Assisted Dying Debate Gains Momentum as MP Wins Ballot for Private Member’s Bill

Social Media

image.png

The push to legalize assisted dying in England and Wales has taken a significant step forward after Labour MP Jake Richards won a ballot allowing him to introduce a Private Member’s Bill. Richards, representing Rother Valley, has expressed his determination to reform what he describes as "archaic" laws surrounding assisted dying, a practice currently considered a criminal offense in the region.

Though Richards did not secure a top seven spot in the ballot—which would have guaranteed him a full day’s debate—he was drawn in 11th position. This placement likely ensures that he will have the opportunity to present his Bill to the Commons during a Friday sitting, bringing the contentious issue of assisted dying closer to parliamentary discussion.

Assisting someone to end their life remains illegal in England and Wales, but there is growing support for reform. Richards has aligned himself with organizations like Dignity in Dying, advocating for changes that would allow terminally ill individuals to make autonomous decisions about their death. "The time has come," Richards tweeted, signaling his commitment to the cause.

This renewed push for legislative change comes as the topic of assisted dying gains attention both in the UK and internationally. Lord Falconer, a former Labour justice secretary, has introduced the Assisted Dying for Terminally Ill Adults Bill in the House of Lords, with a debate expected in mid-November. Health Secretary Wes Streeting has also acknowledged the need for debate on the issue, although he remains undecided on the matter.

Not everyone supports the proposed changes. Ross Hendry, chief executive of Christian Action, Research and Education, voiced strong opposition, arguing that what he calls "assisted suicide" undermines human dignity and could put vulnerable individuals at greater risk. Hendry emphasized the importance of investing in high-quality palliative care and enhancing suicide prevention efforts. "UK politicians should ensure that investment and infrastructure are in place to ensure high-quality palliative care for all people," Hendry stated, pointing to what he sees as a chronic underfunding of this aspect of healthcare.

On the other side of the debate, Nathan Stilwell from the campaign group My Death, My Decision, argued that Richards' proposed Bill represents "the first step in changing the law to give adults a compassionate and dignified choice at the end of their lives." This sentiment reflects a broader movement toward legalizing assisted dying, particularly in light of public figures like television presenter Dame Esther Rantzen, who recently revealed her decision to join Dignitas following her cancer diagnosis.

The outcome of the ballot was heavily skewed in favor of Labour, with the party securing 15 out of the 20 available spots for Private Member’s Bills. This leaves the Conservative Party without any representatives in the top positions, a fact that could influence the direction of upcoming debates. Among the first seven MPs to secure a place in the ballot were Labour’s former shadow defense secretary Clive Lewis and Traditional Unionist Voice MP Jim Allister.

As the successful MPs prepare to present their Bills to the Commons on October 16, the debate over assisted dying is set to intensify. Richards’ efforts to bring this issue to the forefront could mark a pivotal moment in the ongoing discussion about how society views and legislates the right to die.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-07

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Many people in palliative care are still suffering and have a horrible mental state and physical condition. Some people have it in them to fight until the end, but others don’t want to fight and be miserable in the end. It should be each person’s choice. If they think making the palliative care better than it is, great for those who choose to fight an unbeatable battle, but please don’t try to sugarcoat it to the ones who are miserable and don’t have any more fight in them. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Perhaps by serendipity, this article appears with an advertisement for real estate.

Not that I expect an algorithm might have put together ‘assisted dying’ with ‘property and real estate’, but it might be something worth considering when framing the debate.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Lokie said:

We had 8 weeks of watching my ol mum suffer worse than a dog before her light went out - Disgraceful. Wracked with dementia, to the point of could not function at all. Nurse kept apologising their hands are tied...

Luckily for the royal family, Her Majesty was afforded different care - As my sister said, watch this HM will not have to wait in purgatory to go, as soon as the family get up to Balmoral, they will give her the assistance required to go.

Sure enough HM passed shortly after family arrived, as the case with her father BTW.

In clear cut cases allow people to have a pain free, death. With Respect to HM, & my dear old mum who deserved better...

My grandmother died very shortly after my Dad arrived at the hospice. As did my grandfather previously. Doesn't mean my Dad did anything to assist them.

It's amazing what dying people can do. I've seen people hang on for family many times, against all odds. I've also seen those with no hope of a family visit will themselves to death. A mate of mine traveled from Bangkok to London to see his dying Mum after a call to tell him to hurry. His Mum hung on and died 10 minutes after he'd arrived, with him by her side.

Assisted dying is a worthy subject to be debated. It will need to be heavily monitored with the DoLs system and Mental Health Capacity act needing updating.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My son had brain cancer.

I watched him die over a period of two and a half years. Not nice.

The last nine months - in a hospice.

The care there was excellent, but he was a vegetable. He could do nothing for himself and could not communicate.

He was not able to make a decision. His wife was the one who wanted him to stay alive as long a possible.

Her decision (she was an ex nurse) and I respected that decision.

That will not be how I go.

I have a living will and I have told the hospital here that no one will pay the bill if they keep me alive.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am absolutely for this in principle, but safeguards are needed so it does not become a way of saving on winter heating payments.

I have read allegations that in one EU country it has become a way of freeing up beds.

3 hours ago, Lokie said:

Luckily for the royal family, Her Majesty was afforded different care - As my sister said, watch this HM will not have to wait in purgatory to go, as soon as the family get up to Balmoral, they will give her the assistance required to go.

Edward VII was given a morphine overdose apparently so that he would die in time for the news to make the next days edition of The Times, but the body shuts down in a fairly predictable hierarchical way that allows reasonable timing of calls to the family to attend.

Edited by mokwit

12 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Edward VII was given a morphine overdose apparently so that he would die in time for the news to make the next days edition of The Times, but the body shuts down in a fairly predictable hierarchical way that allows reasonable timing of calls to the family to attend.

You appear confused about your monarchs.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

My Grandfather died of stomach cancer at home 70 years ago, the doctor would make daily visits to give him morphine, eventually my grandmother begged the doctor to help him on his way, he said he wasn't allowed to do that but he could increase the morphine dose to ease the pain, an hour later my grandfather was dead, so the doctor had let his humanity rule over laws in the end.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I am absolutely for this in principle, but safeguards are needed so it does not become a way of saving on winter heating payments.

I have read allegations that in one EU country it has become a way of freeing up beds.

Vague statement, please clarify.

• Like 1