Kamala Harris Outlines Vision for Presidency in Exclusive CNN Interview

Social Media

Takeaways from CNN's interview with Harris and Walz | CNN Politics

Speaking with CNN’s Dana Bash, Harris emphasized that while her perspectives on certain policies have changed, her core values have remained steadfast. This interview offered a rare and detailed insight into Harris’s approach as she vies for the presidency, outlining her vision and responding to scrutiny over her past policy stances.

Harris candidly acknowledged that her role as vice president has offered her a broader perspective on some of the country’s most pressing issues, which has influenced her positions. She stressed that her values remain unchanged, even as her policy views have shifted. “I think the most important and most significant aspect of my policy perspective and decisions is my values have not changed,” Harris stated. She elaborated on this by referencing her commitment to addressing the climate crisis, a stance she has consistently held throughout her career. “You mentioned the Green New Deal. I have always believed – and I have worked on it – that the climate crisis is real, that it is an urgent matter to which we should apply metrics that include holding ourselves to deadlines around time.”

Despite this, Harris’s campaign later clarified that she no longer supports the Green New Deal, a broad proposal to combat climate change that was first introduced in 2019. This marks a departure from her earlier position during a 2019 climate crisis town hall hosted by CNN, where she had strongly advocated for a federal ban on fracking, pledging to implement such a ban on her first day in office. However, by the time she became Biden’s running mate, Harris had moved away from that stance, even casting a tie-breaking vote to expand fracking leases.

During the interview, Harris pointed to the Biden administration’s Inflation Reduction Act as a testament to her commitment to combating climate change. This act, she noted, provided record investments in green energy and climate initiatives. “We have set goals for the United States of America and by extension, the globe, around when we should meet certain standards for reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, as an example. That value has not changed,” she said. Harris further explained that she believes it is possible to grow a thriving clean energy economy without banning fracking, reflecting a more nuanced view than her earlier stance.

On the topic of immigration, Harris referenced her tenure as California attorney general, where she prosecuted gangs involved in cross-border trafficking, as evidence of her consistent values. “My values have not changed. So that is the reality of it. And four years of being vice president, I’ll tell you, one of the aspects, to your point, is traveling the country extensively,” she said, highlighting her extensive travel across the U.S. during her vice presidency, including 17 visits to Georgia alone. She emphasized the importance of building consensus and finding common ground to solve complex problems, an approach she plans to continue if elected president.

Harris also addressed other key issues during the interview, including her potential cabinet selections and her approach to the economy. She revealed that she would consider appointing a Republican to her cabinet if elected, signaling her commitment to diversity of opinion and bipartisan cooperation. “I think it’s important to have people at the table when some of the most important decisions are being made that have different views, different experiences. And I think it would be to the benefit of the American public to have a member of my Cabinet who was a Republican,” she said. This approach revives a tradition of appointing members of the opposing party to the cabinet, a practice not followed by either Trump or Biden.

In discussing her economic policies, Harris reiterated her focus on strengthening the middle class and bringing down costs for essential goods and services such as food, housing, and childcare. She pointed to her economic plan, which includes measures to combat price gouging and increase the construction of affordable housing, as key components of her strategy. However, when pressed by Bash on why these proposals had not been fully implemented during the Biden administration, Harris defended the administration’s track record, citing efforts to contain inflation, reduce prescription drug costs, and cut taxes for families. “There’s more to do, but that’s good work,” she stated.

Harris also touched on her relationship with President Joe Biden, particularly in the context of his decision to withdraw from the 2020 presidential race. She recalled the moment Biden informed her of his decision, describing it as a pivotal moment in their partnership. “It was Joe Biden, and he told me what he had decided to do. And I asked him, ‘Are you sure?’ And he said, ‘Yes,’” Harris recounted, adding that her first thoughts were with Biden rather than herself.

The interview also saw Harris address the scrutiny of her racial identity, dismissing Donald Trump’s comments that she “happened to turn Black” as part of the “same old, tired playbook.” Harris, who rarely highlights the historic nature of her candidacy on the campaign trail, acknowledged the significance of her position when reflecting on a photograph of her young grandniece watching her speak at the Democratic National Convention. “I am running because I believe that I am the best person to do this job at this moment for all Americans, regardless of race and gender,” she said, though she admitted being deeply touched by the image.

As the race progresses, Harris aims to solidify her policy positions and address voter concerns about her past reversals. Her interview with CNN represents a significant step in clarifying her vision for the presidency and her approach to governance. With 68 days remaining until the election, Harris is focused on making her case to the American people, promising a presidency that prioritizes unity, economic strength, and a commitment to addressing the pressing issues of the day.

Credit: CNN 2024-08-30

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Looks like a kid at parents evening, explaining why she got bad grades while her Dad silently judges her, contemplating how long to remove her phone priviliges 😃.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

The whole interview was a lie. "I have not changed my values"...WHATT????????

Before you were for defunding the police. Now not. 

You wanted to ban fracking. Now not.

You wanted to have single payer healthcare. Now not.

You wanted to abolish ICE. Now you want to fund it.

But I suppose she was right, back then she said whatever would get her into office, and now too she says anything that will get her into office. So in reality her values have not changed. In as much as her values are "Me me me me me me me".

Oh...you mean she's being a typical (US) politician......yes...I see it now.

Step 1. Get into power.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Oh...you mean she's being a typical (US) politician......yes...I see it now.

Step 1. Get into power.

It's really a reason to pity US voters, not only do they not get a real choice, the people who they can vote for just lie through their teeth.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

What I like about Kamala's recent policy statements are how much they resemble what Trump has been saying since before 2016. It's amazing what a little maturity and common sense can do. But like Trump, I also fault her for not recognizing the unsustainability of the current debt load which is on the verge of making the whole game moot.

17 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, from MAGA fans' desperate reactions in this thread and in the other one, it must have been quite a good interview! 😃

Well, not really, let's look at an impartial observer, the BBC.  You can gauge the tenor of that article is to highlight Harris' lies and changes of position, rather than outright lauding her for a job well done.

The vice-president was forced to defend the White House's economic track record, as inflation and high cost-of-living prices continue to hurt Americans.

Polls have regularly suggested that voters would prefer Mr Trump's handling of the economy. 

But the most tense exchanges centred on the evolution of her policy positions.

Ms Harris did not explain her reversal on banning fracking - a technique for recovering gas and oil from shale rock used by an industry that is particularly strong in the battleground state of Pennsylvania.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3ejw1kd7ndo

So the BBC is politely saying "Kamala Harris you lied, and we know why you reversed your position on fracking, because it's widely used in the swing state Pennsylvania".

Nowhere does the BBC say Harris did a good job.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not many don't lie through their teeth....not nowadays.....lying, exaggerating, falsehoods...... have become normalised since......let me think......2015/16 ish???

Aye, politicians and truth, it's like women's sports and ticket sales.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Well, not really, let's look at an impartial observer, the BBC.  You can gauge the tenor of that article is to highlight Harris' lies and changes of position, rather than outright lauding her for a job well done.

The vice-president was forced to defend the White House's economic track record, as inflation and high cost-of-living prices continue to hurt Americans.

Polls have regularly suggested that voters would prefer Mr Trump's handling of the economy. So the BBC 

But the most tense exchanges centred on the evolution of her policy positions.

Ms Harris did not explain her reversal on banning fracking - a technique for recovering gas and oil from shale rock used by an industry that is particularly strong in the battleground state of Pennsylvania.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3ejw1kd7ndo

So the BBC is politely saying "Kamala Harris you lied, and we know why you reversed your position on fracking, because it's widely used in the swing state Pennsylvania".

Nowhere does the BBC say Harris did a good job.

Nice to see you consider the BBC as an impartial observer! 😅

She's being pragmatic. The global economic context is different than it was when she said that. Isn't it a quality for a President to be pragmatic?

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

15 minutes ago, DougieMax said:

What I like about Kamala's recent policy statements are how much they resemble what Trump has been saying since before 2016. It's amazing what a little maturity and common sense can do. But like Trump, I also fault her for not recognizing the unsustainability of the current debt load which is on the verge of making the whole game moot.

How do they look like Trump's policy statements?

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

To be honest I was expecting softer, given it was CNN.

Something along the lines of "How do you remain so dignified, serene and captivating when dealing with that hideous animal, Trump" as an opener wouldn't have surprised me one bit. 😃

The latter part of the question seems fair.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

To be honest I was expecting softer, given it was CNN.

Something along the lines of "How do you remain so dignified, serene and captivating when dealing with that hideous animal, Trump" as an opener wouldn't have surprised me one bit. 😃

That's a fair point, if even the BBC focuses on the policy reversals Harris has performed this is because it was made a topic.

Still, to ask "Can voters rely on you to have the same policy when you become president" is a soft question, when she could have further explored the endless u-turns Harris has engaged in.

Like with banning fracking, she could have asked "So did you reverse your position on banning fracking because it is a widely used practice in Pennsylvania, which is a swing state?"

At least the BBC picked up on this.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, candide said:

Nice to see you consider the BBC as an impartial observer! 😅

She's being pragmatic. The global economic context is different than it was when she said that. Isn't it a quality for a President to be pragmatic?

Come on, let's be real. 

She's reversed her position on fracking because it's a widely used practice in Pennsylvania, and she knows that's a crucial swing state and wants the votes because she's desperate to be president.

It has nothing to do with "global economic context is different". That was an environmental issue.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, candide said:

How do they look like Trump's policy statements?

You mean like how Trump always did not want to bank fracking, and now Harris suddenly changed her mind and sees no issue with fracking? 😂

You know, because fracking is big in Pennsylvania and Harris needs the votes of that swing state?

Edited by Cameroni
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

That's a fair point, if even the BBC focuses on the policy reversals Harris has performed this is because it was made a topic.

Still, to ask "Can voters rely on you to have the same policy when you become president" is a soft question, when she could have further explored the endless u-turns Harris has engaged in.

Like with banning fracking, she could have asked "So did you reverse your position on banning fracking because it is a widely used practice in Pennsylvania, which is a swing state?"

At least the BBC picked up on this.

That is a very good read.....I would love you to do the same.....not expecting you to, that would be rude.....to give a brief analysis of a Trump interview and hard ball questions....let's say with Musk or that Dr....? Somebody.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

That is a very good read.....I would love you to do the same.....not expecting you to, that would be rude.....to give a brief analysis of a Trump interview and hard ball questions....let's say with Musk or that Dr....? Somebody.

I was surprised as well the BBC would do such a fairly even minded article on that interview.

Sadly, I can not find a single fair minded even handed article on the Trump Musk interview. They're all frothing at the mouth.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Haha 1