Mother in Tears: Daughter Dies in Russia, Family Struggles to Bring Ashes Home

Georgealbert

IMG_5821.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Khaosod.

In a heart-wrenching plea for assistance, 68-year-old Sewiad Duangnil and her 14-year-old granddaughter, from Buriram, have reached out to government agencies for help in returning the ashes of Sewiad's daughter, 43-year-old Pawinee Duangnil, who died unexpectedly in Russia nearly two months ago.

Pawinee, a licensed Thai massage therapist, had traveled to Russia in October 2022 to earn a better living for her family. Tragically, she was found dead in her apartment on July 31, 2024, with initial reports suggesting she may have succumbed to exhaustion from long hours of work.

The family is devastated, having lost their primary breadwinner and now facing the added burden of not being able to return her remains for a proper religious ceremony. Despite reaching out for help, they have received little guidance on how to proceed. Local labour volunteers have only been able to file requests with provincial labour offices, but progress has been slow.

Authorities have informed the family that they must wait for the employer in Russia to handle the cremation and send the ashes back before they can obtain a death certificate and access other benefits. Although Pawinee's eldest daughter has sent a request for the cremation to proceed, almost two months have passed without any updates.

Sewiad revealed that her daughter intended to return home in October 2024 after nearly three years abroad, hoping to provide for her elderly parents and support her two children’s education. Just five days before her untimely death, they spoke about her plans to renovate their home with her savings.

The grieving family is now calling for immediate government intervention to help expedite the return of Pawinee's ashes and provide any available welfare assistance. “We have no one to turn to,” Sewiad lamented. “We just want to bring her home for the final rites.”

The local labour volunteer, Paisarn Sutla, echoed the family's plight, emphasising the emotional and financial toll this loss has taken on them. Without their main supporter, the family is struggling to cover living expenses and educational costs for the grandchildren.

As the family continues to wait in anguish, they appeal to the authorities to take swift action to resolve this painful situation.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-22

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Pawinee, a licensed Thai massage therapist, had traveled to Russia in October 2022 to earn a better living for her family. Tragically, she was found dead in her apartment on July 31, 2024, with initial reports suggesting she may have succumbed to exhaustion from long hours of work.

Condolences and all that, did she pay an agent to go to Russia ? I find it hard to believe, one could die from exhaustion by just giving massages, was there no Autopsy carried       out ?  Who got her the 'Job' and correct visa ? you don't just turn up in a country and start work legally, or did she get conned by the agent as so many do ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

As far as I know Russia is religious too, including Putin.

So there will be a proper ceremony.

Russian religion is Russian Orthodox interpretation of Christianity. It looks down on other religions. They won't care about the Buddhist rites, so I don't know where you would come up with there being a proper ceremony. Russia is the country which is famous for its pogroms of jews and for its systemic discrimination against  Polish and Lithuanian Catholics and Jehovah Witnesses. Today, Russia uses its  Yarovaya law to persecute and to imprison protestants. The Russian mentality hasn't changed since the time it  used to send its cossacks to massacre jews in the rural villages whenever the state needed an excuse to distract from the failures of the Russian state. The only thing that changed is the victims.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

"They" say you can't die of too much hard work.

That is clearly B.S.

Impossible to know until they find out what work she was doing. Only 43 and died from exhaustion sounds a little fishy. Thais work here into their 60's and more farming, which is as hard as just about any work. What is wrong is how a mother has to go away for 3 or more years while her kids are at home with grandma, which increases every year here. Dads disappear soon after a baby is born, if not earlier, and the mom thinks she needs to go elsewhere for work while rarely seeing her children. My ex's brother has been in Israel over 5 years and hasn't come back since, and has 2 girls and a wife here. This more than anything else is why birth control must be used, along with a court system that punishes men when they don't pay child support. That mom would still be alive if she stayed here for work, and the kids would do much better, especially if they have no dad.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Russian religion is Russian Orthodox interpretation of Christianity. It looks down on other religions. They won't care about the Buddhist rites, so I don't know where you would come up with there being a proper ceremony. Russia is the country which is famous for its pogroms of jews and for its systemic discrimination against  Polish and Lithuanian Catholics and Jehovah Witnesses. Today, Russia uses its  Yarovaya law to persecute and to imprison protestants. The Russian mentality hasn't changed since the time it  used to send its cossacks to massacre jews in the rural villages whenever the state needed an excuse to distract from the failures of the Russian state. The only thing that changed is the victims.

Interesting post.

I did not know that Christian Russian Church doesn't have proper funerals with appropriate ceremonies. 😂

3 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

The issue is not whether one religion is more tolerant than another. That can be a subjective opinion for some. Rather,  what I wrote was historically accurate.

Fact: Russia had state sanctioned pogroms where jews were intentionally massacred. State sanctioned persecution of Russian jews continued until the Gorbachev era. 

Fact: Russia had state sanctioned persecution of Polish and Lithuanian Catholics.

Fact: Jehova Witnesses are persecuted in Russia.

Fact: Yarovaya laws are now used to persecute protestants, and in particular to prevent their operations, to imprison their clergy and to seize their teaching materials including their bibles.

Fact: Theravada Buddhism as practiced in Thailand is not a recognized religion in Russia. Only  Vajrayana variant is allowed subject to its clergy being state approved.

Therefore, my original position remains. 

So Russia then. Nothing to do with Orthodox church

See Greece.

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

It is possible she was stressed due to being a "breadwinner" to her selfish family and simply died of some underlying disease.

How cruel and disrespectful you are. You have no idea as to the family circumstances to call the family selfish. The woman had one child a minor, cared for by her elderly parents. It is expensive to raise a child. The grandparents were  providing stability and 24/7 care and that is worth something.

In Thailand, the parents care  and support their children with the reasonable expectation that the children will care for the parent in old age. This is is  how itis done in nations that are not welfare states.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Patong2021 said:

The issue is not whether one religion is more tolerant than another. That can be a subjective opinion for some. Rather,  what I wrote was historically accurate.

Fact: Russia had state sanctioned pogroms where jews were intentionally massacred. State sanctioned persecution of Russian jews continued until the Gorbachev era. 

Fact: Russia had state sanctioned persecution of Polish and Lithuanian Catholics.

Fact: Jehova Witnesses are persecuted in Russia.

Fact: Yarovaya laws are now used to persecute protestants, and in particular to prevent their operations, to imprison their clergy and to seize their teaching materials including their bibles.

Fact: Theravada Buddhism as practiced in Thailand is not a recognized religion in Russia. Only  Vajrayana variant is allowed subject to its clergy being state approved.

Therefore, my original position remains. 

Not arguing with all that but I find it funny that Trumpist type pro white Christian nationalists backing Putin over democrats in their own country don't seem to realize how pervasive Islam is in Russia. Many are even moving there now to get away from the "Satanic" woke and LGBT stuff in the west.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

I just did an internet search for Buddhism in Russia and the results are quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Russia

Depending of course where she was living in Russia she may be able to get a Buddhist cremation, though it is unlikely to be a Thai Buddhist cremation.

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

Interesting post.

I did not know that Christian Russian Church doesn't have proper funerals with appropriate ceremonies. 😂

Why would think that the Orthodox church have a Buddhist funeral ceremony? Do you think a Baptist Church would put on a Roman Catholic funeral? A mosque would host a Bahai funeral?

Nor should an Orthodox Church be expected to provide a funeral for a Buddhist. It is not a reasonable expectation  because the deceased was not baptized into the faith and did not accept the  teachings of the church.

4 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

This is is  how itis done in nations that are not welfare states.

Yea.... maybe to a Farang mug who only travelled to Thailand and Filipinz

I was born in a poor country. None of our families did like that

• Haha 1

Just now, billd766 said:

I just did an internet search for Buddhism in Russia and the results are quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Russia

Depending of course where she was living in Russia she may be able to get a Buddhist cremation, though it is unlikely to be a Thai Buddhist cremation.

Buddhism in Russia is a bit of a sham, much like it is China. The recognized apparatus must be state approved.  As you note, it is not Thervada buddhism and is a variant of Vajrayana. One of the Russian Lamas objected to the invasion of Ukraine and was labeled an enemy agent. He fled for his life and now lives in exile. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yea.... maybe to a Farang mug who only travelled to Thailand and Filipinz

I was born in a poor country. None of our families did like that

That chip on your shoulder must be very heavy.

Yes, and  your origins  do show. Perhaps the reason why your country was poor was that it did not have a culture where families cared for each other.

Just now, Patong2021 said:

That chip on your shoulder must be very heavy.

Yes, and  your origins  do show. Perhaps the reason why your country was poor was that it did not have a culture where families cared for each other.

They actually do care. We do not send our daughters to prostitute themselves just because we do not have Western salaries.

19 minutes ago, christopher law said:

What is the Thailand Embassy in Moscow doing to help this family? Her cause of death sounds suspicious….

Embassy has nothing to do with corpses, whatever Moscow, Berling or Machumba. 

and actually why do they have to do anything? Some "licensed Thai massage therapist" ended up far-far away from home. Unlucky (as thai ppl say)

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not arguing with all that but I find it funny that Trumpist type pro white Christian nationalists backing Putin over democrats in their own country don't seem to realize how pervasive Islam is in Russia. Many are even moving there now to get away from the "Satanic" woke and LGBT stuff in the west.

If only more of them moved to Russia, the USA could rid itself of Russian stooges and hateful people. Of course, they wouldn't last very long. As soon as they find out they  can't complain about  everything and shoot up the local school, they would get homesick, especially after they had to  eat Russian cuisine 7 days a week.  They don't have Chik fil-a or Taco Bell in the outer oblasts. They might have Potato Pieter and Valeri Vodka outlets. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Why would think that the Orthodox church have a Buddhist funeral ceremony? Do you think a Baptist Church would put on a Roman Catholic funeral? A mosque would host a Bahai funeral?

Nor should an Orthodox Church be expected to provide a funeral for a Buddhist. It is not a reasonable expectation  because the deceased was not baptized into the faith and did not accept the  teachings of the church.

Apparently you don't know that Buddhists could either be burned or buried. So there are definitely no obstacles to have a decent funeral in Russia.

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

They actually do care. We do not send our daughters to prostitute themselves just because we do not have Western salaries.

That chip is sure weighing you down. And yet for all your disdain for Thai culture, here you are  obsessed with the country and desiring to live in Thailand. Why is that? If it is so bad, why would you want to be in Thailand. Surely your homeland is so much better that you would be more comfortable there.

Just now, Patong2021 said:

That chip is sure weighing you down. And yet for all your disdain for Thai culture, here you are  obsessed with the country and desiring to live in Thailand. Why is that? If it is so bad, why would you want to be in Thailand. Surely your homeland is so much better that you would be more comfortable there.

I live here because it is better for me financially. As soon as that stops being the case I will be out of here.....and back to Canada or Serbia or wherever I fancy. I do not pretent Thailand is a great place just because I am stuck here.

I did a Canadian PR for my wife last year. The only reason we are back is because she has an awesome job thanks to her non selfish parents who were also poor but did not send her away to prostitute herself and instead worked hard to invest in her education.

But i guess that is the difference between Thai and Chinese culture.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

Apparently you don't know that Buddhists could either be burned or buried. So there are definitely no obstacles to have a decent funeral in Russia.

Don't dig yourself  into a deeper hole. When is the last Thai funeral you attended where the body was not cremated? Thai buddhists  almost never embalm or bury corpses. Ethnic Chinese and Christians can do that. Thai muslims bury within 24 hours. 

There are multiple obstacles to a decent funeral for a Thai in Russia.  The Thai ceremony is supposed to be carried out at a wat or family home. Family and close friends should be in attendance. There should be a monk in attendance. This is to allow for the  daily prayers and the giving of alms  and a presentation of robes. None of that can happen in Russia. There isn't a Theravada wat, there are no Theravada monks and there are no family members. The funeral is also for the living.

This is why the family wants either the body or the cremated remains returned as quickly as possible so that a proper Thai funeral can be given. Thai people put a great deal of emphasis upon respecting their  traditions and the  funeral is a major event, particularly for the parents who must attend to their  child.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand moving to another country to find a better life and to provide support for your family, but Russia would have to be the lowest country on the list. What an incredibly dark, depressing and horrific place to live. I hope I never have to visit that forsaken pit of desolation. 

If I'm wrong, if you are aware of some wonderful things that the Russian nation is doing for the planet, please let me know. I would love to hear about that.