Where Do You Book Your Flights?

33 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Why?  I've been using a mixture of agents/airlines for 22 years, never really had a problem and I rarely need to change my dates.  What I have saved over the years far outweighs any potential problems.

What really annoys me though, is if the airlines can offer agents discount prices, why not offer the same to their frequent flyer members? Its not difficult for an airlines to identify those people.

He has a thread whinging about an increase in cost as he changed dates to a more expensive flight.

is rather amusing !

On 9/13/2024 at 9:36 PM, Chivas said:
On 9/3/2024 at 6:33 AM, mdr224 said:

Directly with the airline only. These middlemen websites provide no support when things go wrong

Completely wrong as I have said more than a few times

My preferred agent Travel Trolley bends over backwards to assist me if I have the slightest issue

As for getting help when I booked direct from Eva Etihad or as recently as last March China Eastern the less said the better, Never ever book direct if only for the reason 98% of the time it will be more expensive anyway

Twice this current year alone TT contacted me within 45 minutes by Email answering my queries

Book with agent and you also have a two pronged attack by getting hold of both agent and the airline

And no another utter internet myth that if you book with an agent the airline wont deal with you...utter utter bollacks

This just shows how our mileage varies and one persons 'utter bollacks' is anothers true story.... 

I rarely find flights cheaper through consolidators or online agents than I do when booking directly through the airline...   when its cheaper through the agent, there is always some catch, like a longer layover, less baggage etc... when the produce is identical the price saving with the consolidator (or agent) compared to direct is minimal.

And as for the final comment above - dealing with the Airlines can easier as they have to follow regulations - though I've had problems with airlines too, dealing with agents has proven troublesome.

- When I paid about £2000 for a ticket through an agent (which did offer a decent cost saving than the airline), the flight was later cancelled - I filed for a refund and the Agent said to deal with the airline, airline said to deal with the agent.

Agent offered a refund but only 70% of the cost as they had their fees to cover. 

End of conversation, I contacted ABTA...   The response from the travel agent was that they were waiting for a refund from the airline... It took 5 months, but I did get my full refund.

IMO - as soon as there is a problem and money is owed - Neither the Airline or Travel agents are particularly helpful at giving you back what is rightfully yours or resolving the situation to your satisfaction. 

The best I've had is Emirates, who paid compensation for delays of over a day (2x £520) and they paid up within a month...  Turkish were awkward and I had to go through ADR, it took them months to pay the €600 months after initially rejecting the claim (bumped off a flight and delayed 24 hrs - stuck in IST).

• Thanks 1