The annoyance of the ++ prices

Dirk Z

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus in the US waiters etc., who will demand an extra 10 - 20% tip, they believe it's their right regardless of the level of service they have given. I've heard stories of waiters who follow diners to the car park to demand a tip. Wow. 

Hi, we are talking about Thailand and what happens in Thailand .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Davedub said:

I'd always assumed it was an American import - I remember my chagrin at what felt like deception during my first US trip when I found out all the prices in the supermarkets were incorrect - what you actually pay at the checkout has state and some sort of federal tax added.

Coming from a country where the price you see is the price you pay, it seems like a very strange, unnecessarily complicated practice -  please just tell me what the thing actually costs ffs, life is complicated enough!

A Federal tax on groceries? Even Taxachusetts doesn't have that one. 

On 9/20/2024 at 3:42 PM, Foxx said:

Isn't this even worse in the United States? Go to a supermarket and often surprise taxes are added - state sales tax, county sales tax.  No clear pricing.

Future President Kamala stated those  extra fees will be eliminated 

On 9/20/2024 at 3:16 PM, MalcolmB said:

Thankyou for your question.

VAT registered businesses can offset the VAT paid against their on VAT with their tax return. Not every business is VAT registered so it is to let you know.

The service charge is there so you do not have to bother leaving a tip. Makes it easier. 

True to a degree, but then you also get them, not only in Thailand, expecting tips on top of the service charge or dropping ' not so subtle '  hints that they don't get the service charge

4 hours ago, Davedub said:

I'd always assumed it was an American import - I remember my chagrin at what felt like deception during my first US trip when I found out all the prices in the supermarkets were incorrect - what you actually pay at the checkout has state and some sort of federal tax added.

Coming from a country where the price you see is the price you pay, it seems like a very strange, unnecessarily complicated practice -  please just tell me what the thing actually costs ffs, life is complicated enough!

I think you are more or less right.

Thailand never used to have a tipping culture at all, now it is everywhere, even tip tins on the counters at hotel receptions and in the space between front and back of taxis.

I hate both the practice of adding GST etc. on bills and the so called 15% - 20% tips that are more or less compulsory in the USA and Canada.

I am also not interested in the excuse how poorly US waiters etc. get paid, or that they rely on tips to make a wage, take it up with your employer.

That is between them and the establishment in which they work, it should not be on the customers toes.

Prices marked on goods, should be the price you pay, anything else is misrepresentation.