner's husband had transferred their shared property to other relatives right after the settlement was agreed upon. Her family then filed a fraud lawsuit against the owner's wife, her husband, and his child from a previous marriage.

Attempts at mediation led to an agreement to sell the tour bus to pay off the debt, but yet again, the defendants failed to follow through. Naphatsawan has voiced her frustration at the dishonest tactics of the defendants, who reportedly continued their business operations and flaunted their luxury lifestyle on social media despite claiming to have no assets.

The aftermath of the accident and subsequent legal struggles have severely affected Naphatsawan's family. The medical care and physical therapy for her permanently disabled son are significant financial burdens. Naphatsawan herself has developed high blood pressure and anxiety, while her husband suffers from insomnia and her daughter has been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder.

Despite their financial distress, the defendants continue to evade responsibility, leaving the family feeling frustrated and helpless.

Naphatsawan remains determined, saying, “It breaks my heart seeing my son suffer like this. The idea of giving up has crossed my mind, but I can't abandon my child. We need justice.”

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-27

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Then they'll ask them to come to jail, but they'll say they're too busy.  The authorities will then shrug their shoulders and say that they did all they could.

Exactly! At least they tried and gave it their best.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the tour bus was properly insured, surely the insurance company should be paying any award, that’s why you have insurance?

No party should need to sell assets to settle any dispute regarding the effects of a collision. That should be paid from the insurer’s funds.

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The courts need to step up and freeze all the families assets, 

As in assets owned by brothers/sisters/uncles/aunts/nephews/nieces/parents/grandparents ?

Bwahahahahaha, that will never happen !

Edited by Ralf001
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

As in assets owned by brothers/sisters/uncles/aunts/nephews/nieces/parents/grandparents ?

Bwahahahahaha, that will never happen !

He transferred his assets to family members, those can be traced by the banks and frozen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If agreement has been made, it must be signed. They are then breaking the law. Put all connected with the accident and the fraud in jail, take their assets and pay the agreed amount.

Ok then.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Ok then.

How nice of you to say. Unfortunately, it is not ok, as the post was only my opinion. How would it be if you posted yours, instead of short arrogant replies?

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Ok then.

as long as anyone is connected to money, there are escapes from just about any crime.  We have seen that in many cases and even when people go to court get a favorable verdict, are supposed to receive monies from the rich folks in many cases they never receive what the court has ordered, even when they go back more than once tryiing to get JUSTICE!  doesn't happen here all the time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

How nice of you to say. Unfortunately, it is not ok, as the post was only my opinion. How would it be if you posted yours, instead of short arrogant replies?

You tell em mate.

i am sure they will listen to you.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

If the tour bus was properly insured, surely the insurance company should be paying any award, that’s why you have insurance?

No party should need to sell assets to settle any dispute regarding the effects of a collision. That should be paid from the insurer’s funds.

Agreed. But then why change the ownership of assets if there would be a proper insurance? I suppose there isn't any valid insurance.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Presnock said:

as long as anyone is connected to money, there are escapes from just about any crime.  We have seen that in many cases and even when people go to court get a favorable verdict, are supposed to receive monies from the rich folks in many cases they never receive what the court has ordered, even when they go back more than once tryiing to get JUSTICE!  doesn't happen here all the time.

Correct. 
Can be even easier as a foreigner. 
even if you get convicted in court you can appeal, buy your passport back, promise to return and never do.

Thais prefer money than locking us up which costs money.

Some people have no idea.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

You tell em mate.

i am sure they will listen to you.

Do you understand the word opinion? I will help you: An opinion can not be read as the person voicing it as they are telling someone to do something.

That was todays lesson. Just tell me if you wish to sign up for a monthly subscription.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Do you understand the word opinion? I will help you: An opinion can not be read as the person voicing it as they are telling someone to do something.

That was today’s lesson. Just tell me if you wish to sign up for a monthly subscription.

You should write a letter.

in my opinion.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1