Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

7 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Same in term of WHT filing obligation, just the rates may change.

All information is linked there, if you need further info I suggest you approach a Thai accounting firm.

Thank you for providing the Mazars information, I agree that we cannot go much further with this, without external input. I view the WHT as being for services and not labour, "a deduction from payments made to suppliers who provide a service". The difference between the two categories are highly contentious in many economies, mostly from a tax perspective. In the UK, contractors who supply a service are regarded as a businesses but if labour is deemed to be supplied, they are employees.

I shall continue to dig into this and post anything I think might be helpful.

21 hours ago, Presnock said:

To expats re some agent info:

expattaxthailand.com - provided a webinar today on pensions of different countries - some exempt due to DTA's others not which by now most of us already know.  They mentioned that if one has no assessable income (i.e. only have exempted govt pension or social security) then one does not need to get a Thai tax number nor file any tax form.

In addition he said that they will give one a 15 minute FREE consultation on one's taxes so if not too convoluted then should be able to help folks.  They also have tax prep help,

75K, 12K and 24K depending on how much help is needed. They also have webinars set for DTA's and other tax filing issues in the future.  One can contact them and register for the webinars (FREE) via computer (ZOOM).   I notice someone has asked about the 800K for visa if it is taxable.  Normally, if it is in the first half of the year, and then the person remitted it into a Thai bank, unless the person stayed 180 or more days that calendar year, it wouldn't be taxed but if one did remit the 800K early in the year and stayed the

180+ days, then it would be taxable.  Some bit about the source of the 800K pre 2024 savings or whatever - a good question for one considering depositing the money to check with someone who might know for sure. He also said that his office has all the DTA's with Thailand if folks wanted to check on their particular country.   Goodluck to all!

"They mentioned that if one has no assessable income (i.e. only have exempted govt pension or social security) then one does not need to get a Thai tax number nor file any tax form".

That confirms what we already understood, but still doesn't shed light on the much debated, somewhat contentious, middle ground scenario where there is some assessable income but not enough to pay tax.......it would be nice to lay that one to bed with confirmation from an external source.

5 hours ago, chiang mai said:

"They mentioned that if one has no assessable income (i.e. only have exempted govt pension or social security) then one does not need to get a Thai tax number nor file any tax form".

That confirms what we already understood, but still doesn't shed light on the much debated, somewhat contentious, middle ground scenario where there is some assessable income but not enough to pay tax.......it would be nice to lay that one to bed with confirmation from an external source.

We have been advised to sit back and wait if and when an official and clear announcement  and yes let alone form 90 and the income exemption entitlement form'
The vast majority of us are below the thresholds and income under a maximum of 560K income but noticed the P60's show the tax paid in the UK and if and whenever these forms are out then the one taxed already one should not include in the figures'
Also of course the Uk tax period os from the 6th April and the Thai one is 1Jan to 31st December correct but keep the P60s as proof/

9 hours ago, jwest10 said:

We have been advised to sit back and wait if and when an official and clear announcement  and yes let alone form 90 and the income exemption entitlement form'
The vast majority of us are below the thresholds and income under a maximum of 560K income but noticed the P60's show the tax paid in the UK and if and whenever these forms are out then the one taxed already one should not include in the figures'
Also of course the Uk tax period os from the 6th April and the Thai one is 1Jan to 31st December correct but keep the P60s as proof/

Really under 560K Baht p.a.? This is not even enough for the extension of stay in TH via the income method. Maybe I am mistaken but I assume that the majority here are over 560K Baht per year.

Edited by stat
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

Really under 560K Baht p.a.? This is not even enough for the extension of stay in TH via the income method. Maybe I am mistaken but I assume that the majority here are over 560K Baht per year.

It is for married retirees.