Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

a bitcoin equivalent

No, it's just a bank/stock statement that is not sent out every month. "Digital" as in only available online. I've never had to print out any of it before.  I'm sure there's a way; but I'm not sure that TRD will accept it.

Just now, Talon said:

No, it's just a bank/stock statement that is not sent out every month. "Digital" as in only available online. I've never had to print out any of it before.  I'm sure there's a way; but I'm not sure that TRD will accept it.

OK, so that's even easier, if it was Bitcoin or similar it would be difficult. 

As long as you can get an online copy, that's all that matters at this stage. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JimGant said:

All are NOT assessable. The DTA dictates which income remittances are assessable -- and which are NOT.

I have only read the UK DTA but the word "assessable" (assessable or non-assessable) is not found in the document once, it only states what can be "taxed" and by which country, the DTA is one way of claiming funds that are assessed should not be taxed, Thai RD data only comes from CRS, it tells them your remittances, it doesn't say which remittances are accessible or not (CRS doesn't know the detail of the funds behind every remittance, it knows income and remittance values), that will be the point of the tax return and any follow up that Thai RD conduct.  

17 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Not "if" just "when." 

So why so dismissive in a previous post? 

Not to my knowledge, but it's not 2025 yet, is it? 

In the same way you are ushered to the overstay desk when they know you have overstayed your tourist visa, it's entirely possible you will be ushered to a TRD desk in the future, after staying more than 180 days inside Thailand.  This is just a hypothetical, but the infrastructure for immigration counting the days foreigners are in Thailand is already in place at the boarders, and no, the immigration officer doesn't look at a calendar and count every day, for every foreigner, a computer does it.  

In the same way they want their 500 baht a day for a tourist overstay, they simply might want 500 baht at a boarder from a tax resident for a clearance certificate, should they not have one.  Who knows?  

I rule nothing out when it comes to Thailand, the Thai government, foreigners, and money. 

No need for you to "demand" it from them, because they are most likely going to "demand" it from you. See the above.   :smile:

So in your previous post you said

”Did you ever consider you MAY need a document from the TRD showing your pension is a government service pension, thus covered under a DTA? ”

now your saying instead of me needing it from them, they are going to demand it off me. Which is it? You’re being quite argumentative over a really quite benign couple of posts. But to answer you I have sufficient information that I can access off my phone to verify the source of my pension. In the unlikely event that I have to show some clerk from the TRD this at the airport which you seem to think will be next year. I just don’t agree with you that it is this close. Are you suggesting that they will force people to lodge a return at the airport, or more simply just pay a large fine. If they do this they will have to announce it categorically in advance. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

From The Thaiger the owner of this site.

At 12:30 This guy says ATM and CC are not ¨currently¨ taxable.  So, if if knows what he is talking about any current statements that they are in fact taxable, seem false.  

Thanks for the video! 

According to what was currently discussed in the video, ATM withdrawals from a foreign bank are not taxed. The DTA with the US means that my Social Security and state pension would not be taxed.  If the TRD decides that my state pension is private, I'd only be taxed on funds that are brought here.

The video provided lots of answers for me.

But I realize that all of that could change in the blink of an eye.  TIT. 

28 minutes ago, Talon said:

Thanks for the video! 

According to what was currently discussed in the video, ATM withdrawals from a foreign bank are not taxed. The DTA with the US means that my Social Security and state pension would not be taxed.  If the TRD decides that my state pension is private, I'd only be taxed on funds that are brought here.

The video provided lots of answers for me.

But I realize that all of that could change in the blink of an eye.  TIT. 

That video has been poo pooh'ed wide and far, some  of the information in it is simply unreliable, as is the so called tax expert.

5 hours ago, chiang mai said:

We have members who want me to change my name, my writing style and now one who wants less use of authoritative confusing words. I don't believe in 18 years here I have ever asked another poster to change those things about themselves, I've simply asked them to clarify points they made. Is that asking too much of others.

If posters think that anything I post is official information, I have to fall back on forum rules, tradition and common sense. Who would take first line legal, medical or tax advice as gospel, when it's written on a social network forum! I would take first line medical advice from Sheryl and Crossy for electrical information, because I trust their track record and knowledge, anyone else I probably wouldn't.......don't other members do similar!

Lastly, no, this is not my daily job, it's a fill in activity or diversion whilst I do two other main tasks most days, the three things complement each other.

Totally agree - all we see here I consider the source, then I go research it myself.  I don't ever link even if I am quoting something controversial.  I mention where it came from but if anyone is really interested then they can google it themselves.  I don't want anyone quoting ME as an official source as who knows what to believe nowadays.  Just look at the candidates for President and VP of the US - nothing but lies from both sides.  A scary situation as one will be the leader of the USA!

• Like 1

I think we must realise that the thai treasury are going through the process of organising some very distastful rules at the moment that may come into law next year because they are  having major financial problems  because the country is broke & it does not concern them what any foreigners think & certainly not what the french think about it...at the moment it is a remittance tax as of January 24 but next year looks like moving to the world wide tax which would be devastating to foreigners.. the one thing you have going for you is the 6 month rule which also could come under scrutiny in the future..so every thing is irrelevent really as you do not matter to the Thais only your money does...and you should take relevence from the fact that they most probably will link your  history to  your visa renewals & they have stated that non compliance will lead to fines , double tax liability & even jail terms in some extreme cases..so getting professional advice is the way to go rather than just thinking this will all disappear into the sunset..

Edited by Johno57
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Just explain that pensioners from certain countries are liable to pay taxes on their old-age pensions! There is no tax refund. Why do you always make it so complicated?

I politely disagree, I think that statement of yours above is over-simplified, I currently believe those old-age pensions might still only be liable to Thai tax if/when they were being remitted or paid-out in Thailand

Although they may, or may not, be taxable elsewhere.  Which is a whole other discussion.

It is a complicated situation, and there is still only limited-information available, from official Thai-sources  ...  we just have to wait & see, how it is actually implemented January-March next year, for the Thai tax-year 2024.  Knowing Thailand, it may well be dropped  or not-enforced, without being officially withdrawn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wordchild said:

From a wider perspective its really difficult to see that Thailand has much to gain from a remittance tax on its own, in terms of the net financial benefit to the country.

At least as far as expats are concerned we bring funds in for a variety of reasons but the linking factor is it’s money we intend to spend or invest , one way or another, in the country. 
  Eg 1) daily living -finds its way into the tax system, one way or another.

2) purchase or rent somewhere to live, again moves funds through the system into the government coffers

3) travel and tourism activities, again some of it should generate tax revenue.

the deeper problem in the country is the inefficiency of  tax collection in certain sectors and especially the ease of avoidance within the “black economy “.

It seems to me, that all this remittance tax will do (without addressing the fundamental problem above)is reduced the flows of funds into the country, and hence lowering the total tax take.

I think this whole thing has been poorly thought through , and I would not be surprised to see it walked back over the next few years.

I said as much.

Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

People will change their behavior as the tax rates are changed.

The spending behavior of foreigners will change (and is already changing).

- Foreigners will leave and move elsewhere

- Foreigners will spend less than 180 days in Thailand resulting in spending less and not owing any tax

- Foreigners who stay will bring less money to Thailand

- Foreigners who stay will make budget cuts and spend less money in Thailand, which will negatively impact VAT tax revenues for the government

- Foreigners will try and avoid it through various methods/loopholes

This happens in every country when tax laws change and impact people negatively.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Talon said:

I said as much.

Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

People will change their behavior as the tax rates are changed.

The spending behavior of foreigners will change (and is already changing).

- Foreigners will leave and move elsewhere

- Foreigners will spend less than 180 days in Thailand resulting in spending less and not owing any tax

- Foreigners who stay will bring less money to Thailand

- Foreigners who stay will make budget cuts and spend less money in Thailand, which will negatively impact VAT tax revenues for the government

- Foreigners will try and avoid it through various methods/loopholes

This happens in every country when tax laws change and impact people negatively.

This - and other posts - again implies that we are the targets of these new measures; that the Thai authorities have us in their sigts as the means of raising vast quantities of extra tax.  I do not believe this is the case.  The measure is aimed at Thais who earn foreign income and send it home - previously seasoning for a year to avoid any tax.  That we may be caught as well is merely a by priduct.

Considering that many of us will have income that is wholly or mainly exempt through DTA exemptions (eg US SS, UK and other Government Service pensions) and that other income will already be taxed by "home" countries, there will be very little extra income for the Thai Government to chase, and equally for us, collectively, to pay.  Odf course, there will be outliers and anomolies, but in the main - a bit of a nothing burger except for any additional paperwork needed.

PH

PH

• Love It 1

21 minutes ago, offset said:

Will the UK and Thai tax years being different create a problem with the DTA

Not really. The UK ends 5 April whereas Thailand filing period ends 31 March, a five day difference. 

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Not really. The UK ends 5 April whereas Thailand filing period ends 31 March, a five day difference. 

The UK tax year ends on the 5th of April.

The Thai tax year ends on the 31st of December. 

That's over a 4 month difference. Filing period is not part of the tax year. 

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I think you will find that March 31 is the last date to file for tax, the Thai tax year ends 31 December

How many wealthy Thais with overseas assets and income are there ?  How many old farang are here subsisting on adequate incomes from their previous country. I think A beats B by a country mile both in numbers and amount potentially owing. 

51 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

This - and other posts - again implies that we are the targets of these new measures; that the Thai authorities have us in their sigts as the means of raising vast quantities of extra tax.  I do not believe this is the case.  The measure is aimed at Thais who earn foreign income and send it home - previously seasoning for a year to avoid any tax.

Money is the target, and I know that the initial target was wealthy Thai citizens escaping tax.

I'm simply stating what occurs everywhere taxes are imposed -- regardless of who is the target. Behaviors of those affected will change.  People with critical thinking skills and experiences in other countries with taxation are well aware of  how taxation creeps along taking a little bit here, a little bit there, and the tax slowly expands.

I have already adjusted my behavior in anticipation of the unknown, and I know others who have done so as well.

As always, best wishes and good luck to everyone.

31 minutes ago, offset said:

I think you will find that March 31 is the last date to file for tax, the Thai tax year ends 31 December

33 minutes ago, Madgee said:

The UK tax year ends on the 5th of April.

The Thai tax year ends on the 31st of December. 

That's over a 4 month difference. Filing period is not part of the tax year. 

Yes, I am aware of those dates. The Thai Revenue permits an extension past 31 March, for people who file their return electronically, I think it is until 8 April.

The point of all of this is that by end March, early April, UK expats will be in a position to file ther Thai and UK returns with current and complete data. The poster asked if the overlapping years presented a problem and I don't think it does. I file both returns and I know by early March, what my numbers for both returns will look like.

15 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Yes, I am aware of those dates. The Thai Revenue permits an extension past 31 March, for people who file their return electronically, I think it is until 8 April.

The point of all of this is that by end March, early April, UK expats will be in a position to file ther Thai and UK returns with current and complete data. The poster asked if the overlapping years presented a problem and I don't think it does. I file both returns and I know by early March, what my numbers for both returns will look like.

Are you saying that you are going to file the same tax figures you get from the UK on your Thai return 

2 minutes ago, offset said:

Are you saying that you are going to file the same tax figures you get from the UK on your Thai return 

Not really. I'm simply saying that the numbers from both countries, become available around the same time.

The numbers I file on the Thai return are based on my remittances to Thailand, my UK return is based on other things.

• Like 1