Koh Samui Weather Oct/nov

I have friends who would like to visit Koh Samui for 2 weeks but the only time they could be there is the last week of October and first week of November.They are a couple with a 9yr old child and they would like to know more about the weather they could expect at that time, for how long does it rain? is it windy? they don't want to be confined indoors for several hours per day.

I've never visited at that time of year so any assistance much appreciated.

Unfortunately that time is the monsoon season in Samui, and it can rain quite a bit. The drainage is not so good, so you tend to find that the road throught Chaweng gets very flooded. Tesco do a roaring trade in plastic poncho things.

Personally I don't mind too much. If you buy a pair of slip-on sandals then it doesn't matter that you are standing ina foot of water, if you are living by the beach then you are probably wet from swimming anyway.

When it rains it tends to rain a lot, and very hard. If you are the type of person to let this get you down then maybe Samui is not the best place at that time of year.

Unfortunately that time is the monsoon season in Samui, and it can rain quite a bit. The drainage is not so good, so you tend to find that the road throught Chaweng gets very flooded. Tesco do a roaring trade in plastic poncho things.

Personally I don't mind too much. If you buy a pair of slip-on sandals then it doesn't matter that you are standing ina foot of water, if you are living by the beach then you are probably wet from swimming anyway.

When it rains it tends to rain a lot, and very hard. If you are the type of person to let this get you down then maybe Samui is not the best place at that time of year.

I've known it to rain for 1 week straight, all day all night. It

isn't pleasant if you don't like getting wet.

The roads in chewang are like rivers and when driving a

motorbike you can sometimes get drenched even more,

by cars who love to put the pedal to the floor when they

pass you.

I don't really like this season in Samui, so I stock up

on food make the most of UBC. :o

Oh, that was you! Sorry, mistook you for a tourist and put my foot down in my Isuzu!

I don't mind so much, swimming is always fun in the rain. Makes it hard to avoid the potholes on the chaweng lake road though, plenty of times I've seen a moped and rider all but disappear in a hole on that road.

Oh, that was you! Sorry, mistook you for a tourist and put my foot down in my Isuzu!

I don't mind so much, swimming is always fun in the rain. Makes it hard to avoid the potholes on the chaweng lake road though, plenty of times I've seen a moped and rider all but disappear in a hole on that road.

:o:D

Just booked a holiday to Costa Rica next week. The guide books warn that during the rainy season (now) the roads can be very wet and/or flooded, the local drivers erratic, and the state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired. After Samui it sounds like easy driving....

I have friends who would like to visit Koh Samui for 2 weeks but the only time they could be there is the last week of October and first week of November.They are a couple with a 9yr old child and they would like to know more about the weather they could expect at that time, for how long does it rain? is it windy? they don't want to be confined indoors for several hours per day.

I've never visited at that time of year so any assistance much appreciated.

Rainiest two months of the year. It won't just rain a few hours a day but could possibly rain 3 or 4 days non stop. Avoid Chaweng (small cars have disappeared into the black holes that are the potholes of Chaweng beach road). Also frequently have big waves and rip currents on Chaweng and Lamai that time of year. Mae Nam is probably a better bet, if they really have to go then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Normally September gets the late afternoon thundershowers (we are getting one right now, I should probably get off the computer before it gets struck by lightning :o ). BUT, the rains could come early, could come late, might not come at all (we had one year like that a few years past. Drought is a terrible thing when you live on an island). Mid Sept is a crap shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I don't mind too much. If you buy a pair of slip-on sandals then it doesn't matter that you are standing ina  foot of water, if you are living by the beach then you are probably wet from swimming anyway.

That's a bit of a stinker, as I expect to be arriving on Samui about mid-November! :o Having said that, I was aware that it would be mid-monsoon.

I've not experienced a REAL monsoon season before, though - some pretty bad stuff in Hong Kong and Kenya, but not 2 months of drenching.

Does it rain *all* the time, most of the time, or some of the time, but really heavily?

Should I bring an umbrella? :D

Actually, I do have a fairly heavy-duty walking poncho, waterproof trousers and some gaiters. I assume I'd sweat to death if I wore them due to the humidity. Am I right?

No, it could rain a week at a go, usually it's about 3 days. In between the weather is usually alright. Although I remember the November my parents came to visit it rained solid for the entire month. All day, every day. Sometimes it would slow down to a drizzle. Don't bother with the gaiters, one of the givens of the rainy season is that you get wet. Get one of those really big umbrellas, that way you can knock everyone out of your way on the sidewalk :o

No, it could rain a week at a go, usually it's about 3 days. In between the weather is usually alright. Although I remember the November my parents came to visit it rained solid for the entire month. All day, every day. Sometimes it would slow down to a drizzle. Don't bother with the gaiters, one of the givens of the rainy season is that you get wet. Get one of those really big umbrellas, that way you can knock everyone out of your way on the sidewalk :o

Ah, well, I'll be visiting my pal with a diving school on KS, so perhaps I can borrow a wetsuit! :D

BTW, is there much of an ex-pat Christmas on KS?

I too would like to visit a few islands in mid october so any advice appreciated. The info here on monsoons seems a concern so I checked the average rainfall in October for both Samui and Bangkok and it is 9 inches. The rainfall is Bangkok during October is not too bad; usually a brief shower or two a day. So how can it rain all day, every day in Samui and yet still only get the same amount of rain???

Hi Coder,

You never can tell when the monsoon season really starts, but in my memory the last two years were pretty ok, with last year even sunshine into early november.

This year seems to be different, Samui is receiving a lot of rain at this moment and has been receiving it for the last couple of days.

There are sunny days tho as well, inbetween.

:o-_-:D

Ahhh Samui.......

There are sunny days tho as well, inbetween.

See below.......

medium.jpg

Middle part of the whole picture:-

medium.jpg

And then Nathon Pier:-

medium.jpg

But, please watch out for these.

medium.jpg

Welcome to Thailand and enjoy Koh Samui........ :(

Kan Win :D

Kan Win Photos :D

P.S Sorry :wub: , but I had to down size these photos on T.V.Dot.Com since I last posted them. All are on my site above in Red. In large form size :D

Edited by Kan Win

Kan Win, excellent photo gallery...

Where is your avatar pic from?

jose '-)

:wub::o-_-

Thank you Jose. :D

The avatar is from one of my photos. I just down sized it to meet this forum requirements. :(

Have a look at the real photo. :D

large.jpg

Enjoy. :D

Kan Win :D

Limbos - How has it been since Saturday?

Anyone know when the downpours slow down a bit - I'm there last two weeks of November. Made the mistake of looking at a website with climate info on that had completely rubbish info.

Considering flying off to Phuket if its too bad. Anyone have any other reasonable suggestions? I have experienced the evening downpours in July, August or September but I don't like the idea of losing a several full days in a 2 week holiday.

It has been very good since over a week. Nice and warm, sometimes overcast but hardly any rain at all.

Limbos - How has it been since Saturday?

Anyone know when the downpours slow down a bit - I'm there last two weeks of November.  Made the mistake of looking at a website with climate info on that had completely rubbish info.

Considering flying off to Phuket if its too bad.  Anyone have any other reasonable suggestions?  I have experienced the evening downpours in July, August or September but I don't like the idea of losing a several  full days in a 2 week holiday.

Is mid to late december ok on Samui? I know it will be *very* crowded then. I'm going to bring someone on their first Thailand trip this year. Was really thinking Ko Chang for 3 nights or so. I was really more curious about the weather in Samui in Late December. I think I remember reading somewhere the water is a bit rough then?

Is mid to late december ok on Samui? I know it will be *very* crowded then. I'm going to bring someone on their first Thailand trip this year. Was really thinking Ko Chang for 3 nights or so. I was really more curious about the weather in Samui in Late December. I think I remember reading somewhere the water is a bit rough then?

According to the weather sites I've looked at the rain calms down a bit in December but I expect those with first hand experience will be able to give a more accurate view.

Was anyone in Samui the other day when there was 80mm of rain (according the weather online site). Is this amount of rain a downpour in the evening, overnight or is the whole day a wash out?