Why is Trump Really Running for Office Again?

RSD1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Trump will be sentenced in the New York criminal trial (for election interference and miss appropriation of election funds) in late November, a few weeks after the election. The sentencing was just postponed by the judge from a date of later this month to avoid being accused of being politically motivated. 

The scuttlebutt is that if the sentencing is only going to be a fine and probation then there was no reason to delay it. Therefore, it is believed that Trump will be sentenced with some form of confinement in late November, regardless of the election outcome and prior to the January 2025 inauguration. 

Yes. As a nonpartisan, the only thing the judge is concerned about is that the case does not interfere with the election. 

• Confused 2

Just now, RSD1 said:

Huge roll. It caused massive supply chain shortages resulting in demand outweighing supply around the world and causing a massive global inflation spike. 

So nothing to do with the flood of money, got it. 

And why is it still 50% over target? Still COVID?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

IMO the key reason for Merchan to delay sentencing, was to deny Trump the influx of campaign funding he would have got with a jail sentence.

If Trump got sentenced now, it would be automatically appealed, and he would stay out of jail on bail pending the appeal.

Merchan is a smart jurist. He has taken away some of Trump's oxygen,

Yeah, all he cares about is doing as much damage to Trump as possible. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Marginally. 

According to the Fed's initial projections, they weren't expecting inflation to return to 2% until 2026. It's now at just slightly above the 2% target and will hit the target much sooner than the anticipated 2026 date.

As a result, the Fed will start cutting interest rates this month, a clear sign that they have won the battle against inflation.

Interest rates are now expected to fall from where they are now at 5.25% down to 3.25% by the end of 2025. This will provide a huge boost to the economy in terms of mortgages and home sales as well as new car loans.

150% of target is a little bit over? 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Inflation fell from 9% to 2.7% where it is now. So it has already fallen by 70% in just 2 years.

The 2% inflation target is slated for 2026, but it will likely meet that by early next year. So it is not 150% above target because the target includes a date, not just a figure. 

You are trying to falsely manipulate inflation data and create hyperbole to suit your own wishful narrative and/or you simply have an issue with absorption, understanding and interpretation of financial information. 

How am I "...trying to falsely manipulate inflation data and create hyperbole..."?

The target is 2%, and it's at 2.9% today, yes

So, it 145% of target, is that correct or not? 

It seems to me that claiming 2.9% is "...just slightly above the 2% target..." is falsely manipulating inflation data to create hyperbole. 

"The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) judges that inflation of 2 percent over the longer run, as measured by the annual change in the price index for personal consumption expenditures, is most consistent with the Federal Reserve's mandate for maximum employment and price stability. "

Federal Reserve Board - Monetary Policy

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

So nothing to do with the flood of money, got it. 

And why is it still 50% over target? Still COVID?

How about there are multiple reasons. Supply chain issues etc etc,  Trump massive spending in covid relief, Biden a contributing factor by spending too much when it could be argued it looked the economy needed help post covid.  

In terms of why it is still high - the reason inflation is reviled is its hard to stop once it starts without killing the economy. After spending a bit much as a contributing factor I think Biden has done well. 

I could talk about Trump's policies - tariffs - his and associates comments about potentially having more control over interest rate policy - and the likely effect on future inflation - but been there done that. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

How about there are multiple reasons. Supply chain issues etc etc,  Trump massive spending in covid relief, Biden a contributing factor by spending too much when it could be argued it looked the economy needed help post covid.  

In terms of why it is still high - the reason inflation is reviled is its hard to stop once it starts without killing the economy. After spending a bit much as a contributing factor I think Biden has done well. 

I could talk about Trump's policies - tariffs - his and associates comments about potentially having more control over interest rate policy - and the likely effect on future inflation - but been there done that. 

This is what I said: "COVID played no roll in inflation. The response to COVID may have played a roll, primarily the spending. "

Trump's massive covid relief spending, that I believe continued under Biden. Then the Infrastructure bill and then the "inflation reduction act" which was anything but. 

Do you think raising corporate taxes will increase of decrease prices? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I continue to marvel at the ability of some posters to deflect off the topic thread. What does COVID relief, infrastructure, corporate taxes etc. etc. have to do with the reason Trump is running?

is this you?

wr0ngisright.png.8d7326935157d0ff07f7d3b23bc3901e.png

39 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

This is what I said: "COVID played no roll in inflation. The response to COVID may have played a roll, primarily the spending. "

Trump's massive covid relief spending, that I believe continued under Biden. Then the Infrastructure bill and then the "inflation reduction act" which was anything but. 

Do you think raising corporate taxes will increase of decrease prices? 

As others point out and I note those supply side issues etc came directly from covid. 

Letting parts of the Trump tax cuts expire for individuals  - and removing loopholes - can mean  high wealth individuals pay a fairer PERCENTAGE of tax. This could dampen inflation due to decreased demand.

Increases to corporate rates may or may not affect inflation - it could dampen the economy a bit - if sellers of goods and services attempt to pass the burden to consumers it could increase prices but the market will sort that out. 

There are many benefits of course of higher taxes in the government coffers - to pay down debt and provide services most need and expect -  that in my opinion still wouldn't be that high to dampen industriousness or investment. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

As others point out and I note those supply side issues etc came directly from covid. 

Again, nothing came directly from COVID. It was the response to COVID. 

Letting parts of the Trump tax cuts expire for individuals  - and removing loopholes - can mean  high wealth individuals pay a fairer PERCENTAGE of tax. This could dampen inflation due to decreased demand.

What is a fairer percentage? 

So how much will you have to "tax the rich" to where they buy less milk, bread, eggs and gasoline? 

Increases to corporate rates may or may not affect inflation - it could dampen the economy a bit - if sellers of goods and services attempt to pass the burden to consumers it could increase prices but the market will sort that out. 

There are many benefits of course of higher taxes in the government coffers - to pay down debt and provide services most need and expect -  that in my opinion still wouldn't be that high to dampen industriousness or investment. 

Really? Do you think the corporations are going to just take the hit and not pass the cost on to consumers? 

You seem like one of the few honest brokers here. Re-read what you posted and think about it.

Pay down the debt, that's hilarious.  And why do you assume tax revenues will go up with the increased rates? Do you really think that the lawyers working for the IRS are smarted than the lawyers working for the Fortune 500?

The Trump tax cuts benefited about 95% of taxpayers, and after the Trump tax cuts, tax revenue went up. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Again, nothing came directly from COVID. It was the response to COVID. 

What is a fairer percentage? 

So how much will you have to "tax the rich" to where they buy less milk, bread, eggs and gasoline? 

Really? Do you think the corporations are going to just take the hit and not pass the cost on to consumers? 

You seem like one of the few honest brokers here. Re-read what you posted and think about it.

Pay down the debt, that's hilarious.  And why do you assume tax revenues will go up with the increased rates? Do you really think that the lawyers working for the IRS are smarted than the lawyers working for the Fortune 500?

The Trump tax cuts benefited about 95% of taxpayers, and after the Trump tax cuts, tax revenue went up. 

I don't get your first point that you have said a few times. I mean the virus itself did not cause inflation but the effects came direct from covid. 

I do not profess to be able to pick the sweet spot of a tax increase. I imagine you are the same. Trump has reduced it to 21 and now wants to go to 15. That's a massive drop from 35 in 2016. You may be a fervent advocate for trickle down economics where low taxes benefit the rich and it flows to all but - while high taxes can be a huge drag - studies show many times that it often doesn't trickle far from the rich.

Lowering taxes in Kansas  is one example where reducing taxes did not lead to good outcomes for the community as expected. This was a big deal at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment

Your argument that taxes should not be raised because prices will go up is a bit tenuous as noted and there are of course many benefits. 

You are right that it is hard to get ahead of the tax loophole experts. You can say it's all too hard or look to get a smart well trained tax office. Pay well for well trained experts. I recall Trump  gutting the tax office and he appears to have further plans to upend the public service. If he is linked to Project 2025 - which he denies - then they want to make high level government workers to pledge allegiance to the leader - forget experts they want Trump toadies. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

Yeah, sucks real bad.

Donald Trump reported making more than $1.6 billion in outside revenue and income during his four years as President of the United States, according to a review of his financial disclosures by CREW. While Trump publicly took credit for donating his taxpayer-funded salary, that ended up being less than 0.1% of the revenue and income he disclosed during his presidency. Far from being a sacrifice, the donation was merely a fig leaf to cover up four years of brazen corruption.

Congrats. Your partisanship descended to bald faced lies. Show the corruption then.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Off-topic whataboutism. But hey, wanna buy a bible? How about a pair of the fugliest sneakers? Or maybe you want to donate to my legal expenses, I mean to my presidential campaign? Or maybe a worthless NFT or trading card of me pretending to be Superman? Or how about a sliver of my suit that I wore during the Biden debate? I’ll even send you the crotch part! Ive also got some classified documents for sale. And I’ve also invented some really good orange face point that makes you look like a raccoon. Want to invest in the startup? Hey, I know I’m a convicted federal criminal felon and all that, but never mind that part, you can trust me right? It’s all good isn’t it? Cause let’s grab em in the p***y and make America grotesque again! Covfefe 2024!

So  you dont deny that the Clintons and Obamas and Bidens got rich off of politics.

Love that Clinton foundation. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1