Spike Protein test available in Thailand?

I suspect I have long COVID or a reaction to the mRNA vaccine. Thai doctors will not go near this possibility, refusing even to speak about it. I've had diagnoses including stroke (eliminated by MRI) , OSA (I've had OSA for 20 years and have no idea why 2 weeks after I got the second shot of vaccine, I developed such terrible fatigue, that I could not continue at the gym, after 15 years of attending daily) and early Alzheimers' (I have loss of hippocampus tissue and loss of cortex much greater than is usual for my age.....plus strong family history of dementia). 

In the US there are ads for 'spike protein tests' and I am wondering if anyone knows whether such tests are available in Thailand.

Thank you for your help. Please PM me if you know of anywhere in Thailand offering this test.

Edited by retarius

7 minutes ago, connda said:

I feel your pain although I refused the shots.  Had Covid once - a mild flu and no "Long Covid" afterwards.  Best of luck but I doubt your going to find what you're looking for, and if someone does post an "alternative medicine approach" it will be promptly removed. 

You may want to add, "PM me with solutions" to your post.

Thanks

Reading more of the article, was hoping it was more optimistic than it is.  Seems any therapies are in trial phase still.  Article is over 1 year old.  

... "Additionally, we include clinical trials on long COVID-19 and vaccine injury in Table S1. A search for clinical trials for the condition “Long COVID OR Long COVID-19” in ClinicalTrials.gov revealed 317 studies. A search for clinical trials on vaccine adverse events revealed that one study used rutin and glycoside-rich mulberry juice to reduce adverse events to C19 injection [44]. Other studies, while not specifically treating the immune response, administer therapy alongside vaccination to observe changes in response. These include spermidine [45], probiotics [46], a yeast-based supplement rich in selenium and zinc [47], plant stanol esters [48], mushrooms [49], deltoid muscle exercises (for site pain) [50], osteopathic manipulative treatment [51,52], metformin [53], iron [54], ergoferon [55], ketogenic diet [56], and immunosuppressants [57,58].

It is a difficult task to assess the evidentiary basis for each type of intervention, as few meta-analyses have been carried out. For example, a search in the Cochrane Collaboration Library for “Post Acute COVID-19” yields one relevant review on remedying olfactory dysfunction, finding limited evidence for the usefulness of proposed therapies [59]. Furthermore, 46 relevant completed studies for the search term “Long COVID” exist on ClinicalTrials.gov (8 January 2023). As few systematic reviews exist, we aim to summarize the evidentiary basis of the known interventions currently in clinical trials for the treatment of long COVID-19 and COVID-19 vaccine injury are shown in Table S1. There is a single review on treating COVID-19 vaccine injury that could be found, which is included in Table S1."

Edited by KhunLA

This looks optimistic.  At worst you get plenty of K2, for good heart health :coffee1:

Again if a workable study sees the light of day.  If degrading the spike protein in covid cell, one would hope it also degrades spike proteins alone.

... "4. Conclusions In this study, we demonstrated that nattokinase, a serine protease, degrades the S protein of SARS-CoV-2. To investigate whether nattokinase contained in natto extract could inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection, we analyzed S protein degradation by mixing the S protein expression cell lysate and nattokinase in a dose- and time-dependent manner. The RBD of the S protein binds to the membrane-distal portion of the ACE2 protein. Natto extract has been reported to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection in Vero E6 cells via RBD degradation [16]. We demonstrated that S protein degradation by nattokinase was blocked by heat or proteininhibitor treatments. Our data suggest that the protease activity of nattokinase plays a crucial role in S protein degradation. Taken together, these findings support the notion that the inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 infection by natto extract was due to S protein degradation by nattokinase. Thus, our data indicated that nattokinase and natto extracts have potential effects on the inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 host cell entry via S protein degradation."

• Thanks 1

I did not download the full article.  Another endorsing nattokinase.   Which we actually make our own Natto, for the K2, but probably not in the concentration needed for any therapy, that supplements or other sources may provide.

... "McCullough Protocol: Base Spike Detoxification (BSD). A: Dissolution of spike protein-induced thrombus. Nattokinase directly degrades fibrinolysis-resistant fibrin (from spike protein), and bromelain upregulates fibrinolysis. B: Inhibition of spike protein via ACE2 receptors. Bromelain and curcumin block the ACE2 receptor, preventing spike protein from binding. (c) Proteolytic degradation of spike protein. Nattokinase and bromelain degrade spike proteins, rendering them inactive."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I did not download the full article.  Another endorsing nattokinase.   Which we actually make our own Natto, for the K2, but probably not in the concentration needed for any therapy, that supplements or other sources may provide.

... "McCullough Protocol: Base Spike Detoxification (BSD). A: Dissolution of spike protein-induced thrombus. Nattokinase directly degrades fibrinolysis-resistant fibrin (from spike protein), and bromelain upregulates fibrinolysis. B: Inhibition of spike protein via ACE2 receptors. Bromelain and curcumin block the ACE2 receptor, preventing spike protein from binding. (c) Proteolytic degradation of spike protein. Nattokinase and bromelain degrade spike proteins, rendering them inactive."

Thanks Khun LA. I have tried nattokinase last year for a couple of months when I was really in bad shape, and indeed I have some upstairs bought in Japan.

I also tried last year NAC (N-acetylcysteine) that binds to the ACE2 receptors at the same time.

Compared to before having the vaccines, I am left with a large cognitive deficit, extreme fatigue and day time sleepiness.

The cognitive deficit shows up in things like puzzles. I used to do crosswords since I was a teenager, and sudoku every day. Now I cannot do any cryptic crosswords, not even one clue, and can do only the easiest of Sudoku. Plus my short term memory is awful. The fatigue prevents any meaningful exercise and sleeping in the day means I don't get a good night's sleep. My range of walking, in warm conditions, is about 100 metres and my wife is trying to get me into a wheelchair that I am resisting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

A bit off topic, but since I had covid in May 2022 my sense of smell has pretty much vanished entirely. 

I had two Sinovac shots and an AZ booster.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope it eventually clears up.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

nattokinase and natto extracts

I don't see how Japanese eat that stuff.  Ugh - it's nasty.  But it has all sorts of health benefits. 

3 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't see how Japanese eat that stuff.  Ugh - it's nasty.  But it has all sorts of health benefits. 

A little soi sauce & mustard.  Store bought stuff usually comes with it.   Couple drops of honey.  I've gotten quite used it, though can't say I enjoy it.  Shovel it in pretty fast with a glass of kefir to wash it down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Thanks Khun LA. I have tried nattokinase last year for a couple of months when I was really in bad shape, and indeed I have some upstairs bought in Japan.

I also tried last year NAC (N-acetylcysteine) that binds to the ACE2 receptors at the same time.

Compared to before having the vaccines, I am left with a large cognitive deficit, extreme fatigue and day time sleepiness.

The cognitive deficit shows up in things like puzzles. I used to do crosswords since I was a teenager, and sudoku every day. Now I cannot do any cryptic crosswords, not even one clue, and can do only the easiest of Sudoku. Plus my short term memory is awful. The fatigue prevents any meaningful exercise and sleeping in the day means I don't get a good night's sleep. My range of walking, in warm conditions, is about 100 metres and my wife is trying to get me into a wheelchair that I am resisting. 

Cognitive decline sucks.  Check out Phosphatidyl Serine and Huperzine A.  You can look up their use and efficacy online.  I use both.  Phosphatidyl Serine is pricey.  I was having significant memory issues a year ago but I've seen significant improvement over the last year.  If you want to do your own research look up "nootropic supplements" online.  Be aware that sites tend to try to sell you "their stuff" online.  Imho, you look to see what the individual supplements are and work with them individually. I buy mine on iHerb.com. That's what I did with Phosphatidyl Serine and Huperzine A.  I tried and reject a few other thing that didn't work for me personally.  You got to experiment. 

You've got a lot going on.  Take them one at a time and give yourself time.  Like I said, it took me close to two years to get over Dengue.  

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A little soi sauce & mustard.  Store bought stuff usually comes with it.   Couple drops of honey.  I've gotten quite used it, though can't say I enjoy it.  Shovel it in pretty fast with a glass of kefir to wash it down.

Exactly. 

A post filled with misinformation has been removed.

@retarius  you mention possible long COVID vs vaccine effects. Did you have a confirmed case of COVID and if so  when in this timeline? If you had COVID then long COVID is quite likely. But obviously not if you did not have it. 

The "spike protein test" does not test for presence/amount of COVID spike protein in the body. It is a serology test that measures antibody levels.  While it can apparently help differentiate between Long COVID and vaccine-related effects this distinction has no individual clinical application. In other words, it won't help you to know this. 

Severe COVID and Long COVID both appear related to the immune response as are vaccine side effects. In other words, in a minority of people the vaccine triggers immune system-mediated complocations of the same type seen in  some COVID infections. It does so at a much lower rate/severity than actual COVID infection but that is not much comfort if you happen to be among the minority who suffer such effects. 

Where in Thailand are you located? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

you mention possible long COVID vs vaccine effects. Did you have a confirmed case of COVID and if so  when in this timeline? If you had COVID then long COVID is quite likely. But obviously not if you did not have it. 

Sheryl, just a query about your comment above. AFAIK, lots of people during the course of the pandemic had COVID infections and were never formally tested for them for various reasons, including both those who had symptoms at the time and those who didn't, at least to the level of recognizing them as such. Thus, the absence of a positive COVID test result doesn't necessarily mean someone never became infected with COVID.  Though I believe there are retrospective blood tests (serology) that can better answer that one way or the other.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, connda said:

No one's going to fund a study to compare vaccinated against unvaccinated populations to find out if "Long Covid" is statistically significant in both populations.  

Several such studies have been done. Long COVID can occur in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people but is significantly more common in the  unvaccinated. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(24)00082-1/fulltext

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A post filled with misinformation has been removed.

@retarius  you mention possible long COVID vs vaccine effects. Did you have a confirmed case of COVID and if so  when in this timeline? If you had COVID then long COVID is quite likely. But obviously not if you did not have it. 

The "spike protein test" does not test for presence/amount of COVID spike protein in the body. It is a serology test that measures antibody levels.  While it can apparently help differentiate between Long COVID and vaccine-related effects this distinction has no individual clinical application. In other words, it won't help you to know this. 

Severe COVID and Long COVID both appear related to the immune response as are vaccine side effects. In other words, in a minority of people the vaccine triggers immune system-mediated complocations of the same type seen in  some COVID infections. It does so at a much lower rate/severity than actual COVID infection but that is not much comfort if you happen to be among the minority who suffer such effects. 

Where in Thailand are you located? 

I had there vaccines in Sept 2021 and had a confirmed case of COVID (very mild) in May 2022. I took some medicines prescribed by the hospital, but no anti-virals. My fatigue symptoms and very severe brain fog started in the fall of 2021 i.e before the start of the COVID infection.   I continued downhill in symptoms when I went to Bumrungrad for treatment in early 2023.

The test I saw advertised in the US was called a 'spike protein test' in the headline of the ad, which is why I was interested in it.

I have gone back to the website where it was advertised and unfortunately the ad is no longer there, but searching for spike protein test brings up a test which is indeed a test measuring antibodies formed rather than the spike protein itself, and not much use to me.

I live in outside BKK, but use hospitals in the Bangkok area as I am very unhappy with the quality of doctors at the hospitals where I live. I don't want to get sued by mentioning the town or hospital. I use Bumrungrad usually but am will to explore other hospitals if there are good neurologists there. My aim would be to have less daytime fatigue and a smaller cognitive deficit or as expressed as activity (to be able to drive again and to exercise).  

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, NIH is not acknowledging the issue, at least, not via the link you provided.

The link you provided merely is a citation and weblink to an 3rd party article included in the NIH's online library of published research, both good and bad.

And as the NLM/NIH website page you linked to notes at the very top:

"As a library, NLM provides access to scientific literature. Inclusion in an NLM database does not imply endorsement of, or agreement with, the contents by NLM or the National Institutes of Health."

Beyond that, the authors of the article you cited include several with dubious credentials, including one (Paul Marik) affiliated with the group Frontline COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC), which is renowned for hawking unproven COVID treatments and supposed remedies, including the discredited use of Ivermectin as a COVID treatment.

Earning it the following designation:

Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) – Bias and Credibility

PSEUDOSCIENCE

"Overall, we rate the Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance as a strong pseudoscience website based on the promotion of unproven alternative medicines that falsely mislead people and several failed fact checks.

The Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) is a small U.S. organization of physicians and former journalists formed in March 2020 that has advocated for various alternative treatments for COVID-19, including the anti-parasitic drug Ivermectin. Paul E. Marik and Pierre Kory lead the group.

The website also features a disclaimer that reads, “The Ivermectin/Mask+ Protocol has not been adopted as a medical consensus. While clinical experience and research to date are promising, these products have not been proven safe and effective by prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies acceptable to US medical associations and regulatory bodies.” In general, the FLCCC promotes alternative treatments for the prevention and treatment of Covid-19 while downplaying vaccines."

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/front-line-covid-19-critical-care-alliance-flccc-bias/

they did in previous link, but you read things differently than me.   Here, try this one instead, and interpret it anyway you want.

Click on below statement ... 

... " The production of ‘safe and effective’ vaccines was a key public health target. Sadly, unprecedented high rates of adverse events have overshadowed the benefits." ... 

For those simply wanting the 'reader's digest' version ... paraphrased from article and self explanatory ...

... "1. Introduction

In this narrative review, we examine the solid evidence for a counter-narrative to the ‘safe and effective’ message that has accompanied the novel product COVID-19 vaccines, which were developed at ‘warp speed’ with great hope to end the pandemic. This evidence has accumulated and dampened the original optimism. The implications for the recognition of vaccine-related diagnoses and the need for therapeutics are significant for all health practitioners and many research scientists to consider.

Key problem areas appear to be (1) the toxicity of the spike protein—both from the virus and also when produced by gene codes in the novel COVID-19 mRNA and adenovectorDNA vaccines "

A nonsense paper by several authors, among others, affiliated with the RFK Jr. anti-vax quack group Children's Health Defense, along with others whose backgrounds very fittingly are food-agriculture and psychiatry.

Screenshot_4.jpg.a16fb31e453e86246252cfc480f86733.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg.4c3528274bde9795d2761b9837b2f6c5.jpg

"Overall, we rate the Children’s Health Defense a strong conspiracy and quackery level advocacy group that frequently promotes unsupported claims. We also rate them low for factual reporting due to the promotion of propaganda and several failed fact checks.

Besides promoting anti-vaccination propaganda, the Children Health Defense has also promoted the debunked conspiracy that fluoride lowers the IQ in children.  At this time, there is not enough evidence to make that claim.  Other conspiracies and/or pseudoscience promoted on this website includes the dangers of 5G. During the Coronavirus pandemic, the group accused the United States government of supporting research on a vaccine as part of a plan to increase revenues for the pharmaceutical industry. Further, as seen below they routinely promote false and misleading claims regarding Covid-19 and vaccines."

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/childrens-health-defense/

And further on the general anti-vaxer claims  relating to spike proteins:

The spike protein encoded in the COVID-19 vaccines has been the subject of much alarmism from anti-vaxxers. None of it is actually worrisome.

8 Jun 2024

"Our office recently celebrated its 25th anniversary—25 years of, among other things, separating sense from nonsense on scientific matters. I would argue that our work is harder now than it has ever been: as the dance of science becomes ever more convoluted, pseudoscience follows in its footsteps, imitating its complexity and looking more and more convincing.

The COVID vaccines, administered over 13 billion times, are really, really safe. A massive review looking at 41 randomized controlled trials of 12 different COVID-19 vaccines on a total of nearly half a million participants concluded that there was probably little to no difference between most vaccines and placebos when it came to serious side effects.

Take-home message:
- The claim that the spike protein or its messenger RNA can be detected for weeks or months after vaccination is based on studies where fragments were barely detectable, often trillionths of a gram, which is in keeping with our understanding of biology."

McGill University

Office for Science and Society

Separating Sense from Nonsense

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-medical-critical-thinking/spikeopathy-speculative-fiction-contaminates-blood-supply

• Haha 2

A post commenting on forum moderation in violation of forum rules has been removed.

Also, note the following local Health and Medicine forum rules that apply here:

"4. Posting/pinning of news articles: The forum is for members to seek advice on health/beauty related matters. it is not the place for general dissemination of news, research findings etc. Members are not to post news articles/research findings unless in the context of a discussion specific to an ASEAN NOW member's health/beauty related problem." [emphasis added]

and

"Quackery, on the other hand, is defined as claims made for the absolute prevention or cure of disease unrelated to an established discipline (allopathic or otherwise) and unsupported by scientific evidence. These often occur in fads. Use of the forum to promote quack cures will not be tolerated."

https://aseannow.com/topic/224498-health-forum-rules/

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Several such studies have been done. Long COVID can occur in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people but is significantly more common in the  unvaccinated. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(24)00082-1/fulltext

The OP does not mention his actual age. With OSA and a family history of dementia, maybe the dice are loaded without any COVID or vaccine involvement.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, retarius said:

I have gone back to the website where it was advertised and unfortunately the ad is no longer there, but searching for spike protein test brings up a test which is indeed a test measuring antibodies formed rather than the spike protein itself, and not much use to me.

Spike protein only lasts a few days to a few weeks in the body. No test will detect any of it in your body if you were infected in 2021. Unless you have some research findings to suggest otherwise. I didn't find any on a brief search. Long covid is certainly real, but not as a result of spike proteins left over. Many viruses can have long lasting effects, such as dengue. 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 2:03 PM, retarius said:

I had there vaccines in Sept 2021 and had a confirmed case of COVID (very mild) in May 2022. I took some medicines prescribed by the hospital, but no anti-virals. My fatigue symptoms and very severe brain fog started in the fall of 2021 i.e before the start of the COVID infection.   I continued downhill in symptoms when I went to Bumrungrad for treatment in early 2023.

The test I saw advertised in the US was called a 'spike protein test' in the headline of the ad, which is why I was interested in it.

I live in outside BKK, but use hospitals in the Bangkok area as I am very unhappy with the quality of doctors at the hospitals where I live. I don't want to get sued by mentioning the town or hospital. I use Bumrungrad usually but am will to explore other hospitals if there are good neurologists there. My aim would be to have less daytime fatigue and a smaller cognitive deficit or as expressed as activity (to be able to drive again and to exercise).  

I suggest you try  doctors at Bumrungrad

(1) https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/hiroshi-chantaphakul

He is an immunologist. The symptoms you describe may be  consistent with Myalgic encephalomyelitis (AKA Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which is thought to be immunological in origin. If those symptoms worsened after the natural COVID infection then Long COVID may also play a part, and this too is thought to be immunological in cause.  

(2) https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/ketchai-suavansri

A specialist in cognitive disorders. Be sure to bring your MRI result.

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

Spike protein only lasts a few days to a few weeks in the body. No test will detect any of it in your body if you were infected in 2021. Unless you have some research findings to suggest otherwise. I didn't find any on a brief search. Long covid is certainly real, but not as a result of spike proteins left over. Many viruses can have long lasting effects, such as dengue. 

As has been explained, the Spike Protein tests measure antibody, not spike protein itself (which indeed does not last very long in the body)

Although understanding of Long COVID is still in early phases, it (and other COVID complications) seems to be immunological in origin i.e.aan abnormal and prolonged immune response may underlie it. Same may be true of some vaccine reactions as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, connda said:

I PM'ed him some resources to look at.  If you look at mainstream media as well as main-stream health  sites, they'll all acknowledge this "Long Covid" issue without providing much in the way of diagnosis or prognosis or "whys."  Personally I think it's the shots although after having "Long Dengue" I will attested that viral infections can do some damage to your body.  It took me 19 months after having Dengue to feel even remotely "normal."  So I can't outright discount Covid infections having a "Long Covid" component, but from personal experience it was a mild flu and done.  No one's going to fund a study to compare vaccinated against unvaccinated populations to find out if "Long Covid" is statistically significant in both populations.  It doesn't fit the narrative. 
The FL*** provides a protocol but I won't bother to link it here.  The mainstream health sites basically say "go to a doctor, do what they say, and pray."  Basically mainstream doctors don't have a clue because their treatment options are still bounded by the "misinformation" conundrum.  Doctors are allowed to prescribe everything except what may actually be effective.  Medice, cura te ipsum.
As some point you need to take your health into your own hands.

yes, the FL *** protocol would be a good start to read .   I agree with what you have written .   If someone has a lot of money there are a few places in the States with treatment facilities .