Any real men in this generation

28 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

You've obviously led a very sheltered life and never experienced any serious danger firsthand. But learning a martial art isn’t just about expecting violence — it’s about building confidence, and being prepared for situations we all hope will never happen. It’s like learning first aid: you may never need it, but if you do, you’ll be glad you took the time to learn about it.

A bit like insurance, except they don't pay out 9 times out 10.

But I find most people who aren't keen on learning to defend themselves either have had no "experience" with danger or a ignorant of their surroundings and just lucky .

Recently I was walking at 3am in Australia when I'm always very "situationlly aware " of my surroundings,up ahead I saw 4 guys walking towards me ,shirts off ,skylarking ,looked drunk so I crossed the road 

But the young  indian guy in front of me didn't cross ,yapping on his phone,phone stuck to his ear,  he walked right into them !

Completely oblivious,   they spat on him ,he kept walking still yapping on his phone ,I could hear him from the opposite side of the street completely unaware of his surroundings 

Until something happens to these people they are oblivious to danger 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

You've obviously led a very sheltered life and never experienced any serious danger firsthand. But learning a martial art isn’t just about expecting violence — it’s about building confidence, and being prepared for situations we all hope will never happen. It’s like learning first aid: you may never need it, but if you do, you’ll be glad you took the time to learn about it.

No, I wouldn't say a sheltered life, I'm quite adventurous and have changed my environment several times and have worked in several European countries and changed professions 3 times, I learned to speak German fluently and learned to speak Bavarian through a romantic affair with a German bar girl and now here I am since 20 years in an Isaan farming village. I've never suffered violence of a physical nature, that isn't to say that I haven't encountered dangerous situations, a threatened mugging in Switzerland (he got nothing) and a threatened stabbing in Turkey by a group of youths but I was always able to deescalate situations by talking calmly, that was difficult in Turkey as my intestines felt as if they had turned to water but bravado with a little humour has always helped me get out of situations unscathed, using martial arts in Turkey would have got me stabbed. In Belgium I was picked up by some workmen in a lorry who started asking pointed questions about having to have a lot of money to travel around Europe (I had a stack of DM in my pocket) I could sense where this was heading and convinced them I had to work my way otherwise I would be taking the train, they threw me out after 1 km. when lying it's important to act relaxed and naive, never had to use violence and as a skinny 21 year old I would have come out worse. It's a case of using your brains and listening to your instincts.

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

That's an interesting perspective, given that far more innocent people were murdered in Europe in the last century than in the United States. Are you not familiar with the Holocaust, Stalin's purges and forced famines, the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans in the 1990s, and the Armenian genocide?

Of course, all before my time, I'm referring to normal everyday living, like not getting shot by cops or having your children murdered in school, things like that.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:15 PM, soalbundy said:

Of course, all before my time, I'm referring to normal everyday living, like not getting shot by cops or having your children murdered in school, things like that.

Now you can get mugged by illegals in Europe instead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IsaanExpat said:

The last real man died in 1979. Rest in Peace Duke🫡

I hope you realise that was acting. He only pretended to be going in harm's way.

I'm not really criticizing him as someone had to convince the cannon fodder to volunteer. I liked him personally and I have most of his movies on DVD, including those awful early westerns. He got better with age, and of course his best movie had to be True Grit. It had a great credits song by Glen Campbell, who also acted in it. I liked Darby too, and it's a shame she vanished in the 70s.

I just realised that Wayne was younger than I when he died. I always thought he was older than his age.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you realise that was acting. He only pretended to be going in harm's way.

I'm not really criticizing him as someone had to convince the cannon fodder to volunteer. I liked him personally and I have most of his movies on DVD, including those awful early westerns. He got better with age, and of course his best movie had to be True Grit. It had a great credits song by Glen Campbell, who also acted in it. I liked Darby too, and it's a shame she vanished in the 70s.

I just realised that Wayne was younger than I when he died. I always thought he was older than his age.

Yes, I'm aware. My post was rather tongue in cheek to the topic at hand. I loved him in True Grit, Rooster Cogburn and the Old Lady, The Green Berets, The Quiet Man with Maureen O'Hare, Rio Bravo because Dino was in it, and in my opinion The Shootist was his best work as an Actor....just opinions of course😅

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2024 at 5:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:
On 9/3/2024 at 5:39 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, totally agree. 

There was a thread today, Wokey foreigners complained about food stalls on Soi LK, sadly they have been removed. 

Look around, food stalls everywhere, always been, but Wokey left foreigners moaning. 

Oh it's pathetic , I bet it was Ralfy or that Laccesist poster complaining  !

Nope, it was the foreign bar owner, Kingkong bar, they wanted the food stalls removed so that they could install illegal, encroachment platforms on the roadway. 

The food stalls were in the way of their illegally built platforms. 

IMG_20240910_051418.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST