House water pump & filters

seajae

If not the right forum can mods change it,

We are building a bungalow/cabin next to out house for our daughter, it is one large room with a seperate bathroom/toilet, our house is not that big either(1 bedroom, kitchen area, lounge area and bathroom) but we need to get the water pressure right,

We currently have a 150 hitachi auto pump that is enough to do 1 shower, 1 toilet, hand basin, kitchen sink, the washing machine outdoor sink plus water the garden.

The new cabin has a shower, toilet & hand basin that are already hooked up and we have noticed the water pressure has dropped a bit so we take it we need a bigger pump. I thought a 250 would do but sales staff are telling us to go even bigger, the current  pump is directly behind the new cabin and around 10 metres from our house, would like some opinions on the correct size we need,

Also we have started getting very small black spots in our water, water has been very good for over two years since we had the well done(40 metres) , water has always been extremely clean and drinkable but the black spots(soft and not in big amounts) need to be filtered out so we need a filter between the well pump and the tanks then one between the tanks and the house pump , because there is only a small amount of black spots I thought a smaller with a clear removable cover filter would suffice especially as we would be installing one either side of the tanks, one that can be cleaned once a week or so costing a few thousand  baht but again the sales people are saying we need a very large filter(standing 1.5 metres) costing 15,000 baht which I think is definite over kill. I am hoping some of the people in the know regarding water pumps/filters etc can advise as this is definitely not something I am up on and I am aware sales staff like to sell more than is needed.

Thanks guys

13 hours ago, seajae said:

The new cabin has a shower, toilet & hand basin that are already hooked up and we have noticed the water pressure has dropped a bit so we take it we need a bigger pump.

That maybe true and a bigger pump will probably work, however your current pump may be sufficient with correctly sized pipe.

The vast majority of Thai plumbing is done with ½” pipe and multiple 90o bends

Many houses that complain (or don’t bother complaining) will have much better supply pressure and flow if they used 1½ “ pipe until just before the outlets and as few bends as possible 

The reason why ½” pipe and multiple 90o bends is a bad choice and 1½ “ pipe until just before the outlets and as few bends as possible  work is friction losses in the pipe 

a 5 meter run of ½” pipe and multiple 90o bends compared to the same in 1½ “ pipe with few bends will have 80 x friction loss, and higher, than the larger bore pipe.

You can overcome this by using a bigger pump and keep using small pipe & that is what most do.

as to your situation if you don’t want to replace any pipe the bigger 250 will probably be plenty.

if you are up for replacing pipe then any runs of ½” that are replaced with 1½ “ pipe will help, the more that is replaced the better.

If you are going to replace any pipe you may find that your current 150 is big enough.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1