Motorcycle Accident Chachoengsao: Volunteer Rescuer Stabbed While Assisting Injured Rider

IMG_5398.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Khoasod.

A volunteer rescuer sustained serious injuries after being mistakenly stabbed while attempting to help an injured woman in a motorcycle accident at night. At around 20:30 on September 9, two volunteer rescue workers from the Bang Pakong district in Chachoengsao were having dinner at a roadside eatery when they noticed an unusually long traffic jam. Sensing something was wrong, the pair hopped on their motorcycle to investigate the situation. They soon discovered a big bike that had lost control and crossed the median, resulting in a serious injury to a female rider.

The rescuers quickly approached the scene to assist the woman, adjusting her arms and legs into a normal position to properly assess her injuries and notify the command centre for immediate medical support. However, the woman’s husband and a coworker were displeased with the rescuers' actions, expressing their frustration with inappropriate language and behavior, accusing them of inappropriately touching her sexually. Despite the rescuers explaining that they needed to evaluate the woman’s condition to inform the emergency centre, the husband and coworker were not receptive and became increasingly agitated.

In a dramatic turn of events, the husband and coworker tried to physically attack the rescuers. Luckily, local residents and civil defense volunteers intervened, managing to calm the situation temporarily. The rescuers explained that they were not in uniform because they had been on their way to eat when they stumbled upon the accident. Upon hearing this, the husband and coworker apologised profusely for the misunderstanding, bowing in respect to the rescuers. The rescuers graciously accepted the apology, understanding that alcohol might have been involved.

As the situation seemed to be cooling down, police officers arrived on the scene. However, tensions flared again when six or seven more coworkers of the injured woman appeared, hurling more insults at the rescuers. This escalated the situation, leading to an altercation between the newcomers and the locals who had initially intervened to prevent violence.

Seeing the chaos unfold, one of the rescuers, identified only as Ton, feared that the conflict might lead to more injuries. He rushed forward to stop the fight, but was tragically mistaken for one of the locals involved in the brawl. In the confusion, one of the coworkers pulled out a knife and stabbed Ton four times in the back, piercing his lungs twice.

Ton was rushed to Bang Pakong Hospital in critical condition before being transferred to Phutthasothon Hospital for further treatment. In a positive update on the morning of September 10., hospital staff reported that Ton was out of danger but remains under close observation.

Meanwhile, police are actively investigating the incident and searching for the suspect responsible for the stabbing, who remains at large.

Video of the incident is below.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-10

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Memo to self:Do not stop and help. Either you get blamed for the incident or get attacked.

That is a good point. What to do?

I have stopped to help at the scene of a number of accidents and 'the foreigner is always blamed'.

I was even arrested once - all easily sorted.

I cannot help it, if I see someone in trouble, I will try to help.

It is just who I am. Stupid? Possibly.

• Agree 1