Northeast Flood Relief Accelerates as Water Levels Peak at 16-Year High

snoop1130

f7d9dca5b80c4330bd7adef3fa2c282f_18.png

Government officials are rushing to improve water drainage in flood-ravaged northeastern provinces Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom, and Bung Kan, Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul revealed today.

The 58-year-old Deputy PM stressed the urgency of diverting water into the Mekong River to reduce the impact of severe flooding, which has been intensified by water flowing from northern regions and upstream dam releases. The situation is dire in Nong Khai, where water levels hit a 16-year high of 13.8 metres, submerging the municipal office and breaching flood barriers at Phra That Lanong.

With the local hospital only taking emergency cases and public transport disrupted, shelters have been established to aid affected residents. Meanwhile, Nakhon Phanom braces for a rise in the Mekong River, currently just 50 centimetres from the danger line, prompting evacuations of vendors and heightened apprehension over incoming rains.

In Bung Kan, water levels have stabilised at 13.4 metres, offering a glimmer of hope if rains cease. Elsewhere, areas like Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district report gradual improvements, despite damage wrought by mudslides and 10 fatalities since the flooding began on September 9.

Officials are tirelessly working to enhance water drainage and support hard-hit communities, aiming to curtail further devastation in the region.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-16

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

So, worse than 2011?  Or was that in a different basin?

depends on catchment area - Some of the extreme North of Thailand drins into the Mekong, but MOST eventually flows into the Chaopraya or towards BKK.In the North for instance th Ping in Chiang Mai is a tributary of the Chaopraya.

The Tail of Typhoon Yaga has caused a lot of extra rain up North and the west is being washed by the Southwest monsoon. As you point out, it isn't down to the rain landing on your head, it is wear all that rains drains to that is most important.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 58-year-old Deputy PM stressed the urgency of diverting water into the Mekong River to reduce the impact of severe flooding, which has been intensified by water flowing from northern regions and upstream dam releases.

Reduce the impact, the Op photo suggests it's too damn late

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

It seems like Bangkok Post and much of the other Thai media ignoring the floods North and prior in South in past days and weeks.

I was absolutely shocked to see video clips Lampang, Chaing Mai , Chaing Rai. The amount of loss of property was stunning and I really heard no word about the loss of life in Thai MSM. I bet it's considerable. Last night I watched the video of a river that had jumped the bank in Luang Namtha. Water was almost above the quite high electric lines.

Kind of okay with the change of government regardless of the backing but I'm hearing nothing about assistance

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chadnik said:

I'm no engineer, unless drainage underneath won't the road collapse eventually?

Even if it did, it's all positive. Same officials who got the kickbacks from the hole drilling contract, will get even more from the re-paving/road fixing job... 

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

In 2011/12 they drilled lots of holes in the road to let the water drain......

20120104T120234.jpg

Seems Pattaya City officials not aware of this thingy. I think I have seen all possible other forms of roadworks ongoing in rotating manner over the years, but this drill job still to find it's way here.