Is America ready for TEALs?

Lacessit

In 2022, there was a sea-change in Australian politics - the rise of the TEALs., centrist politicians who are not beholden to either side of politics. The majority parties who want legislation passed now have to convince them of the merits of their proposals.

IMO both sides of politics in America can agree - the country is completely polarized.

The TEALs were successful because they appealed to voters on both sides who thought the major parties were ignoring their concerns, or taking them for granted.

Perhaps they are what America needs. Notably, the TEALs who were successful at the ballot box are all women.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/23/teal-independents-who-are-they-how-did-they-upend-australia-election

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

In 2022, there was a sea-change in Australian politics - the rise of the TEALs., centrist politicians who are not beholden to either side of politics. The majority parties who want legislation passed now have to convince them of the merits of their proposals.

IMO both sides of politics in America can agree - the country is completely polarized.

The TEALs were successful because they appealed to voters on both sides who thought the major parties were ignoring their concerns, or taking them for granted.

Perhaps they are what America needs. Notably, the TEALs who were successful at the ballot box are all women.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/23/teal-independents-who-are-they-how-did-they-upend-australia-election

The only fly in the ointment is that most Trump supporters consider Trump to be a centrist candidate......🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The only fly in the ointment is that most Trump supporters consider Trump to be a centrist candidate......🤣

A major policy plank of the TEALs is acknowledging climate change as real, and a pressing issue.

I narrowly avoided spraying coffee all over my keyboard. The thought of Trump as a warrior for the environment had me choking.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

They also generally share socially liberal outlooks, including on issues such as LGBT rights, and have harnessed grassroots campaigning to achieve strong swings towards them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal_independents

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I narrowly avoided spraying coffee all over my keyboard.

Continue spraying.

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The TEALs were successful

Can you share some of these "successes"?

I searched a bit and came up dry.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

We all know that wind isn't option.....dead birds, noisy, cancer causing, can't have bacon.....wind is a non-starter.

......and did you know that when the wind doesn't blow you get no energy from them????

We have plenty of sun in Australia. South Australia generates about 65% of its electrical energy from renewables, target 100% by 2027. Hornsdale battery stores 150 MW

You have 4 deserts in the USA. While there are some major projects in the Mojave and Sonoran, they are still under construction. Guess who has been dragging their feet?

The USA gets wind 24/7. It's otherwise known as domestic politics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

They also generally share socially liberal outlooks, including on issues such as LGBT rights, and have harnessed grassroots campaigning to achieve strong swings towards them.

Continue spraying.

You can't read the link I put in the OP?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You can't read the link I put in the OP?

I did.

That article is more than two years old and seems to cover, mostly, elections.

I was hoping you could update us on the results.

• Agree 1

NO ... 2 parties only, and no compromises allowed.

Although IMHO, they're is no difference in either party in the USA.    Both self serving with no interest in what the citizens want.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

NO ... 2 parties only, and no compromises allowed.

Although IMHO, they're is no difference in either party in the USA.    Both self serving with no interest in what the citizens want.

"No compromises allowed".

Isn't that America's problem in a nutshell?

Isn't that what Trump did with the bipartisan border legislation? No compromise allowed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Isn't that what Trump did with the bipartisan border legislation? No compromise allowed?

The last thing he wanted was any notion that the border was being 'dealt with' in anyway, shape or form.

Similar to the small boat crossings in the UK......the Tories were desperate to keep up the narrative we were under an invasion and the boats presented an existential crisis.......all red meat for the hard of thinking.

7 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I did.

That article is more than two years old and seems to cover, mostly, elections.

I was hoping you could update us on the results.

AFAIK the TEALs have been a moderating force in Australian politics, and have brought about numerous amendments to legislation.

They do not hold the balance of power. The major parties, however, are sh!tting themselves that they may well do in future governments, because they strongly represent their electorates, and are not party hacks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The bigger problem is pointing fingers at anybody who disagrees with you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Trippy said:

The bigger problem is pointing fingers at anybody who disagrees with you.

You may be right. Ad hominem argument seems to dominate political discourse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Continue spraying.

Here is one link for you.