Anutin Calls for Swift Flood Response and Recovery

image.jpeg

On September 1, 2024, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Mr. Anutin Charnvirakul gave an interview after assessing the flood situation in the northern region, specifically in the provinces of Sukhothai, Chai Nat, and Nakhon Sawan.

He stated that the Ministry of Interior has been closely monitoring the situation and receiving continuous updates. During yesterday's visit, Mr. Anutin emphasized the importance of coordinating the work plan in these areas to ensure mutual understanding.

At the meeting, he proposed simplifying the process of requesting support from the central government for disaster prevention and mitigation to enhance the efficiency of their efforts. "In flood situations, we rely heavily on local governments and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) because they are on the ground.

When requesting help from the central government, we must gather all necessary information and submit it promptly. The quicker we do this, the faster the assistance will arrive, reducing people's suffering and increasing their happiness," he said.

Mr. Anutin explained that the current flooding has been caused by water from the north and heavy rainfall. In many areas, water levels are rising, and residents are moving their belongings to higher ground, while some have built barriers to prevent flooding.

"We have the resources and tools, so we must assist immediately when there is a request. Even when we've done everything possible to prevent flooding, the water may still encroach.

Both local governments and DDPM officials have been directed to reach out to affected residents, deliver food and water, and reassure them that the government is committed to their well-being. If anyone is ill, we must coordinate to ensure they receive medical care."

“Late last night, at midnight, I saw defense volunteers and many officers from the Interior Ministry and other agencies helping the people. I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone. Sometimes, our work never stops because people are waiting for our help. This is difficult work, but it’s the value of fulfilling our duty,” Mr. Anutin added.

Mr. Anutin also noted that the floods have already passed through many provinces, causing significant damage. He urged everyone to assist the people in recovering and restoring the affected areas to normal.

He praised the dedication of all involved, mentioning that many have gone above and beyond, even using their own resources. For example, some village headmen and local leaders used agricultural drones to deliver relief supplies, risking damage to ensure food and water reached the villagers, which helped them survive. "That is truly commendable.

Our mission at the Interior Ministry is clear: to alleviate suffering and promote happiness. Your efforts bring smiles, create happiness for the people, and build their trust in you," he concluded.

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-02

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Anutin explained that the current flooding has been caused by water from the north and heavy rainfall. In many areas,

As said, I too am also Thankful to Anutin, for explaining flooding, has been caused by water and heavy rain, so not by, soft music and dance. Phew glad that's sorted then.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Our mission at the Interior Ministry is clear: to alleviate suffering and promote happiness. Your efforts bring smiles, create happiness for the people, and build their trust in you," he concluded.

Stealing some of Lung Too's lines?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He stated that the Ministry of Interior has been closely monitoring the situation and receiving continuous updates. During yesterday's visit, Mr. Anutin emphasized the importance of coordinating the work plan in these areas to ensure mutual understanding

Useless man. person

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Anutin also noted that the floods have already passed through many provinces,

With all the flood water soon to reach Bangkok?

How many of you remember the Bangkok floods in 2011?

1,475 Bangkok Flood 2011 Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free ...

Worst Flooding in Decades Swamps Thailand - The Atlantic

25 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With all the flood water soon to reach Bangkok?

How many of you remember the Bangkok floods in 2011?

1,475 Bangkok Flood 2011 Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free ...

Worst Flooding in Decades Swamps Thailand - The Atlantic

Yeah, we got flooded-in to our condo in Bang Kadi (with no power) for several months.

Saved by the local bike-taxi guys providing service by boat and Madam acquiring a little genset which lived (totally against the rules) on our condo balcony. The only complaint was from the mad-woman next door, she was silenced by using an extension cord!

Unfortunately, we were too far along with our house construction to raise the ground floor level. Worst flooding at the house was in 2022 when we came within an ace of having water in the house.

EDIT My thread from 2022 https://aseannow.com/topic/1270695-the-bangkok-river-level-thread-2022-please-post-your-river-level-photos/ the 2024 thread will be "coming soon".

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Sounds sinister.

On occasion I really could have used the sand-filled sock, but we just passed the extension between balconies so she could run a couple of lights and her TV :whistling: 

She had an annoying yappy dog (now deceased) and never offered us a brass farthing for generator fuel 😞 

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we got flooded-in to our condo in Bang Kadi (with no power) for several months.

Saved by the local bike-taxi guys providing service by boat and Madam acquiring a little genset which lived (totally against the rules) on our condo balcony. The only complaint was from the mad-woman next door, she was silenced by using an extension cord!

Unfortunately, we were too far along with our house construction to raise the ground floor level. Worst flooding at the house was in 2022 when we came within an ace of having water in the house.

Thanks for replying - it must have been a nightmare for you.

I was living up north in Lanna during 2011 and I witnessed the massive flows of water off the mountains. In many places the force of the floods washed away many concrete bridges on the major roads causing headache diversions! Where I lived, the water flowed south, eventually to Bangkok.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks for replying - it must have been a nightmare for you.

I was living up north in Lanna during 2011 and I witnessed the massive flows of water off the mountains. In many places the force of the floods washed away many concrete bridges on the major roads causing headache diversions! Where I lived, the water flowed south, eventually to Bangkok.

Once we got sorted we were fine, boat to the main road then bus or army truck to the shopping. The highlights were one morning Madam going down to reception (not flooded) to observe the security guy waving his arms at a crocodile which was enjoying the dry area (sadly, no photos). The other highlight was the capture of a drum which floated past, it was half-full of diesel (sadly, our genset was gasoline).

Thais are pretty useless at planning, they are incredibly good at coping!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Unbelievable - 2011 again?

One really hopes not.

Fear not, the "Bangkok River Level 2024" thread will be started as soon as there's something useful to report.

I fear that will be sooner rather than later 😞  

• Thanks 1