Don’t kill the golden goose! Tax reforms may drive away expats

webfact

5 hours ago, bdenner said:

Those of us that do our annual visa extensions by the book will be looking at what the dodgy visa agents and corrupt IO's will be doing to circumvent this BS.

You must be a lot of fun.... Not.

Geez mate, just get off expats backs, and get on with your own life... Grow up.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, WoodyKenny said:

Oh it's on.. They just killed their future to Build and Buy housing. Gotta be more than 500 homes on the market for sale in Hua Hin area alone.  And to you that feel we don't pay our fair share. In 2022 alone Thailand Tourist brought in 1.2 TRILLION Thai Baht to the GDP.  Let's say you now as we don't contribute. I'm sure the Philippines or Vietnam would love that cash!   With a Failed system you get Greed...

20% of Thailand's GDP is from tourism.. that is a big slice.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NedR69 said:

Less than a month and I'm out.  F this crap and all the snowflakes. If you leave too, start thinking now how to move your money OUT of a Thai bank.  Wise doesn't do that.  Dee money sucks, and many are still waiting for their transfer to process several weeks after initiating the transfer.  WU fee is ok, but their rate sucks.  Swift transfer may be the best option.  Plan now, if you have 800k or more to move out.

It's not just the new tax law, but it will be the last nail in the coffin and I'm not waiting around to find out. Even if it doesn't go thru, I've had it here to the point of deciding to go. 

Insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I see better options that have clean air, safer to drive/travel/live, and equally affordable.

Less than a month, and counting!

How about Remitly, Remedy or XBATH? Are they sending OUT of Thailand? We need to find the best way to do that otherwise it must be SWIFT.

Edited by Captor
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Amen to that, as I am already planning my exit if it gets the nod of approval, e.g. paying tax on income remitted to Thailand from 1 January 2024, ok, granted, can't do much about that so to speak, but now they want to tax me on what I make overseas, NEVER going to happen, it will be time to move one and that will mean just over 1 million baht less revenue to Thailand per year.

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your not a very bright spark are you, try X's that by how many other Xpats are also considering leaving, and how much they contribute to Thailand's economy, obviously you didn't do well in math.

I shouldn't have to say that this would have a major impact, especially for investment in Thailand, anyways, back to your long neck.

Bright enough to read and respond to your original post. I'm not sorry if you're feeling embarrassed, as you should be.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Since 2023 they can see everything and can get all information they need,I think it's called OECD CRS ,Thailand joined last year.

How would they identify YOUR bank accounts in a foreign country?

Bob Smith in Thailand could be any of 10,000 Bob Smith in the UK.

As we have no ID cards in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your government knows already if you have an account here and they know how much money you have there,since 2023 tax offices are connected.If Thailand wants to know how much money you have in your home account they will know.You enter Thailand with passport,you extend with passport,90 day report with passport,etc. .I don't know how many expats are living in Thailand more than 180days but probably a lot.They will need a lot of manpower to check every expat

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

its all linked to your tax id number, its almost impossible to open a bank account without providing one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

You are delusional..what rubbish you are posting.

ok if you say so,google is your friend

111 countries are member already inc. Thailand they exchannge  automaticly informations

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, harryviking said:

How can they even think about taxing people that are not even citizens of Thailand? Will they in that case receive free healthcare like Thais?? Will they receive a Thai passport if they so chose to have one? If the answer is "NO", these people should be fired as they must have smoked something strong lately!  😫😫

They only care that you are tax resident, your nationality is irrelevant.  Tax agreements between your country & Thailand are what is important.

• Agree 1

For US citizens there’s the 1996 US - Thailand Tax Treaty… 

I’m just not seeing how Thailand will side step 91 pages of signed treaty- especially where US pensions and/or savings are concerned. Not gonna’ happen.

(If I knew how to insert that newspaper reading, coffee drinking emoji… It would be right here)

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/Treaty-Thailand-TE-11-26-1996.pdf

4 hours ago, NedR69 said:

Less than a month and I'm out.  F this crap and all the snowflakes. If you leave too, start thinking now how to move your money OUT of a Thai bank.  Wise doesn't do that.  Dee money sucks, and many are still waiting for their transfer to process several weeks after initiating the transfer.  WU fee is ok, but their rate sucks.  Swift transfer may be the best option.  Plan now, if you have 800k or more to move out.

It's not just the new tax law, but it will be the last nail in the coffin and I'm not waiting around to find out. Even if it doesn't go thru, I've had it here to the point of deciding to go. 

Insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I see better options that have clean air, safer to drive/travel/live, and equally affordable.

Less than a month, and counting!

Where to go, any idea?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, RethairedJarhead said:

For US citizens there’s the 1996 US - Thailand Tax Treaty… 

I’m just not seeing how Thailand will side step 91 pages of signed treaty- especially where US pensions and/or savings are concerned. Not gonna’ happen.

(If I knew how to insert that newspaper reading, coffee drinking emoji… It would be right here)

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/Treaty-Thailand-TE-11-26-1996.pdf

You are, I assume, correct.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

The proposal here is worse than in China, expats dont pay tax for the first 5 years in China and can re start that 5 years by leaving for 3 months 

Six-year rule resets after one month outside.

.....away from the PRC on a single trip for more than 30 consecutive days in any of the tax years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"There is speculation on social media that annual stay extensions might soon require income tax clearance in Thailand."

Your kidding right?

Of course it will. The Thai RD may be slow but they're not stupid.

I give it a year at most.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

They only care that you are tax resident, your nationality is irrelevant.  Tax agreements between your country & Thailand are what is important.

Even if there is a double tax treaty you would have to pay tax in Thailand if for example in country X you pay 10% tax but in Thailand you would have to pay 15% tax,then you will pay the difference

• Confused 1