Small Claims Court

JimTripper

Can a foreigner file a small claims court case on their own in Thailand and address the court, or is it required to hire a lawyer?

Language would not be an issue. There would be a digital interpreter for text and spoken language. Is it possible to apply at the courthouse like someone would do in the USA?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

Yes, foreigners can lodge a complaint in a **small claims court** in Thailand. Thai law generally allows both Thai citizens and foreigners to file lawsuits in small claims court, provided that the issue falls within the court's jurisdiction. 

Key considerations:
1. **Jurisdiction**: The court must have jurisdiction over the matter, which typically involves claims related to civil or commercial disputes, such as breaches of contract, property issues, or small monetary claims.
2. **Legal Representation**: While legal representation is not mandatory in small claims court, it is often advisable for complex matters. Foreigners can represent themselves, but a Thai lawyer may be helpful due to language barriers or unfamiliarity with Thai legal procedures.
3. **Residency Status**: A foreigner doesn't need to be a resident of Thailand to file a claim, but the case must have a connection to Thailand, such as an event occurring within the country or a defendant residing in Thailand.

Foreigners are advised to seek legal advice to ensure they follow the correct procedures.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

There would be a digital interpreter for text and spoken language.

Does this "digital interpreter" also know all relevant laws?

And does it understand "court language"? As far as I know that is not the same as proper Thai language. 

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does this "digital interpreter" also know all relevant laws?

And does it understand "court language"? As far as I know that is not the same as proper Thai language. 

I'm not sure it needs to for a contractual dispute.

I'm thinking it would be more like just handing over the contract and the judge takes it from there requiring proof of payment or hearing a defense against it.

20 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm not sure it needs to for a contractual dispute.

I'm thinking it would be more like just handing over the contract and the judge takes it from there requiring proof of payment or hearing a defense against it.

Let's just assume for a minute that that would happen.

And then maybe the lawyer of the guy who you think should pay tells the judge that because of paragraph x and y he didn't pay.

And then?

Do you think the judge will then argue for you?

Or your "digital interpreter" will suggest something?

That sounds a little naive to me.

Maybe in a couple of years AI can do all that. But I am pretty sure until now it cannot.

And somehow, I would be surprised if a Thai judge would have a lot of patience in such a case.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's just assume for a minute that that would happen.

And then maybe the lawyer of the guy who you think should pay tells the judge that because of paragraph x and y he didn't pay.

And then?

Do you think the judge will then argue for you?

Or your "digital interpreter" will suggest something?

That sounds a little naive to me.

Maybe in a couple of years AI can do all that. But I am pretty sure until now it cannot.

And somehow, I would be surprised if a Thai judge would have a lot of patience in such a case.

It's a speech translator, not AI. I'm assuming the counterargument needs to be reasonable for the judge to ask for a defense. In that case they deserve one.