USA Credit Bureaus - Equifax Says They Do Not Have My Credit File

Anybody ever received a letter from a credit bureau saying they’re unable to locate your credit file? I’ve had a pristine credit history for over 40 years as a member of my credit union and a credit score normally over 800. I have strived life-long to maintain good credit and never missed payments, no bankruptcies, no criminal record.  So all of a sudden this summer starting in June I get letters from Experian and then Equifax saying they don’t have my credit file and to send ID documents  (the redacted letter from Equifax below at bottom).  These credit bureaus are so out of touch with Expats but there are about 10 million Expats worldwide and growing so they better get with the program.  I’m sure I’m not the only one (I’d like to start a class action lawsuit).

So some history of what happened. First it was Experian who said they did not have my credit file (May ’24) and then I asked my credit union to make sure Experian was getting my credit history.  My credit score went from over 800 to around a negative -10. Infuriated I complained to the CFPB which is supposed to oversee credit bureaus to find out how what happened, how did it get ‘lost’.  About a month later Experian fixed the problem (each bureau has different credit scores I believe) and I got my credit score back with them to almost normal. So that was relatively easy.  But then in June I get a postcard from Equifax (at my Thailand address) saying there is no credit file available. So then I complained to CFPB about Equifax and got this letter from Equifax in late June (OCR redacted copy below) saying they could not locate my credit file.  It was very strange because just the month before I happened to download my Equifax Credit Report and it was Exceptional. So anyway, I responded to the Equifax letter via DHL with tracking (it was delivered) and what I sent back met their 2 required items. Side note: They know I’m overseas and unbelievably they don’t ask for a passport for ID just shows how out of touch they are with Expats. So then comes the end of July and I get 2 more identical letters from Equifax but what’s frustrating is they give no information about what they found wrong with my original response.  So, they expect you to go through the whole rigmarole again and just take a shot in the dark not knowing what they didn’t like about my response.  I am so done with credit bureaus I am not going to waste my time responding to them again. Next complaining to CFPB again, then FTC, then Senator and then a Credit Bureau lawyer. I would be interested if anyone else received a letter like this and what happened.  A couple other thoughts:

* The credit file is mostly derived from what the bank or creditors send to the credit bureau. I actually do not believe they cannot locate my credit file all they have to do is contact my bank because is a dialogue between banks and the credit bureaus. They have my name, SSN, banks etc. they just nee to put 2 and 2 together.

* I have my Equifax credit report from May 24 (I keep close tabs on my credit and frequently download my credit reports form all 3 bureaus) just a few months before this began and it was "Exceptional" credit. What happened how did they ‘lose’ it in about 2 months time.

* Although they are not a government agency I they are still obligated to fairly represent credit and by not providing my credit history (which I believe they actually have despite their saying they can’t locate it) they are in effect trashing my credit. How can they not ‘locate it’ don’t they do backups. I think it’s just a BS excuse to harass because I filed a CFPB complaint.

(Redacted Letter here below with my notations)

We have received your request concerning inaccurate information on your Equifax credit file.

We were unable to locate a credit file in our database with the identification information you provided, In order to further assist you, we will need additional documents to verify your identification. Please provide your complete Name, Current and Former Addresses, Social Security Number and Date of Birth. (I Did in my response) We ask that you please send us a copy of two different items - one from each of the two categories listed below. (I did, solid with SSN card and lease) One item will verify your identity and the other will verify your current address.
Category 1) IDENTIFICATION
Please make a copy of one of the following items.
The item you choose MUST contain your complete 9-digit Social Security number.
8 Pay stub with complete U.S. Social Security number  N/A I’m Retired
W-2 form with complete U.S. Social Security number  N/A I’m Retired
Valid Social Security Card  Done submitted my original SSN card front and back (which I amazingly still have)
Also I submitted a copy of my passport which seems like a no-brainer if you’re dealing with Expats (told this to the Equifax CEO who I DHL’d a copy of my response)

Note: A 'Work Permit Only' card is not valid proof of a SSN.

Category 2) CURRENT ADDRESS
Please make a copy of one of the following items.
The item you choose MUST contain your current mailing address of (redacted)
Driver's license  (I submitted copies of my expired USA license and current Thai license but they did not have current address so probably rejected)
Rental/lease agreement or house deed  Done I submitted my lease agreement, it’s in English too
Pay stub with address  N/A Retired
Utility bill (i.e. gas, electric, water, cable, residential telephone bill) with current service address.  Done submitted my Thai phone that has name and address.  They don’t specify if it has to be US phone.

Again, we need a total of two items -- one item from each of the categories above -- to process your request. Please submit those items along with this letter to the following address:
Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 105069
Atlanta, GA 30348-5069
To ensure that your request is processed without delay, please enlarge photocopies and ensure the information is legible. Illegible documents or documents that contain highlights may cause delay in processing as we may have to ask you to resubmit your request with more legible documents. All submitted documents were clear and legible
Please return this letter along with the requested information and your original correspondence/request to the address below. I sent via DHL with tracking number and it was delivered.
Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

You are confused.  They state they can not find your file based on the information you provided not that they do not have it.  I had that issue and easily fixed it by sending them some information.  Try sending what they want not things which clearly don’t meet their needs like the drivers licenses without current addresses.

Interesting.

It sounds to me this is all about you being open as an expat.

I still have a U.S. credit report based on U.S. residency which I do not have.

Address, phone number, credit card with U.S. address. etc.

That's what they like. Not saying its fair.

I guess the good news is that it usually becomes less important for older people to have good credit scores but of course if you're moving back and hope to rent an apartment, etc. it's a big problem. 

11 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You are confused.  They state they can not find your file based on the information you provided not that they do not have it.  I had that issue and easily fixed it by sending them some information.  Try sending what they want not things which clearly don’t meet their needs like the drivers licenses without current addresses.

Obviously you didn't read what I submitted to them. 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

It sounds to me this is all about you being open as an expat.

I still have a U.S. credit report based on U.S. residency which I do not have.

Address, phone number, credit card with U.S. address. etc.

That's what they like. Not saying its fair.

I guess the good news is that it usually becomes less important for older people to have good credit scores but of course if you're moving back and hope to rent an apartment, etc. it's a big problem. 

Hi, mostly it's a matter of principle, in that if you have good credit and pay your bills they shouldn't be able to trash that because you live overseas and i.e. don't have a US phone.  But also I sent 2 items (SSN card and lease) that no question met their requirements and they still harass by sending more letters with no explanation on why it was rejected.  And that potentially impacts on me being able to keep my credit cards. Fortunately  my banks do not use Equifax so my score is still good with them and i suspect my credit union would weigh my 40 year good standing with them over a wayward credit bureau. And they're very aware of this problem so I doubt if they'd cancel my card. Plus they are pro-expat in that they allow you to have a foreign address and phone on your account.  I could get by on debit cards except when I travel to check-in at hotels sometimes they want a real credit card (I'm going to go to Bangkok Bank to get a secured credit card as backup). but still it's the principle of the thing I don't like them trashing my credit for no good reason.  Thank you

Edited by JimmerJJ