Former C.I.A. Officer Sentenced to 30 Years for Sexual Assault and Drugging Women

Social Media

image.png

Brian Jeffrey Raymond, a former C.I.A. officer, has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for drugging, sexually assaulting, and photographing more than two dozen women. His actions, carried out while he served in various international posts, came to light after years of abuse, according to federal prosecutors. 

image.png

Raymond, 48, of La Mesa, California, pleaded guilty in a U.S. District Court in Washington to four of the 25 charges against him. These included sexual abuse, abusive sexual contact, coercion and enticement, and transportation of obscene material. His sentence reflected the maximum punishment prosecutors had requested. "When this predator was a government employee, he lured unsuspecting women to his government-leased housing and drugged them," said U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves. "After drugging these women, he stripped, sexually abused, and photographed them."

Prosecutors revealed that the assaults took place between 2006 and 2020 across multiple countries where Raymond had worked. During that time, he drugged and photographed or filmed 25 women while they were nude or partially nude. "Many of the recordings featured Raymond touching and manipulating the victim’s bodies when they were unconscious and incapable of consent," prosecutors added. When Raymond became aware of the investigation, he tried to delete the explicit images and videos.

The most recent of Raymond’s crimes occurred in Mexico City between 2019 and 2020, where he was stationed at the American Embassy. Prosecutors said he raped six women while in Mexico, each assault following a similar pattern. He met his victims through dating apps, communicated in Spanish, and presented himself as a "high-level embassy employee in whom the government had reposed special trust."

The investigation into Raymond began in May 2020 after authorities in Mexico responded to a report of "a naked, hysterical woman desperately screaming for help" from the balcony of his apartment. The FBI and State Department subsequently launched a probe into his actions.

During his sentencing, several of Raymond’s victims shared the traumatic impact of his actions. One woman said, “My body looks like a corpse on his bed,” recalling a photo of herself. "Now I have these nightmares of seeing myself dead." Raymond addressed the court, acknowledging his actions. "It betrayed everything I stand for, and I know no apology will ever be enough. There are no words to describe how sorry I am. That’s not who I am, and yet it’s who I became," he said.

The C.I.A. issued a statement condemning Raymond’s actions, saying, “We take any allegations of sexual assault or sexual harassment extremely seriously and have taken significant steps to ensure we maintain a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment for our workforce. There is absolutely no excuse for Mr. Raymond’s reprehensible, appalling behavior.”

In addition to the 30-year prison sentence, Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ordered Raymond to be on supervised release for life and to pay $260,000 in restitution to his victims. He will also be required to register as a sex offender.

Credit: NYT 2024-09-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

Something wrong with this mans head. In a position to get all those women willingly. Yet feels he needs to drug them so he can do what he wants. I am curious though if he is CIA why he is an Embassy worker and able to get the trust of all these women? 

5 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Something wrong with this mans head. In a position to get all those women willingly. Yet feels he needs to drug them so he can do what he wants. I am curious though if he is CIA why he is an Embassy worker and able to get the trust of all these women?

Embassy worker is the usual "cover" for low level intelligence agents. I say "cover" because it hardly fools anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

His victims had the benefit of being unable to know what he was doing to them. With any luck his fellow inmates will not afford him the same privilege. 

If things get too tough he can always follow Jeffrey epsteins example 

• Thumbs Up 1

The only comfort many will get in all of this horror, is knowing how warmly he will be treated in prison, and the knowledge that he will likely never make it out. Which is all good. 

He self revoked the right to consume oxygen long ago. 

Meet Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria, the chief of the secret police under the days of Stalin. Beria was a prolific sexual predator, who serially raped hundreds of girls and young women, and murdered some of his victims. His home is today's Tunisian Embassy in Moscow who had some utility works done in the cellar of the building just to find decayed bones, pelvises and skulls of women buried there during Beria's days. Beria got executed in part for that (some political background as well into which I am not going into here). 

It should be possible in the 21st century to do a psychological analysis of applicants. Air crew undergoes this, not only flight deck but cabin crew applicants and the same could and should be implemented for applicants of privileges jobs. If this CIA man would have been caught outside the US with a diplomatic passport, the host country could not even touch him. Repatriating him back to the US (where is immunity does not grip) and do a cross border trial with Mexico - I wish you good luck with that. 

In this particular case it gladly surfaced; in many other cases it gets wiped under the big carpet of diplomatic immunity. May this rapist rot in hell; I still opt for the death sentence in such cases as you cannot un-rape a female, you cannot un-pedophile a child and the same applies to drug dealers. 

And let's see, how many years this prime example of a government officer is really serving in jail; it is certainly not 30 years - me fears. 

6 hours ago, tgw said:

Embassy worker is the usual "cover" for low level intelligence agents. I say "cover" because it hardly fools anyone.

Not quite accurate.

Case officers who work under cover in embassies are actually the only agency employees who do actual intelligence collection (besides NOCs, who sound as if they could do a lot, but tend to produce precious little). Calling them 'low level' ignores that without them, there is no intel. Once they move up to 'high level' and become management, or "7th Floor types" or CoSs, they become bureaucrats who might manage, but they produce little of what goes into the agency product, PDB, etc.

A case officer under cover has a full time embassy job, just as if he/she was a State Dept employee. He/she also has agency work, which tends to mean 100+ hour weeks.

And no, they are not always obvious, because they are also doing a full time State job, such as Pol, Econ or Commercial. If trained well, they can fool even the local service.

While the vetting for agency case officers is complex and as thorough as humanly possible (background checks, swirls, psych assessments, IQ tests with strict cutoffs <~120), a psychopath can sometimes beat the system. I suspect the subject of this article meets that criteria, as one of the 3-4% of humans who are psychopaths. Some psychopaths become rapists, some become Ted Bundy, some become CEOs of major corporations, and some become Presidential candidates.

The key attributes of a psychopath are an easy charm that fools many people, pathological lying, thinking rules apply to others but not them, an absence of guilt or shame, and a total lack of human empathy.