Aug 20 May Be Declared Special Public Holiday

george

Aug 20 may be public holiday

BANGKOK: -- August 20 may be declared a special public holiday as the government bids to get voters to turn out in the constitution referendum the day before.

Election Commission chairman Apichart Sukhagganond yesterday said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont had asked the agency about the idea.

Surayud said many people would travel long distances to vote, and not having to work the next day would ease their burden.

The commission agreed it would encourage voter turnout, Apichart said, adding that the final decision rested with the government.

--The Nation 2007-08-04

"....many people would travel long distances to vote...."

I thought this was the Age of Information and Instantaneous Communication, so why are people having to travel a long way to vote?

If it is now possible to bring the voting to the people, rather than the people having to take themselves to the voting, it should be done.

Or are certain self-elevated-to-privelege vested interests now finding themselves in danger of being hoisted with their own petard?

"....many people would travel long distances to vote...."

I thought this was the Age of Information and Instantaneous Communication, so why are people having to travel a long way to vote?

If it is now possible to bring the voting to the people, rather than the people having to take themselves to the voting, it should be done.

Or are certain self-elevated-to-privelege vested interests now finding themselves in danger of being hoisted with their own petard?

I don't think it is any different in Eng/Aus not sure about other countries.

They have to draw up ROLLS which are based upon where your registered as living - here of course where you are registered as living is where your name is on the Tabien Ban - and as we know in many many cases this can be a long way from where you work and maybe rent - of course we have postal/absentee voting - in Thailand it's better to say no more.

Just a casual thought on the matter.

In order to expedite successful passing of the constitution the government should announce that the Monday will be a public holiday if the constitution is accepted by a majority vote. Rejection will result in work as usual....

In order to expedite successful passing of the constitution the government should announce that the Monday will be a public holiday if the constitution is accepted by a majority vote. Rejection will result in work as usual....

:o

Edited by stevemiddie

Position {at least in 'normal' elections} here is that people have to return to their constituencies to vote. That is not so unusual after all even in 1st World countries.

Regards

Sure, if you don't count the ability to vote via post.

Another option would be to give a holiday to those who voted "yes." Or did they turn the voting booths around so people can't see how you voted!

Actually, it is a good idea to grant the day as a holiday, otherwise a lot of people really won't have the option of voting without missing a day of work. It's good to hear that they are thinking of those who actually aren't registered in the larger cities.

In the US, you can move anywhere you want or need to and then you register to vote with your new address. Here in Thailand, as Mijan24 said, you have to return to the area where you are registered as being a member of a family domicile. This doesn't change unless you own a home somewhere else, but most folks are just renting in BKK for work or school and taking the money back to the provinces.

Position {at least in 'normal' elections} here is that people have to return to their constituencies to vote. That is not so unusual after all even in 1st World countries.

Regards

I believe you are referring to 'voting in absentia' for those Thais overseas.

Regards

My (Thai) wife residence (Tabien Bahn) is in the northeast but she says that she can register at the local Tessabahn to vote in the referendum without travelling to her official domicile. She will go tomorrow so I will let you know the outcome.

Regards

No, I'm refering to voting via post.

He mentioned 1st world countries and in some of the first world countries you are able to vote via post, for whatever reason you like. Often done by people that either have predecided have want to do something else on election day or people that knows they will not be in their home-region on election day. In either way, the option is there.

Regards

An Article from The Nation:

Charter campaign stepped up

Published on Jul 21, 2007

The government has stepped up its campaign to raise awareness of the August 19 charter referendum, Prime Minister's Office Minister Thirapat Serirangsan said yesterday.

A democracy flag is making its way across the country carried by bearers and will reach Bangkok on August 2. Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont is scheduled to preside over the welcoming ceremony.

An exhibition to promote the referendum and democratic rule will take place from August 3-5 at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani.

Mobile exhibition teams will be dispatched to set up 10,000 referendum displays upcountry.

Provincial offices, municipalities and all local governments are putting up posters and billboards notifying the referendum date and encouraging voting.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urged the government to promote the referendum without trying to influence its outcome.

"I agree with the awareness campaign, although the government is obliged to remain neutral and accept the people's judgement," he said.

In spite of a slow start, some 85,000 absentee voters have registered to cast referendum votes in Bangkok.

The registration took place between July 10 and yesterday and saw almost 70,000 non-Bangkok residents exerting their right to vote.

The city administration has estimated a voter turnout of 60 per cent.

In Chiang Mai, some 4,000 absentee voters have decided to vote in the northern province instead of going back to their hometowns.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...amp;id=30041822