Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

e.g. Foreigners will leave . Foreigners will spend less than 180 days in Thailand resulting in spending less . Foreigners who stay will bring less money to Thailand . Foreigners who stay will make budget cuts and spend less money in Thailand, which will impact VAT tax revenues for the government . Foreigners will try and avoid it through various methods

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think Thailand is so desperate for money that they'll do it and hope for the best, even if lots of reports suggest overall tax take will be reduced.

3 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

I think Thailand is so desperate for money that they'll do it and hope for the best, even if lots of reports suggest overall tax take will be reduced.

Yes, governments with wrongheaded ideas have a way of doubling down on those ideas. We see it all over the world. 

16 hours ago, Ricohoc said:

This reference to "living expenses" is something I have never seen before in these discussions. That is in the current tax law?

That's the only reason I bring any funds into Thailand every month, and almost 100% of it is food, utilities, auto fuel, home maintenance. No rent, no loans of any kind to pay off, etc. Debt free.

There will probably be a flood of first hand info once people start filing around Feb/Mar.