Phuket Named World’s Most Overcrowded Destination Amid Tourism Boom

snoop1130

On 9/13/2024 at 2:16 PM, Sandboxer said:

Pearl of the Andaman 555. More like the Mallorca (yuck) of SEA.

Overpriced Thai (and non-Thai) food that is often not very authentic tasting. Paying 120-180 for a pad krapao, that would cost 40-60 in "expensive" Bangkok lolz......

Counterfeit alcohol galore.

Transport/taxi ripoffs.

Lots of trash on road/hillsides.

A-hole ay-rab tourists on big bikes endangering everyone.

Generally unpleasant demographics of any nationality.

Locals' driving habits/traffic even more dangerous/idiotic than anywhere else in the country.

Condo sales prices laughable considering the overdevelopment.

Ugly construction sites (condos/estates) all over the island.

Hookers/bar owner pimps think their poop is made of gold bars. Too many trannies.

Most beaches no longer pristine.

Noise pollution everywhere.

Weed shops every few meters for the millennial losers who are unable to get it up.

Here's my lunchtime walk on 2 Oct 2024 on Patong beach. Kilometers of trash/flotsam. Picked up a few items and there's quite a variety of countries it comes from.

20262.jpg

2nd October 24, you are a time traveller?

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 12:01 AM, madmitch said:

Id like to know where they get their information from. For a start the article mentions the 300 baht tourist tax, which has yet to be implemented, and the top three destinations all being Thai looks fishy to me. No mention of certain Greek or Spanish islands and major cities..

I think the data may be based on a ratio of tourists to locals. It is well known that Phuket's so- called population is undercooked as most residents are registered elsewhere in Thailand. That's probably true of Pattaya and Krabi too.

Phuket is overcrowded in high season but so are many others. Worst in the world? I doubt it 

Totally agree.  I was down a beach 2 weeks ago and there was about 6 people on it.  Admittedly it was one of the lesser known beaches in Phuket but I still doubt it's the most crowded destination in the world.  

10 hours ago, paulikens said:

Totally agree.  I was down a beach 2 weeks ago and there was about 6 people on it.  Admittedly it was one of the lesser known beaches in Phuket but I still doubt it's the most crowded destination in the world.  

It's been raining almost every day for 2 months.  Not too many people at the beach

• Like 1

Just now, paulikens said:

There has been plenty of days when it's been sunny in the last two months.  Maybe you didn't look out the window on them days

🤣🤣  Yeah I saw the sun.  There just not a lot of tourists here Now.   Come December it will be over crowded and packed, which is what the article is about--too many tourists in one small location.   Anyway, the sun finally came out today.  Let's count the tourists on the beach....(okay this is a joke )  Have a great day!!!

• Agree 1

On 9/15/2024 at 4:40 AM, LivingNThailand said:

🤣🤣  Yeah I saw the sun.  There just not a lot of tourists here Now.   Come December it will be over crowded and packed, which is what the article is about--too many tourists in one small location.   Anyway, the sun finally came out today.  Let's count the tourists on the beach....(okay this is a joke )  Have a great day!!!

Fair enough.   But that was my point if it's such an overcrowded destination then it would be rammed whatever the season. which it isn't because as most of us know it's rainy season and it's quiet here.   but loads of destinations don't have a rainy season so surely they're much more overcrowded over a year.  I think stats can fit any narrative if needed.  for example take the stat they used and use it a ridiculous way.......  118 tourists to each resident.  if there is only one resident that means there is only 118 tourists so not exactly overcrowded.  I'm using the extreme obviously but it's just to show the stat they're using means nothing.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

I'm using the extreme obviously but it's just to show the stat they're using means nothing.   

Yes, agree.  The statistics I read in the paper are hilarious.   Statistics 101, a great class in college, more people in the government and people that write articles  should take it.  😂  It's raining again today  🤣  As long as it doesn't flood again I'll be happy.

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Like 1