Do You Believe: Next year, and the next, will be HOTTER than 2024?

52 minutes ago, Purdey said:

That is the average global surface temperature. I hope you understand that the average means peaks and dips go outside that main line. 

Perhaps you understand why governments are concerned about this and set a target of  the average temperature rising not more than 1.5 Celsius? Seems small?

If they actually think they can arbitrarily mandate a number they can enforce they are as dumb as Canute.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That and independence of grid and govt.  Performance was even a bigger plus than I expected.  

Planet is fine, been here for quite some time, and will be here quite a while longer after the parasites self destruct.  A couple degrees over the next few 100 years will be the least of their concerns.

It's immaterial to your generation and mine, because we will be gone.

By 2050, the flow of water from the Tibetan Plateau to the Mekong, Ganges and Brahmaputra will be halved. That's assuming the Chinese don't build any more dams in Tibet. They have more than one thousand dams there already.

1 billion people in Asia depend on that water for growing food. It will make current economic migrations look petty in comparison.

In human history, how many wars do you think have been fought over water?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, retarius said:

This climate stuff is baloney. What's happening is that the sun is moving closer to the earth year by year. Every so often it tries to fool us by moving back to make it colder for a few months. 

Thank you. #9 in my stupid post competition.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's immaterial to your generation and mine, because we will be gone.

By 2050, the flow of water from the Tibetan Plateau to the Mekong, Ganges and Brahmaputra will be halved. That's assuming the Chinese don't build any more dams in Tibet. They have more than one thousand dams there already.

1 billion people in Asia depend on that water for growing food. It will make current economic migrations look petty in comparison.

In human history, how many wars do you think have been fought over water?

You can add that to all the other predictions that never came true.  I've lived through enough of them, and seems every 5 or 10 years, some other doom & gloom predictions is forecasts, and passed without happening.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If I were to run a large dehumidifier in my house without AC,,,the temperature would rise through the roof.

I need something that will remove about 4 liters of water per hour.

Where do you think the HEAT goes from a dehumidifier?

HeatPumps are more efficient, anyway, because you get two benefits, and not just one.

A dehumidifier might be good for Alaska in the winter.

But then, you do not need it because indoor heating lowers the humidity almost completely.

I dunno.

Why not just using one in your basement.

My dehumidifier gets no more than mildly warm, and does a great job of removing water. You could have more than one too. I hardly ever used the AC in my C M hotel room, and only during the day. Fan was enough at night.

Here I don't have a basement. Don't have central heating either. NZ didn't even have mandatory insulation for new houses till 1977.  My house was built in the 50s and had no insulation added during building, If we were rich we had electric blankets, and if poor we had an extra blanket. The bathroom was the same temperature as outside- plastic toilet seats are cruel. Heating was an open fire, and once that went out no heating at all in an uninsulated house.

Even now, my room is uninsulated and the bathroom is unheated and the toilet seat is plastic. Nothing much changed for me, apparently.

But then, you do not need it because indoor heating lowers the humidity almost completely.

Rubbish. I have a heater which works well, even in an uninsulated room- at 18 degrees and 15 while sleeping ( the Antarctic base I worked at was always at 15 degrees, so good enough for me. My crying windows say there is massive humidity. I can't run the dehumidifier at night because it's too noisy to sleep. Interestingly, the Antarctic air is so dry ( the water gets frozen out of it ) that we had to add water to it in the sleeping huts.

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You can add that to all the other predictions that never came true.  I've lived through enough of them, and seems every 5 or 10 years, some other doom & gloom predictions is forecasts, and passed without happening.

Exactly, like the prediction that we'd be in an ice age by now, as promulgated in the 70s.

Just now, KhunLA said:

The Larsen Ice shelf's most dramatic collapse happened in 2002. The Brunt Ice shelf breakup is happening now. That's in Antarctica.

In the Arctic, Greenland has been shedding 270 billion metric tons per year since 2002. These are not predictions, they are fact.

https://science.nasa.gov/resource/video-greenland-ice-mass-loss-2002-2023/

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Larsen Ice shelf's most dramatic collapse happened in 2002. The Brunt Ice shelf breakup is happening now. That's in Antarctica.

In the Arctic, Greenland has been shedding 270 billion metric tons per year since 2002. These are not predictions, they are fact.

https://science.nasa.gov/resource/video-greenland-ice-mass-loss-2002-2023/

Ying & yang ....

... a bit more for link

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you really think this HOT SEASON was cooler than the Hot Season of 2023?  My neighbors do say otherwise.  Still, at the moment in CM, it IS unseasonably COOL.

My solar panels say it's wetter and cloudier.

My air con bill says it's cooler.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Understood. Your single data point on the entire planet proves global warming and climate change are imaginary.

#10 for my stupid post competition.

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

When Hannibal crossed the alps the mountains were snow free. People have always adapted to climate, they even live in the Amazon jungle and lived during the ice ages. Harvests will change although man's ingenuity knows no bounds, there are now flood resistent and heat resistent rice strains 

It is the occurrence of extreme values in terms fo temperature that will cause problems with rice production.  This will lead to failure of flowering, and for those that do set seed, abortion of these growing seed embryoes.  Impacts will be massive, unfortunately.

Temperature like all other weather variables does NOT follow Normal Distributions, but rather Extreme Value Distributions.  This is a source of much horror.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My dehumidifier gets no more than mildly warm, and does a great job of removing water. You could have more than one too. I hardly ever used the AC in my C M hotel room, and only during the day. Fan was enough at night.

Here I don't have a basement. Don't have central heating either. NZ didn't even have mandatory insulation for new houses till 1977.  My house was built in the 50s and had no insulation added during building, If we were rich we had electric blankets, and if poor we had an extra blanket. The bathroom was the same temperature as outside- plastic toilet seats are cruel. Heating was an open fire, and once that went out no heating at all in an uninsulated house.

Even now, my room is uninsulated and the bathroom is unheated and the toilet seat is plastic. Nothing much changed for me, apparently.

Rubbish. I have a heater which works well, even in an uninsulated room- at 18 degrees and 15 while sleeping ( the Antarctic base I worked at was always at 15 degrees, so good enough for me. My crying windows say there is massive humidity. I can't run the dehumidifier at night because it's too noisy to sleep. Interestingly, the Antarctic air is so dry ( the water gets frozen out of it ) that we had to add water to it in the sleeping huts.

Please brush up on your Physics before you cry rubbish.

If you take a gas with known humidity, and then heat it, the relative humidity will quickly drop....by a LOT when the air temp outside is 50 below zero.

When is the last time you had a uni Physics course?

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2024 is going to be the hottest year on record....

So, I do not are what your panels tell you, nor your tea leaves.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

That is the average global surface temperature. I hope you understand that the average means peaks and dips go outside that main line. 

Perhaps you understand why governments are concerned about this and set a target of  the average temperature rising not more than 1.5 Celsius? Seems small?

He does not know about such things, and cares not to.

This is the beauty of being so old that you no longer need care about Global Tipping Points, and increased famine, and falling food/crop production, and other minor issues...

On 9/8/2024 at 5:17 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Do You Believe: Next year, and the next, will be HOTTER than 2024?

I believe the sun will do as it pleases and there’s absolutely nothing that any living creature on this planet can do anything about it, believe it or not.

Edited by novacova

39 minutes ago, novacova said:

I believe the sun will do as it pleases and there’s absolutely nothing that any living creature on this planet can do anything about it, believe it or not.

Get some Ray-Bans....

Maybe...

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Mine states the same ... and saved me a few baht to buy popcorn to watch the snowflakes melt .... popcorn.gif :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Repeating your link isn't going to help.   If you read my links, already acknowledged the artic / north ice is receding ...

.... and ?

Guess you didn't bother with my links.  Typical discussion with you, one sided, and closed at that.

Have a nice day.

It's called "weather"....

It was around when we were kids and 1,000 years before that.

They compare today's temperatures to when?  The start of when actual temperatures were being recorded??!!   What about the world temperatures prior to then?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, MarkBR said:

It is the occurrence of extreme values in terms fo temperature that will cause problems with rice production.  This will lead to failure of flowering, and for those that do set seed, abortion of these growing seed embryoes.  Impacts will be massive, unfortunately.

Temperature like all other weather variables does NOT follow Normal Distributions, but rather Extreme Value Distributions.  This is a source of much horror.

Yes.

True.

And, trying to argue with those who are unable to accept the valid data is like talking to Trump.

Sometimes the data we collect is threatening to our beliefs about our world.

When this happens, it's sometimes easier to cast out the data.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Repeating your link isn't going to help.   If you read my links, already acknowledged the artic / north ice is receding ...

.... and ?

Guess you didn't bother with my links.  Typical discussion with you, one sided, and closed at that.

Have a nice day.

When you posted yin and yang - a bit more for link.  I thought you meant my second link would not open, which is why I posted the link again in its complete form.

When I tried to open your link according to the above post, it would not.

Do you often jump to conclusions, and make unwarranted attacks on people?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

It's called "weather"....

It was around when we were kids and 1,000 years before that.

They compare today's temperatures to when?  The start of when actual temperatures were being recorded??!!   What about the world temperatures prior to then?

The furthest back we've been able to look at Earth's weather and climate is currently about 2.7 million years. How? Using ice cores

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, retarius said:

This climate stuff is baloney. What's happening is that the sun is moving closer to the earth year by year. Every so often it tries to fool us by moving back to make it colder for a few months. 

The Sun moving closer huh?! You know the Earth doesn't have the mass to do such a thing... heck even if you put everything in the Solar System (Jupiter, Saturn and every other planet, asteroid and comet) the Sun outweighs them by 99.86%. So yes every planet, every moon, every asteroid and comet that's in the solar system only account for 0.14% of its mass. Jupiter itself is 0.1% with the rest 0.04%... The more you know...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JGon said:

The Sun moving closer huh?! You know the Earth doesn't have the mass to do such a thing... heck even if you put everything in the Solar System (Jupiter, Saturn and every other planet, asteroid and comet) the Sun outweighs them by 99.86%. So yes every planet, every moon, every asteroid and comet that's in the solar system only account for 0.14% of its mass. Jupiter itself is 0.1% with the rest 0.04%... The more you know...

The opinions of the person you are replying to predate Copernicus.

I sometimes wonder whether we are going backwards, when someone who lived nearly 500 years before is obviously smarter than most of us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

The opinions of the person you are replying to predate Copernicus.

I sometimes wonder whether we are going backwards, when someone who lived nearly 500 years before is obviously smarter than most of us.

You are obviously discounting the known and valid Flynn Effect.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are obviously discounting the known and valid Flynn Effect.

I had to look that up, and I would be discounting it.

Think about it. Copernicus, Galileo and Newton had none of the sophisticated tools we have to measure attributes. They developed their concepts with sheer intellect.

Hipparchus developed latitude and longitude before Christ was born.

I should bloody well think we should be getting.smarter. We don't seem to be able to do it in politics.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I had to look that up, and I would be discounting it.

Think about it. Copernicus, Galileo and Newton had none of the sophisticated tools we have to measure attributes. They developed their concepts with sheer intellect.

Hipparchus developed latitude and longitude before Christ was born.

I should bloody well think we should be getting.smarter. We don't seem to be able to do it in politics.

Those guys are exceptions. Only one in a million are super smart. Most people are muppets.